Thai Govt Lashes Out At Democrats' Price Rise Claim

webfact

COST OF LIVING
Govt lashes out at Democrats' price rise claim

The Nation on Sunday

30206909-01_big.jpg

Pheu Thai official says increase in price of some goods seasonal

BANGKOK: -- The ruling Pheu Thai Party yesterday hit back at the opposition Democrat Party, dismissing its claim that the government has failed to curb rising food prices.

Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Anuttama Amornwiwat said the rising food prices were seasonal and the Ministry of Commerce had ensured a suitable price structure of consumer goods at production, trade and consumer level. She said the Democrats' claims of rising prices of some vegetables were false, according to surveys at Bang Kapi market.

Deputy Government Spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakawat denied that the government had deferred the plan to increase LPG cooking gas price because it wanted to avoid any adverse impacts on the by-election in Bangkok's Don Mueang district. Pheu Thai Party candidate Yuranan Pamornmontri is set to face off with Democrat candidate Tankhun Jittitsara in the by-election on June 16.

Sunisa said the postponement was not only to help people in Don Muang but the whole country. The opposition, she said, made only one-sided allegations and had avoided mentioning the increase in the purchasing power of consumers as a result of the rise in the minimum wage.

Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmeetrakool urged the government to present the real facts by showing price indicators of each market. The prices of chicken, pork, eggs and vegetables had increased up to 20 per cent without any sign of falling due to seasonal change.

In addition, she said the increase in prices of agricultural produce stemmed from rising electricity prices. The farm price of an egg is Bt3.2 but during the Democrat-led government the price was Bt2.9.

Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua said the increase in egg prices was due to the unusually hot weather that affects the hens. The ministry has sought cooperation from major egg producers not to increase the price until May as the government expected that by June or July the weather would return to normal and hens would be laying more eggs.

He hit back at the Democrats saying that when the Opposition was in power it came up with the world's strangest idea of selling eggs by weight - a scheme that had failed to help consumers or traders in anyway.

Natthawut added that the ministry was currently checking the number of food traders who will receive compensation when the price of cooking gas is floated and no longer subsidised. He said it had been reported to him that up to 500,000 traders would need to be compensated to avoid them passing on the price rise to consumers. The government plans to provide them with specially priced menus with recommended dishes for low-income consumers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-26

• Like 1

When the Democrats suggested selling eggs by weight I asked for them at the local market and all the egg sellers just laughed and ignored it. Eventually it was dropped unlike the price of eggs nowadays.

Edited by billd766

He hit back at the Democrats saying that when the Opposition was in power it came up with the world's strangest idea of selling eggs by weight - a scheme that had failed to help consumers or traders in anyway.

" ... but the Democrats ... "

This is not confined to Thailand, prices are rising all around the world, Identifying the culprit in some cases is easy, the wholesaler and Retailer ,the poor old producer misses out every time, ,fielding the blame on something that happened in History with the democrats , is the easy way out, the Question is , what are you , the PTP going to do to control prices, we all know some products are seasonal and some prices cannot be controlled due to outside pressure, ,but in a free market place, can you as a Party for the people control the prices, this you need to address , I seem to think that you will fail ,as you seem to do on most things that concern the good people of Thailand. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Maybe the present government would like to give the Thai people a run down on their vast array of accomplishments since taking office.I do not remember the 1 year recap that was talked about, but I guess the timing, moon, cabinet, PM, etc have not been in a favorable position as yet. The Cabinet/PM seem to spend such little time 'in country' to even have time to exolain their lack of response.

This government does seem to have a habit of, what could be termed 'deralection of duty'%

Maybe they are more afraid if they all congregated at one place, it would make it quite easy to round up all of those with various legal problems which are also seemly beingignored

Edited by slapout

Natthawut added that the ministry was currently checking the number of food traders who will receive compensation when the price of cooking gas is floated and no longer subsidised. He said it had been reported to him that up to 500,000 traders would need to be compensated to avoid them passing on the price rise to consumers. The government plans to provide them with specially priced menus with recommended dishes for low-income consumers.

YEAH, RIGHT.

JUST ANOTHER SOUND BITE FROM THE GUY WE KNOW WE CAN TRUST.

