Ipad Mini Or Samsung Tab 2: Which Is Better?

I am researching to buy in Pattaya either the Samsung Tab 2 or the Ipad Mini. I asked in tuk com and a stall holder said the Samsung was preferable as more free Apps and a phone function.

Can anyone here give me some suggestions/recommendations?

Many thanks in advance!

First you need to compare like with like. In iPad mini can have a phone function and you can buy a Tab2 without. I bought a Tab2 (no phone) for my wife, everything works great, email, facebook, camera, games, etc., it cost GBP 149.00 in the Uk whereas I think an iPad mini is a lot more than that, pretty sure the price gap is similar here. I've had an iPhone for 3 years, wont be buying any other iThing.

• Like 1

if you have other Apple products (iPhone, mac), then the iPad; it essentially keeps your mail, schedule, notes, to-do's, bookmarks, etc. synched among the devices, with minimal effort. It's nice having your address book synched.

If you use google apps - mail, to-do's, schedule, chrome (bookmarks) etc., then do the Samsung.

If you have no pref (you're a Microsoft user), then it probably doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Go with Apple. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 a week ago because for me the stylus is something I will get a lot of use and benefit out of but:

1. The Samsung Thailand website has no English language content at all, not even contact details

2. The packaging and warranty registration cards provided with the product are entirely in Thai language

3. There is a phone number for a call centre on the warranty card but the greeting and instructions are entirely in Thai and selecting numbers at random merely gets you to a Thai speaking agent who promptly returns the call to the queue as soon as they hear English language

4. More importantly than anything else I am now on my 5th Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 in a week with all of them exhibiting a manufacturing QC fault of a portion of the screen being non-reactive to the stylus unless it is pressed quite hard against the glass.

On the plus side the hand writing recognition is extremely good, the processor fast, and the tablet a nice size for taking everywhere.

If not for the unresponsive section of screen and soft keys for return and backspace requiring additional screen pressure to activate I would be delighted with the product, but five out of five units all having the same problem and not being able to communicate with the company at all indicates to me that Samsung is being extremely brave pitching the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 at a price point equal to an IPad mini.

If my money isn't as good as a Thai persons money and Samsung can't provide even English language contact details I'll stay with the Japanese and American manufacturers who don't discriminate and provide dual language warranty details and websites.

My fifth Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 will be returned to the store for refund today and I'll wait for someone to bring out a better stylus-equipped 8-inch tablet.

Before anyone asks, yes, it is an original Samsung product, not a Chinese copy.

post-134656-0-72016400-1370565650_thumb.

Edited by Yme
  • Like 1

My wife has a Note 8. loves it and had no problems whatsoever with it. i have a note 10.1 no problems whatsoever.

If there was no english in the box I think you may have a copy.

google translate for thai website or go to global microsite.

I still say it leaves the ipad mini for dead.

• Like 1

@ sammycic

Can you try doing the same test as shown above using the stylus and see if you have the same fault.

Purchased from BigC so not very likely to be a copy. Each one they opened yesterday had the same fault and the same at another store.

Five out of five units have done the same.

Check your product registration card and tell me how much English is on it. Why should I need to use Google translate when only Samsung and LG - the two Korean electronics distributors - can't be arsed to produce dual language websites such as done by Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, etc?

Going to a microsite does not provide contact details for Samsung in Thailand, it provides contact details and details on products which may have been localised for the market the microsite represents.

If not for the dead screen section it would be great. As it is, I'd rather a pen and notebook.

Thanks

I bought a iPad mini at TukCom 3 months ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. It works flawlessly, and even with a nice cover on it, it still fits perfectly into the pocket of my cargo shorts so I can take it anywhere I want. I don't need a phone function for a tablet, I just need a phone. I also bought a Samsung phone two months ago, and sorry that I did not get an iPhone. I always have a problem popping up on my Samsung phone that I have to deal with. You don't need a Android to get Google programs such as Maps. They work great on the iPad. I love the way my iPad syncs with my iPod, and wish my phone did as well. Still looking forward to getting an iPhone. No brainer.

