Older Ipod Needs A New Battery

lifeincnx

I could call it a classic iPod, which it actually is. My older 20gig iPod Classic just went south as it needs a new battery. MacZone and Apple in general doesn't make a battery for this model anymore - part of Apple's wonderful planned obsolescence strategy, The unit would make a good 2nd unit, so does anyone know of a repair/battery shop in CM which might help?

Tried a couple of shops at Pantip to no avail. Thanks all.

I have at least a 10 year old Ipod classic that has over 2,300 songs on it, mainly from non I Tunes sites. I bought an I Phone 4S last year and cant transfer the songs to the phone. At the Apple store, they told me it was because the songs were not from I Tunes. They also told me that there was no Apple approved method to transfer the songs to my I Phone. I have seen web sites that will transfer from I Pod to computer but haven't seen web sites to transfer from I Pod to I Phone. I am content to keep the I Pod but if it is going to fall apart in the near future, I would like to transfer the songs to a computer, and preferably to my I Phone. I'll be in Thailand for the month of July and will bring both the Ipod and I Phone and will be in Bangkok for a couple of days and then CM for 3 weeks. If there isn't a web site to do the transfer, is there a shop in either city that can?

I have at least a 10 year old Ipod classic that has over 2,300 songs on it, mainly from non I Tunes sites. I bought an I Phone 4S last year and cant transfer the songs to the phone. At the Apple store, they told me it was because the songs were not from I Tunes. They also told me that there was no Apple approved method to transfer the songs to my I Phone. I have seen web sites that will transfer from I Pod to computer but haven't seen web sites to transfer from I Pod to I Phone. I am content to keep the I Pod but if it is going to fall apart in the near future, I would like to transfer the songs to a computer, and preferably to my I Phone. I'll be in Thailand for the month of July and will bring both the Ipod and I Phone and will be in Bangkok for a couple of days and then CM for 3 weeks. If there isn't a web site to do the transfer, is there a shop in either city that can?

yes does anyone know how to transfer songs that were put on my ipod nano from a friends computer onto my computer as a backup?

There should be some older apps that let you move the songs back on to your computer regardless of where they are from. I used some app I think called senuti or something like that for my older iPod 30gig.

Maybe google "transfer song iPod to computer" and see if you find some free osx or Windows XP/7 apps

• 1 month later...

The classics are easy to change the battery.

The cost of the battery in the states is like $20.

First figure out what battery you need.

http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/

Thanks for the great tip. I first tried going to Amorn (both locations) here in Chiang Mai, but the response was "too complicated" to replace the battery in older 4th gen iPods.

Bought a battery online at http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/ for just $17.00 US and it even came with tools to pop open the case and pry out the old battery. They had both written and video instructions at their site - far too easy.

Only world of caution: do take your time and be patient as both the battery and power connections are 'very' tiny and the ribbon connector to the hard drive is fragile. It only took about ten minutes to be up and running - far better than the easier, costly trash heap route for a 20 gig iPod.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I brought a couple of Ipads over from the states. I had bought them cheap on Ebay, with the screen broken. I took them to MBK (Phone Friend) and had the screens replaced. I asked him to change the battery in my Ipad. He said that he couldn't but could transfer my songs from my Ipod to my Iphone, which he did while I was waiting by transferring to his computer and then to my Iphone. He didn't charge me anything for doing it. I was surprised that about 1,700 of the 2,200 songs transferred. Is this because of the deterioration of the hard drive in the Ipod?

I may be able to assist----god know SJ will be turning in his grave but i swear he;d be dead sooner if

it were up to me and apple politics---i bought the damn thing stop being a ipod nazi--no mp3 for you!!

I am a linux guy and use nano/shuffle/ipods..it can be a bit tricky but have been able to hack them all

Yep thats right steve jobs--over 4000 songs and not ONE bought from itunes---taste the bitterness???

yes does anyone know how to transfer songs that were put on my ipod nano from a friends computer onto my computer as a backup?