Do You Support Thaksin?

Viper

I may be a little late in the discusion about this subject and I appologies if it has been mentioned previously.

It seems to me that our hosts are very very uptight about the circumstances happening regarding the elections. What inspired me to write here, was a conversation I just had with my girl friends brother. I mensioned that thaksin was a good business man, and expressed some feeling i have about him regarding his great negociating powers and business skills that have got him where he is now. I didnt realy get to say what i wanted to say and it seemed to get into a hugh debate and further still he was not prepared to listen to me, and what i was saying was bull s**t.

Apparently im "just a farang and dont know". I wasnt really saying that I like or dislike Mr Thaksin, but i do feel that politics is a little like religeon and brings about violence and hatred just like I experienced today.

I suggest dont get into a debate regarding this subject as it could land you in alot of trouble.

But are there any farang on Thaksin's side, and why? Is it not true that Thaksin will alow farang to buy property here?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that Thai people who know nothing about politics jumped on the taksin bandwagon and now don't like to lose face.

Many are changing their minds now as they realise that so many want him out

- it's no longer thought of as a great loss of face that they were wrong.

I don't support him. and netiher hate - why should I ?

can't say about ALL farangs :o and neither about all Thais.

my wife told me first she has supported him, then after seeing certin things - not any more. but she doesn't think that opposition ahs anybody who can perform better.

so, only in this sense, that there is no other person at the moment who could be better - sort of indirectly, I think IF Thai people re-elect him then let him stay till someone better candidate surfaces.

personally I would think Anan Panyarachun would be best from all available at the moment. and I heard some Thai people telling me some opinion. but all know that he won't agree to become PM.

so, what can be done about it ?

Is it not true that Thaksin will alow farang to buy property here?

You are talking about the Mr. Thaksin who runs the 'Thai Rak Thai' political party are you?

The one who has used 'Nationalism' to manipulate the Thais in order to gain and maintain political party?

Or is there another Mr. Thaksin running a 'Thai Rak Farang' party, hurtling to political annialation for supporting what Thais regard as 'Selling the Country'.

A word of advice on relaxing foreign ownership laws, quit dreaming, it aint going to happen.

My money is on tightenning of the laws, and possibly moves to tax those non trading front companies that many foreigners are using to get around the law.

'

I mensioned that thaksin was a good business man, and expressed some feeling i have about him regarding his great negociating powers and business skills that have got him where he is now. I didnt realy get to say what i wanted to say and it seemed to get into a hugh debate and further still he was not prepared to listen to me, and what i was saying was bull s**t.

Well, i would say that your girlfriend's brother is right.

Thaksin got where he is by first building up his business in the privatisation of the telecom sector through family connection of his and especially his wife's family. This business here in Thailand has never been exactly what you might call an open and fair market.

There are a few books on Thaksin and Thai politics in general. You may want to read them before getting into very difficult subjects such as the phenomenon of Thaksin's rise.

He should be booted. I've never trusted the people involved with the telcoms industry in Thailand. There has been corruption there since its inception. Nowadays poor people who make virtually nothing are spending excessive amounts of money on cellphones every year as a result of the big cellphone push in Thailand. The Telephone Organisation of Thailand should have made changes way back to make landlines affordable in Thailand but starngely they didn't. Why? A landline ten years back cost around 7,000 baht. that was before the devaluation of the baht! Strangely about a few years ago landlines dropped to around 2500 baht or so. The baht then was around 40/$1. The question is why was there such a dramatic drop in prices and why couldn't it have been done years ago? There are many other factors pointing to corruption in the Telephone Organization of Thailand and by the Government in terms of the telecom industry. I would say that generally doing nothing to improve the landline systems in Thailand resulted a telecom boom! Thaksin and others benefited from this. This seems to be Thaksin philosphy. Let everything fall apart so that the private sector can step in. The hospitals,schools,etc. Anyways that's my take on it.