• Like 1

Seasonal - yeah!

As mentioned in the Op, chicken, pork, various vegetables & some fruit have gone up substantially in my local wet market. It is a lie to suggest that any price controls are in place in local markets because it would be impossible to implement or monitor.

This is one of the reasons that the BOT have been against lowering interest rates. PTP can spin all the yarns it likes but inflation is something that affects all Thais, especially the poorer ones.

• Like 2

" Govt lashes out..................."

anuttama amornwiwat.jpg

As a government spokesman, this nice young lady doesn't look the type to lash out at anything.

Does she? whistling.gif

Isn't she the one who wrote "Papa Smurf - Where are you?" rolleyes.gif

Something like that.

Was she the originator of the phrase - much beloved by some posters:

'I'm not a Thaksin supporter, but...........'

• Like 1

Everything has increased since the wage hike, a local (large restaurant) re-wrote it's menu and increased the price of most things by 25% .... then, when it came to increasing staff salary they classed them all as part-time and left it as it was!

Sorry Pheu Thai, but Thailand is facing real inflation now. 4 months ago, Pork at Big C was selling for 95 baht a kilo. Yesterday, the price is 159 baht.

Thai T.V, reported that the price of eggs had risen because of the hot weather- the chickens were traumatised.

Amazing.

If bacon is up, then the pigs will fly ??? Look people know that prices are on the up, they know because their wallet is emptying quicker. Isn't the government aware of this.

Sorry Pheu Thai, but Thailand is facing real inflation now. 4 months ago, Pork at Big C was selling for 95 baht a kilo. Yesterday, the price is 159 baht.

Same with pineapples, oranges and other fruit. They have more than doubled in price over the last 12 months.

I don't often eat at McDonalds but yesterday paid 34 Baht for a small coke. Last time (maybe 4 months ago ) it was 28 baht.

I don't really keep an eye on other prices but I have noticed from my credit card statements that I spend about 50% more at Big C. most weeks than I did a year ago.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

Why can't the opposition just keep quiet and allow the government to get on with misruling the country? Stop creating conflict with all this reporting of so called price rises. The government should be closing down any website, suing any person, or group, responsible, and sending a red rapid response team to ensure that it stops. And, in line with recent actions, will probably start doing so very soon. I for one think there's not enough of Yingluck in the media. Her trip to Japan should have received 24 hour live coverage on every channel, and surely there's space for another billboard or two with her picture on it on the highway to the airport? Any opposition slots need to be taken over and replaced with our dear sister leader.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 2

Same with pineapples, oranges and other fruit. They have more than doubled in price over the last 12 months.

I don't often eat at McDonalds but yesterday paid 34 Baht for a small coke. Last time (maybe 4 months ago ) it was 28 baht.

I don't really keep an eye on other prices but I have noticed from my credit card statements that I spend about 50% more at Big C. most weeks than I did a year ago.

A couple of years ago I could get a ready made up pack of DURIAN for 60 bht, go anywear now Big C, Tesco or any food outlet 160 bht. I agree with you re-shopping, if it hits us a bit, what the heck are Thai people feeling ?? they are going to the next lower priced options and these options are fading fast.

Thai T.V, reported that the price of eggs had risen because of the hot weather- the chickens were traumatised.

Amazing.

If bacon is up, then the pigs will fly ??? Look people know that prices are on the up, they know because their wallet is emptying quicker. Isn't the government aware of this.

Depends on the number of photo ops Yingluck can get out of it and a phone call from Dubai explaining about the heat.

"Natthawut added that the ministry was currently checking the number of food traders who will receive compensation when the price of cooking gas is floated and no longer subsidised. He said it had been reported to him that up to 500,000 traders would need to be compensated to avoid them passing on the price rise to consumers. The government plans to provide them with specially priced menus with recommended dishes for low-income consumers."

So, gas no longer subsidized (for all), but food traders compensated, only about half a million of them. Furthermore we, your benign government, will tell you what's good for you and what low-income folks could eat. He probably forgot to add that low-income people shouldn't eat too much anyway to avoid obesity. Thai people had to wait almost a decade (according to the Ms. Yingluck counting system) for this type of Democracy? Now waiting for a redefinition of 'seasonal'.

• Like 2