Making Friends In Bangkok?

FromAshTree

My suggestion is that you join one of the Hash House Harriers (HHH) running clubs in Bangkok. The "Hash" in the title has nothing to do with drugs. sometimes called a drinking club with a running problem, the HHH is a world wide organisation, and its a great way to meet the locals and expats in any reasonable sized town. The running is not serious and you can walk if you like, but the going can be a bit rough and muddy so don't wear high fashion gear.

The best club to look at is the Bangkok Hash House Harriettes - this club is mixed but run by ladies and they run on Sundays. Just search for the name and then select the Committee Members and call anyone listed and tell them you are new to town and would like to try a run. They will make arrangements for transportation to the run site for the day.

After a run the members all go to eat at a local restaurant. You will see more of Bangkok and its outskirts and eat at some of the cheapest and best food available. Its a great social experience and you will meet expats from all over the world as well as Thais. Have fun!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself down to Nana Plaza, all of the girls really friendly and easy to the talk to down there thumbsup.gif

Why would a 22 yo american girl make friend with Thai prostitutes ?

"TV user in missing sarcasm shocker"

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt."

Sorry don't see any sarcasm here, just someone who is trying rather pathetically not to lose face.

Get yourself down to Nana Plaza, all of the girls really friendly and easy to the talk to down there thumbsup.gif

Why would a 22 yo american girl make friend with Thai prostitutes ?

"TV user in missing sarcasm shocker"

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt."

Sorry don't see any sarcasm here, just someone who is trying rather pathetically not to lose face.

Yep, it seems you are now trying to pathetically not loose face. Don`t worry about it, it happens to the best of us biggrin.png

Here`s a better definition so you know better next time -

Noun [edit]

sarcasm (plural sarcasms)

1. (uncountable) A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Insincerely saying something which is the opposite of one's intended meaning, often to emphasize how unbelievable or unlikely it sounds if taken literally, thereby illustrating the obvious nature of one's intended meaning.
Edited by tullynagardy

Haha yeah but I don't know much about thailand (I'm doing research now of course before I go) I wouldn't know it was full of prostitutes I mean I'm asking advice about making friends, I don't expect someone to be sarcastic about it and send me to a area full of prostitutes :P

I would listen to Phuturatica's advice. Don't listen to the sweet talking beach boys. I was given some good advice by an elderly friend of my father. He said to never loan money to anyone, but just be generous. Anything you give to anyone should be considered a gift and don't expect it back. If someone asks for more than you want to give then just laugh and reply "Do I look like ATM? Does it say Bangkok Bank on my forehead?" If that is said with a laugh or a smile then nobody will be offended. Thais seem to enjoy a laugh and it helps save face for everyone.

The 19 year old daughter of my father's friend came for a visit last winter. She had a great time traveling on her own, but she is a wise young woman. If you are friendly and smile a lot then you will do fine. Just pay attention to what some others here have said. As you are already a young woman you should know about basic safety issues that apply everywhere.

• Like 1

Haha yeah but I don't know much about thailand (I'm doing research now of course before I go) I wouldn't know it was full of prostitutes I mean I'm asking advice about making friends, I don't expect someone to be sarcastic about it and send me to a area full of prostitutes tongue.png

Don't worry no one finds it sarcastic and fun to send a 22 yo girls to Thai prostitutes.

Only weirdos with a dubious sense of humor.

Yep, it seems you are now trying to pathetically not loose face. Don`t worry about it, it happens to the best of us biggrin.png

Here`s a better definition so you know better next time -

Noun [edit]

sarcasm (plural sarcasms)

1. (uncountable) A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Insincerely saying something which is the opposite of one's intended meaning, often to emphasize how unbelievable or unlikely it sounds if taken literally, thereby illustrating the obvious nature of one's intended meaning.

Edited by tullynagardy, Yesterday, 22:24 .

• MultiQuote
    • What happened to number 2? :)

This is just plain silly, you are reciprocating the face accusation without even realizing, I have nothing to lose face about.

Irony, emphasis, mockery, or any derivative of any kind of humor just don't apply here.

There is NOTHING funny/ironic about sending a young american woman who want to visit Thailand to go and make friends with prostitutes.

Unless you assume that she can not get any friends but prostitutes at the tender age of 22, which is just nonsensical and prejudiced.

How old are you ?

bra, on 28 May 2013 - 20:06, said:

My suggestion is that you join one of the Hash House Harriers (HHH) running clubs in Bangkok. The "Hash" in the title has nothing to do with drugs. sometimes called a drinking club with a running problem, the HHH is a world wide organisation, and its a great way to meet the locals and expats in any reasonable sized town. The running is not serious and you can walk if you like, but the going can be a bit rough and muddy so don't wear high fashion gear.

The best club to look at is the Bangkok Hash House Harriettes - this club is mixed but run by ladies and they run on Sundays. Just search for the name and then select the Committee Members and call anyone listed and tell them you are new to town and would like to try a run. They will make arrangements for transportation to the run site for the day.

After a run the members all go to eat at a local restaurant. You will see more of Bangkok and its outskirts and eat at some of the cheapest and best food available. Its a great social experience and you will meet expats from all over the world as well as Thais. Have fun!

I agree - the hash is a great place to meet people but it is dominated by expats and their local spouses, rather than locals with local spouses. Otherwise try young professionals networking nights or Chamber of Commerce networking nights - although they are generally designed for business networking, you can certainly go along even as a student especially if you play the part and are open-minded. Again, these types of events are dominated by foreigners but you will find a sizable number of Thais in attendance as well. When it comes to Chamber of Commerce events held by the various foreign Chambers, particularly the Australian, American, Canadian and British Chambers, most attendees are middle aged men who are a bit cliquey and thus not very receptive of newcomers. However, it is still possible to meet fun and interesting younger Thais, many of which I have met this way years ago and we are still friends to this day.