Of course, I am anti-Thaksin.

i, like the vast majority of thais, support thaksin.

i wasn't all that keen before but after weeks and weeks of seeing a small unrepresentative mob trying to oust the democratically elected PM i've started to take his side.

the sondhi lot lost all credibility when they refused to take part in the april 2 election.

it's a good things thais are so calm or the people who voted thaksin in would have confronted the anti mob by now. they must be getting very annoyed that these people are trying to force out the man they voted for.

i wasn't all that keen before but after weeks and weeks of seeing a small unrepresentative mob trying to oust the democratically elected PM i've started to take his side.

the sondhi lot lost all credibility when they refused to take part in the april 2 election.

it's a good things thais are so calm or the people who voted thaksin in would have confronted the anti mob by now. they must be getting very annoyed that these people are trying to force out the man they voted for.

:o:D:D

"i, like the vast majority of thais, support thaksin." Like the vast majority of the uneducated Thais.....

"i wasn't all that keen before but after weeks and weeks of seeing a small unrepresentative mob trying to oust the democratically elected PM i've started to take his side."

50-100.000 people, with support from basically 95 % of the south and most of the educated or middle class people.

"the sondhi lot lost all credibility when they refused to take part in the april 2 election." Sondhi should take part as what exactly? He has no party........ And due to the short time to the election there is not even time to found the "Sondhi rak Thai" party. It is impossible that he take part.....

"they must be getting very annoyed that these people are trying to force out the man they voted for." No they get again the money for voting him....

I really recommend you don't only belive what some isaan rice farmer explain to you. A good recommendation is reading, both the Nation and Bangkok Post are secret keys to more knowlege

OK OK, the nation sometimes know even more than the involved people....

But as one of some sources it is OK......

I really recommend you don't only belive what some isaan rice farmer explain to you. A good recommendation is reading, both the Nation and Bangkok Post are secret keys to more knowlege

The Nation? :o:D:D:D

i, like the vast majority of thais, support thaksin. 60.7% voted for TRT over a year ago .... not too sure that you'll see ANYTHING like those results on April 2 IF an election takes place.

i wasn't all that keen before but after weeks and weeks of seeing a small unrepresentative mob trying to oust the democratically elected PM i've started to take his side. That "Mob" is a well disciplined group peacefully demonstrating against what they see as injustice.

the sondhi lot lost all credibility when they refused to take part in the april 2 election. Sondhi and the folks of the PAD are not running for office and not boycotting the elections.

it's a good things thais are so calm or the people who voted thaksin in would have confronted the anti mob by now. they must be getting very annoyed that these people are trying to force out the man they voted for. No one voted FOR Thaksin directly ... it doesn't work that way here ... they voted for TRT .. you may equate them as the same but in reality they are not.

Pretty amazing post there ....!! :o

i, like the vast majority of thais, support thaksin. 60.7% voted for TRT over a year ago .... not too sure that you'll see ANYTHING like those results on April 2 IF an election takes place.

i wasn't all that keen before but after weeks and weeks of seeing a small unrepresentative mob trying to oust the democratically elected PM i've started to take his side. That "Mob" is a well disciplined group peacefully demonstrating against what they see as injustice.

the sondhi lot lost all credibility when they refused to take part in the april 2 election. Sondhi and the folks of the PAD are not running for office and not boycotting the elections.

it's a good things thais are so calm or the people who voted thaksin in would have confronted the anti mob by now. they must be getting very annoyed that these people are trying to force out the man they voted for. No one voted FOR Thaksin directly ... it doesn't work that way here ... they voted for TRT .. you may equate them as the same but in reality they are not.

you can also add that many many vote for him because they got 200-300 baht for voting, actually vote buying is illigal in most countries, not sure but I guess Thailand also has a law against it, or?

As well these people would have vote for the soi dog as well if it would have paied them. That has nothing to do with democratic.....

He even gave money in the south. My wifes sister drink heineken on toxins costs and got 200 baht from toxin (and voted than democrates)

I guess thats normal, most take the money from every party I think.

