Robbed At Suvarnabhumi By Security?

Fixed the title.

Worrying even though it's from 2008 and the security arrangements have changed.

Common sense that you need to be ultra careful with your belongings and check anything valuable and portable immediately you recover it from the scanner.

I went through the article and can't seem to find out how they think the money was stolen? Before it went into the Xray machine? Doesn't seem it could have happened after as they were standing there waiting for it. And I doubt there's a place where they can just open a flap and put their hands inside. Otherwise they'd never back things up to review items.

Any thoughts???

I went through the article and can't seem to find out how they think the money was stolen? Before it went into the Xray machine? Doesn't seem it could have happened after as they were standing there waiting for it. And I doubt there's a place where they can just open a flap and put their hands inside. Otherwise they'd never back things up to review items.

Any thoughts???

Yes, I have several but I better keep them to myself.

Yermanee wai.gif

As mentioned above, the linked worrying tale is circa early 2008.

There were several threads here regarding thefts at security check-points early on at SBIA/BKK circa 2006 - 2008. I don't recall any incidents reported in threads over the last few years. That's not to say it might not happen or that one shouldn't be careful and alert, or that they aren't other potential theft issues with baggage handlers and left-luggage services. Better employee screening and monitoring, customer feedback and public blogging and increased video surveillance probably all help to reduce theft?

Yes, there have been other problems: excise dept. shakedowns, king power shoplifting, and probably a few more.

Edited by lomatopo

I had items swiped from checked baggage in 2009 departing Suvarnabhumi to Brisbane, my Garmin and other items, in hind sight I should have had the case shrink wrapped at the Airport. Didn't bother to report it, as of course the theft wasn't discovered till I unpacked on the Gold Coast.

I believe theft is rampant in most Airports around the world.

BW.

Any thoughts???

Apparently they saw a video?

As mentioned above, the linked worrying tale is circa early 2008.There were several threads here regarding thefts at security check-points early on at SBIA/BKK circa 2006 - 2008. I don't recall any incidents reported in threads over the last few years. That's not to say it might not happen or that one shouldn't be careful and alert, or that they aren't other potential theft issues with baggage handlers and left-luggage services. Better employee screening and monitoring, customer feedback and public blogging and increased video surveillance probably all help to reduce theft?Yes, there have been other problems: excise dept. shakedowns, king power shoplifting, and probably a few more.

Yes it does seem to be an old item

A friend was having an argument with the limo desk at Swampy and had put his money to pay for it on the desk. He turned around to argue with someone who appeared and the original limo sales person knicked his money but they all denied they had seen it there. So he called a cop and asked him to look at the security footage. The cop went off saying he would look at it. Eventually he came back saying so sorry the angle of the camera made it impossible to see the desk properly.

Obviously they are all in on these scams, just like the Kingpower scam and the fake excise officer scam etc, etc.

I don't know how they would have got the money from the belt but some have pick pocket or card sharp type skills. I once caught a guy working in a Bank of Ayudhya forex booth on Silom Road. If you changed foreign money in around B10,000 he would count the 1,000 baht notes very slowly in front of you to make it look very clear there were 10 of them but, in fact, he counted one of them twice and slipped another under the counter. So when I accused him he counted again and I noticed him slip the note he had just hidden back on top of the desk and told the ,<snip> knew what he was up to. I wrote to the head of foreign exchange at Bank of Ayudhya using my Bangkok office address and described the incident in detail. He didn't even bother to acknowledge the complaint. Just another <snip> farang complaining about being cheated by his bank. Why should he care about that? He was busy scamming the bank and its customers too.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

Baggage handlers are still pilfering at Swampy. Last year flying back from Manila I had a zip bag that was padlocked opened and an apple keyboard and chocolate fountain removed and rezipped. Only discovered after unpacking. Unfortunately not all airports have shrink wrapping facilities.

Baggage handlers are still pilfering at Swampy. Last year flying back from Manila I had a zip bag that was padlocked opened and an apple keyboard and chocolate fountain removed and rezipped. Only discovered after unpacking. Unfortunately not all airports have shrink wrapping facilities.

And how did you determine this was done at Swampy?

And how did you determine this was done at Swampy?

Exactly what I was thinking .