Smartphone Stolen, I've Found The Thief But I'm Scared To Get It Back. Advices ?

anthobkk

Hey,

Last week I went to khaosan road with my friends, got some buckets and let my phone away 5min on the table....after that someone took it already.

2 days ago, I realize that the person who took my phone forgot to reset it and then (thanks to google and my dropbox) I was able to see his current location (living place and working place).

On my dropbox I've also found that the pictures he took with my phone was uploaded into my account. Now I can see his face, his friends and exactly where he works. (a Shisha shop not far from Khaosan).

he also add some of his friends name into my google account so i have their name and their phone number.

Now I want my phone back, I'd like to go to the police station of Khaosan tomorow after work but I don't want to make him any problem, I don't want money or anything, I just want my phone back that's all. Some of my friends told me to give up because it could be very dangerous after that, even if I just ask my phone, then if i go back there again they could try to get a revenge....

I'm quite scared now and actually I don't know what to do. My phone is really expensive and I need it to work and I really don't want to buy a new one...but also i'm not sure if it worth it to get it back if i may get stabbed in the stomach next time i'm going there....

What would you do ??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a Thai friend with you if possible ,Just tell the person you know he has your phone, doe he want to see pictures of himself with it. make certain you do it in the place of work in public , he will not want to lose face as so called., Tell if you will call the police now if he does not return it to you.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

Lose face are for thai but..he is not Thai, he looks more than Nepali or Burmese.

I'm going there with my girfriend, and the one who told me to be careful is a good friend from burma who works in a bucket in KSR....that's why I don't know what to do.

Maybe I will go there alone and not let the police go with me, but if he says no...and run away, then what ? I don't want to start a fight in the street 10 vs 1

If you're that intimidated, make friends with some Tourist Police, lay your cards on the table and bring them along. You might need to give them a tip for their time and trouble (I know it's their job but TiT), but on the plus side they might just be willing to arrest they guy.

At least you'll feel safer confronting him, and the TP will give you some leverage in forcing him to hand it over.

Let them know you are offering a 1000/1500 baht reward.

I presume your phone is worth, 12-15-18,000 baht?

yep, my phone is 18k now.

Another problem, what if this guy just bought the phone ? On the location history on google, there's no activity for two days...then if i ask him my phone back he will just tell me he bought it...

It's still yours - as long as you can prove it.

The cops probably won't bother a receiving stolen property even if there is such a charge here.

But you could offer a reward for him turning in the guy he got if from if you're that motivated.

Personally I'd settle for just getting the phone back, pushing it further could yield unintended consequences.

Lose face are for thai but..he is not Thai, he looks more than Nepali or Burmese.

I'm going there with my girfriend, and the one who told me to be careful is a good friend from burma who works in a bucket in KSR....that's why I don't know what to do.

Maybe I will go there alone and not let the police go with me, but if he says no...and run away, then what ? I don't want to start a fight in the street 10 vs 1

How on earth do you work in a bucket??

Take at least 2 guys with you, you can block him then and that's very intimidating, no need much words then. Perhaps I would not start about the phone rightway but do some socializing first and offer him a beer so he know's you're basically a good guy or whatever. Make him soft first then tell him what you coming for. Make it as smooth and easy as possible for him to get away with this just by handing over the phone, by staying in the 'no big deal, nothing personal modus'.

How on earth do you work in a bucket??

-

Used to be cheap travel agencies.

Now bars that sell cheap booze, couple hundred baht per - wait for it - bucket, as in with a straw.

Thanks for that Palman had me stuck for a while never having been to KSR as they call it and with no real intent to. Funny though no "buckets" here in Phuket that I know of.

It's still yours - as long as you can prove it.

The cops probably won't bother a receiving stolen property even if there is such a charge here.

But you could offer a reward for him turning in the guy he got if from if you're that motivated.

Personally I'd settle for just getting the phone back, pushing it further could yield unintended consequences.

He can prove it,I'd suggest showing the police at the station the pictures you have of this lowlife,before they go to arrest him!

Jeeez man, someone stole something expensive from you and you are pissing your pants because you don't want to cause HIM any trouble.

For the love of Buddha, go get your phone and make it known he is lucky you aren't telling his employer.

I just couldn't live with myself if I let people just walk all over me like that.

• Like 2

To the OP.................

One thing that i haven't seen mentioned is you reporting your phone stolen to the police. Have you done this and received a report?

If not, before you do anything else in your quest to recover your phone (legal or otherwise) report it as stolen and get it in their system.

If you have already done this, then all that is left is to do what you gotta do to get it back.......................wink.png

One thing that i haven't seen mentioned is you reporting your phone stolen to the police. Have you done this and received a report?

If not, before you do anything else in your quest to recover your phone (legal or otherwise) report it as stolen and get it in their system.

If you have already done this, then all that is left is to do what you gotta do to get it back.......................wink.png

There are 1000s of phones stolen every day do you think the police will take any notice in all honesty.

There are 1000s of phones stolen every day do you think the police will take any notice in all honesty.

Not sure he means for the police to go with him. Just report it to them so it is in the system. Then he can go get the thing back and if the guy jumps up and down about it he can call the police himself and they have it reported as stolen.

Take at least 2 guys with you, you can block him then and that's very intimidating, no need much words then. Perhaps I would not start about the phone rightway but do some socializing first and offer him a beer so he know's you're basically a good guy or whatever. Make him soft first then tell him what you coming for. Make it as smooth and easy as possible for him to get away with this just by handing over the phone, by staying in the 'no big deal, nothing personal modus'.

offer him a beer?go to the police offer them a reward.If he is nepali or burmese the police will be happy to get the phone back.

Not sure he means for the police to go with him. Just report it to them so it is in the system. Then he can go get the thing back and if the guy jumps up and down about it he can call the police himself and they have it reported as stolen.

Cheers FDog, that's exactly what I meant. If the OP decides to go the legal route, he needs to have that report. If he needs to claim on insurance the same applies.

Hi anthobkk,

I don't spose you I can borrow 18k, I promise to give it back. (but if I don't, I know i can rub it into your face). cheesy.gif gezz......

Everyone knows that if you are buying a cheap iphone it is 99% stolen, it even has farlang accounts on it.

​If you are that sensitive, get your GF to rent a cop and let him recover it. If the guy doesn't give it up he will be arrested. The crim wont even know you. Your GF may not want to as they are scared of all cops. Many are very helpful for a small incentive for them to do their job. (1000B)

• Like 1