I know someone who's smart enough to take money from all parties stupid enough to come knocking at his door with a few hundred baht.

A lovely free family dinner for all every election. :o

Edited by h90

you can also add that many many vote for him because they got 200-300 baht for voting, actually vote buying is illigal in most countries, not sure but I guess Thailand also has a law against it, or?

As well these people would have vote for the soi dog as well if it would have paied them. That has nothing to do with democratic.....

He even gave money in the south. My wifes sister drink heineken on toxins costs and got 200 baht from toxin (and voted than democrates)

He didnt buy votes at the first election...He promised every village would receive 1M baht...he just forgot to tell them it was a loan that had to paid back with interest.... :D

:o

I know definitly from people that they got money for the first vote of him.

The 1 Mill and other loans were a second additional case.....

He didnt buy votes at the first election...He promised every village would receive 1M baht...he just forgot to tell them it was a loan that had to paid back with interest.... :D

:o

Rather bold statement there. For the first election of Thaksin most of the professors here thought it would be positive. Now every prof I talked to about this gives me a odd look and then goes into a tiraide about his abilities. Some comments were quite un-Thai like and won't repeat here. So this 'vast majority' of Thais doesn't seem to include the educated.

//Edit - Just realized that last statement implied that you were not educated and is not meant as such. You have your own reasons to support him and I will respect that.

Edited by tywais

I have been watching CNN & BBC and I think alot of people don't really know the full story. My Thai bf told me that Sondhi Limthongkul and Thaksin were in business together. Thaksin kept money from Sondhi so I was told. Another thing is that the opposition party are boycotting the Election cause they don't want to be in Government, they just want Thaksin out. But when you see stories like this one it's a little hard to like the guy. It seems politicians are very good at looking after themselves when it comes to money and expect the poor to pay more.

I must say this though, when the financial crisis happened (what 97?) he managed to pay back the massive debt very quickly using his own money so I guess he figures any government money is his own. Thaksin is a very good businessman yes, he has money in everybody elses name except his. His wife, Son, Daughter, Shauffer, maids, gardener....... His best mate is the shauffer. I am sure the full story will never be known cause Thaksin is good at avoiding issues and just blaming others.

The Nation, Thailand

Sondhi alleges Thaksin signs FTA with Australia, China to benefit his IP Star

13 January 2006

Sondhi Limthongkul, founder of the Manger Group, alleged that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra signed free trade agreement contracts with Australia and China with ulterior motive to benefit telecom businesses of his family.

Sondhi said the FTA contracts with Australia and China had severely affected villagers and farmers but the IP Star satellite project of Shin Corp, owned by Thaksin’s family, stood to benefit greatly.

Sondhi said the FTA contracts with Australia affected daily farmers and villagers who made and sold locally-brew liquors as Australia could export milk and spirits to Thailand with no tariff.

At the same time, the FTA contract with China caused garlic and onion farmers to suffer with influx of cheaper garlic and onion from China but the telecom businesses of Thaksin’s family could expand to China.

I may be a little late in the discusion about this subject and I appologies if it has been mentioned previously.

It seems to me that our hosts are very very uptight about the circumstances happening regarding the elections. What inspired me to write here, was a conversation I just had with my girl friends brother. I mensioned that thaksin was a good business man, and expressed some feeling i have about him regarding his great negociating powers and business skills that have got him where he is now. I didnt realy get to say what i wanted to say and it seemed to get into a hugh debate and further still he was not prepared to listen to me, and what i was saying was bull s**t.

Apparently im "just a farang and dont know". I wasnt really saying that I like or dislike Mr Thaksin, but i do feel that politics is a little like religeon and brings about violence and hatred just like I experienced today.

I suggest dont get into a debate regarding this subject as it could land you in alot of trouble.

But are there any farang on Thaksin's side, and why? Is it not true that Thaksin will alow farang to buy property here?

Wake up people! Thaksin is as good as it gets.

Just watch what happens after he is gone. Very sad.