In general though, when it comes to meeting Thais, it is easiest in a university environment, particularly at the undergraduate level when Thais are independent for the first times in their lives and social interaction with as many people as possible is all the rage (Thais often go out in large groups). However, you'll find that anyone studying at the post-graduate level or working will be a lot harder to get to know and meet as Thais, despite being very friendly and easy to make friends with are actually a lot less likely to be close friends with you years down the track. Over time, most Thais tend to lose their close circle of friends and focus their attention on family and work, with only occasional "bonding sessions" i.e. short trips organized by companies the only social interaction that many Thais have with friends and then we're really talking work colleagues. It is in the workplace where many Thais get to know each other by talking about their problems and mingling over lunch, but they rarely meet up with each other outside of the workplace except on work organized company leisure trips and the like.

It is thus very different to the west, where it may take a lot longer to make a friend, but once you're friends with someone, they tend to be friends with you for life...they'll send you Christmas cards, come to your place to make dinner, offer to take care of your kids etc. none of this really happens in Thailand but as you're only in your early twenties, this shouldn't matter much but just keep in mind that you probably won't have any deep, meaningful relationships with locals, probably just nice, platonic relationships that involve karaoke sessions, nightclub visits (perhaps) and restaurant meals together in a large group where you probably won't get to know anyone very well.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

If someone has said this already, I apologize, but . . .

I'm not making any assumptions, but keep your financial status to yourself, and especially do not tell other foreigners. In fact, I'd feign a low income. Why? Every expat friend of mine in Bangkok and Pattaya, including me, has been asked to loan some money at some point. Among my friends, I've pretty much got it all back. But there's always someone who can't control their expenditures because of their "appetites" and will ask again and again. I know, to the tune of 15,000 baht. And if you do lend money, keep a record on your smartphone. But just try not to become a bank.

I'll be going to thongsook college

I'm currently looking an apartment too if anyone has an advice on that

The college is going to be west of Hwy 9 and several miles west of central Bangkok. You are out there. Where the college is you will need to learn the bus route or take a metered taxi everywhere. Avoid the tuk-tuks except in an emergency.There are several "condo villages" around the college per the map. Most apartments will be small "Thai" style. Meaning cooking is done out on your very small patio. It will have a toilet, shower, and wash sink in a closet sized room. It could be a studio or one-two bedroom. It will be noisy (thin walls). You'll need a good pad lock for your door. Unless you have a budget of about 10,000 baht and up for as nicer quiet and better equipped condo with 24 hour security, do not expect much. I once had a nice studio condo downtown Bangkok for 9K baht with a very nice view and walking distance to sky train. So you can find nice places. Expect a 1 year lease but try for a 6 month just in case you don't like the place you are in.

Start emailing or contact student groups at the college for advice. Try to make a "pen pal" with some one who goes there. I'm sure they will help you better than we can.

Good luck young lady and have fun with your new adventure.

A good way is sport Ashley (not sure if you are interested but I will tell you in case you are). Southerners sports club runs netball for ladies with training on Monday evenings in lower Sukhumvit, lot's of expat ladies there. From that they also have a lot of social events. Mainly expats, probably 75% of the club, but a lot of the guys have thai girlfriends that come to the social events and a lot of the rugby boys are thai as well. After that I would try meetup (it's a website), they have a lot of different activities in BKK (bookclubs, movie clubs, running groups, entrepreneurs group, etc) I am sure you can find some stuff on there. Lastly at your uni a lot of thai people will want to be friends with you as you will stand out and they will be interested to meet someone from a different culture. Good luck, I am sure you are going to have an amazing time over the next year or so!

Same as anywhere, If you have a hobby or sports its easy to meet people through that, Although you may have to be a bit warey about scams and tricksters etc, a bit more then back home, there are many many normal good people about. I am 27 and while I live and work in England now, I have lived in Thailand for a couple year and will most likely return in a few months! I dont normally stay in Bkk but have made many friends there both male and female - most who were at university - most studying English actually - who are good trustworthy honorable people and who pay there own way, and always would invite me out places or offer to drive to the beach etc

Dont worry you will be fine, and what a great experience at 22!

If you are really stuck in October send me a Pm, and I will see if I can get you in contact with a couple of my female, english speaking thai friends in bkk, although they are all my age and graduated already!

• Like 1

I would listen to Phuturatica's advice. Don't listen to the sweet talking beach boys. I was given some good advice by an elderly friend of my father. He said to never loan money to anyone, but just be generous. Anything you give to anyone should be considered a gift and don't expect it back. If someone asks for more than you want to give then just laugh and reply "Do I look like ATM? Does it say Bangkok Bank on my forehead?" If that is said with a laugh or a smile then nobody will be offended. Thais seem to enjoy a laugh and it helps save face for everyone.

The 19 year old daughter of my father's friend came for a visit last winter. She had a great time traveling on her own, but she is a wise young woman. If you are friendly and smile a lot then you will do fine. Just pay attention to what some others here have said. As you are already a young woman you should know about basic safety issues that apply everywhere.

so how long have you known ian forbes?

• 5 months later...

Hi Ashley,

Have you arrived in BKK? How are you enjoying BKK? I'm Audrey. I moved to BKK in September. So, here are my thoughts on this making friend topic. It is not hard to meet new people in BKK. There are events, parties, meetups giong on every day. The challenge is keeping those people you get along with in touch. To be honest, I think they are sorta fake. Anyway, if you'd like, we can hang out some time. I mean it seriously :)