Like the vast majority of the uneducated Thais.....

so they don't have a right to an opinion just because they weren't taught by some israeli backpacker with a joke degree at an international school? the masses have spoken already, shame you didnt hear what they said.

50-100.000 people, with support from basically 95 % of the south and most of the educated or middle class people.

ooooh big deal. how many people live in thailand? you are in the minority.

Sondhi should take part as what exactly? He has no party........

yes this is the key point. its easy to stand there moaning, but how about trying to offer a credible alternative? guess that part was just too difficult to grasp

No they get again the money for voting him....

and schemes that help the poor. sorry there wasn't a tax reduction on skin whitening cream for the bangkok posse.

maybe if you read them regularly yourself you wouldn't reply in pigeon english? guess that ''english teacher'' wasn't up to scratch pal!

i wasn't all that keen before but after weeks and weeks of seeing a small unrepresentative mob trying to oust the democratically elected PM i've started to take his side. That "Mob" is a well disciplined group peacefully demonstrating against what they see as injustice. And that small "unrepresentative mob" is actually just representing a view that apparently you don't share!

vote buying .. scary ... but not as scary as left's posts!

Edited by jdinasia

Like the vast majority of the uneducated Thais.....

so they don't have a right to an opinion just because they weren't taught by some israeli backpacker with a joke degree at an international school? the masses have spoken already, shame you didnt hear what they said.

no but if you controll the mass media it is very easy to lie to them and they don't find it out. An educated might find out that Toxin is basically never speaking the true

ooooh big deal. how many people live in thailand? you are in the minority.

yes but it should concern you if big parts of the socity completely disagree with the leader and he only gets vote for money from uneducated

Sondhi should take part as what exactly? He has no party........

yes this is the key point. its easy to stand there moaning, but how about trying to offer a credible alternative? guess that part was just too difficult to grasp

if you see that the premier is corrupt, what to do? In your opinion, you should do nothing unless you find someone who is 100 % guaranteed better?

No they get again the money for voting him....

and schemes that help the poor. sorry there wasn't a tax reduction on skin whitening cream for the bangkok posse.

and loans for the poor, if they help is another topic, and I miss your argument, why it should be OK to buy the votes? I give you money, you vote for me, is that democratic? That means they guy who spend more money will get the most votes. Isn't that against your Robin Hood ideas above to help the poor? If you accept that, forever only rich people will get in higher positions in politics.

maybe if you read them regularly yourself you wouldn't reply in pigeon english? guess that ''english teacher'' wasn't up to scratch pal!

if it wouldn't be an english forum, we could test if your german is better than my english. If you don't have any more arguments, maybe you find some other personal weaknesses on me. If my english is bad (yes it is) does that show that Taksin is a good premier, or what is the relevance here in your posting?

what is your alternative to Thaksin?

you mention the 95% people in the south who are against him....does your brave new world include giving the ethnic malays their own state as they wish????? thought not.

you asked for the comment about your english with your arrogant dismissal of the working classes in isaan who keep this country going.

what is your alternative to Thaksin?

you mention the 95% people in the south who are against him....does your brave new world include giving the ethnic malays their own state as they wish????? thought not.

you asked for the comment about your english with your arrogant dismissal of the working classes in isaan who keep this country going.

Oi .... leftcross .. you're amazing political analysis keeps me coming back! From whingeing on about the protests bothering you ... to your strong defense of the farmers in Isaan ..... to your overstatement about your inportance in the relative scheme of things in Thailand! You amaze me! :o

:o:D:D

i'm not normally political, but this whole thing has really sparked me off for some reason....

i don't like to hear the so-called middle classes having a pop at the workers of the country by labelling them ignorant or uneducated and unable to choose who they vote for.

right, i'm going to put my billy bragg CD on and dust off the citizen smith DVDs :D

With his majority Toxin pushed a new law through that candidates are only electable with a party in which they have been members for 3 months minimum.

Most of TRT party members want to exit the party and join other parties but because of this rule and the fact the election was scheduled only one month ahead they can't change party.