• Like 1

In terms of tablets ipad wins all day all night and all weekend, feels more polished, much better apps and even the same apps run better on iOS, the only reason to by a android tablet is if you can't afford a ipad

another one

In terms of tablets ipad wins all day all night and all weekend, feels more polished, much better apps and even the same apps run better on iOS, the only reason to by a android tablet is if you can't afford a ipad

another one

Elaborate??

another one
Elaborate??
Another Apple fanboy

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

another one
Elaborate??
Another Apple fanboy

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We have both, Ipad Mini and Galaxy Tab. Both have their uses. Ipad is better for the kids to play games. Galaxy tab is better for me being productive. All depends on what you really want to do with it.

not really an apple fanboy, but the fact s ipad is better, i had a android 10.1 before i got a ipad and ended up giving it away, why? because even my 2 yr old son wouldnt play with it, if he cant play on the ipad then he wont even entertain the android, and all he really does is watch mickey mouse on youtube, what does that say to you?

not really an apple fanboy, but the fact s ipad is better, i had a android 10.1 before i got a ipad and ended up giving it away, why? because even my 2 yr old son wouldnt play with it, if he cant play on the ipad then he wont even entertain the android, and all he really does is watch mickey mouse on youtube, what does that say to you?

That ipads are for 2 yr olds and the like?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

That ipads are for 2 yr olds and the like?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

its my Ipad but rightly or wrongly on my part i do let him go on when im not using it, i really did try to palm the 10.1 on him as i didnt want my newish i3 getting smashed but he wouldnt entertain it infact one day he stood on it so he could get on the bed to get the ipad.

slightly off topic but ipads are a great learni ng tool for kids

@ sammycic

Further testing has shown that the problem with the unresponsive screen sections is a Samsung Note 8.0 design fault.

Insufficient shielding means the screen is interfered with by any case with a magnet, or any magnet in relatively close proximity to the Note 8.0 - which explains why new, out-of-the-box units tested at the store failed as they were in close proximity to the case. As almost all cases utilise magnets to keep the flap of the case closed this is poor Samsung engineering and testing.

The "dead spot" also remains for a period of time after the unit is removed from the case.

This magnetic interference does not occur with the IPad Mini.

The unanswered question due to a total lack of response from Samsung is what the long term effect of insufficient magnetic shielding will be, or whether older airport x-ray machines will have any effect on the device or the data stored on it.

Edited by Yme

Would never consider an Apple product. Inferior technology marketed as a fashion accessory.

And iTunes? Are you serious?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought an Ipad one second hand, I am pleased with it as I only wanted to download films and music on it as well as go online. It's just as well I don't want to buy any apps or things as they keep saying I have the wrong password when I know I do not, I have a Thai friend who is also a computer expert, and he had the same problem.

Yes, I would say Apple is to be avoided.

I don't have any tabs, but I have a Samsung phone and my GF got an iPhone. Tabs are just oversized phones. GF doesn't know much about phones do anything she wants to do with it, she asks me and I swear at the damn thing every time I touch it, everything is so much easier and faster done on Android, which can also be customized the way YOU want.

I phones and other ithings are just for users, that's it, who only use it the way APPLE let them, yeah, good for 2 year olds.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Apple you buy to boost your imago not for it's usefulness because it has only limitations. With Android YOU decide what to use it for and what apps to download, without having to marry them. Beside this, iPhone and iPad are designed to be spytools.

I just bought an Asus Fonepad and very, very satisfied with it. thumbsup.gif

asus-fonetab3.png

• Like 1

I had the Tab 2 and the iPad mini and the mini wins hands down for me.

If fact I started out with an iPad 3 which I quite liked but the kids liked it better and monopolised it, so I bought the tab 2 and became quickly irritated by the android and found I wasn't using it much and reverted to using my laptop while at home and iPhone on the move.

I bought an iPad mini that I was going to give to my wife, as I'd decided after the tab 2 and iPad that I wasn't that into tab computers an didn't want one but after a play about and forced use for a week when my laptop was being repaired I am totally converted to the ipad mini. It's really nice to use, a good weight and size in your hands, large enough for proper browsing and other PC type tasks and battery goes all day.

I suppose it comes down to the operating system - for me iOS is still much nicer than the alternative - smooth, intuitive and stable.

Go with Apple. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 a week ago because for me the stylus is something I will get a lot of use and benefit out of but:

1. The Samsung Thailand website has no English language content at all, not even contact details

2. The packaging and warranty registration cards provided with the product are entirely in Thai language

3. There is a phone number for a call centre on the warranty card but the greeting and instructions are entirely in Thai and selecting numbers at random merely gets you to a Thai speaking agent who promptly returns the call to the queue as soon as they hear English language

4. More importantly than anything else I am now on my 5th Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 in a week with all of them exhibiting a manufacturing QC fault of a portion of the screen being non-reactive to the stylus unless it is pressed quite hard against the glass.

On the plus side the hand writing recognition is extremely good, the processor fast, and the tablet a nice size for taking everywhere.

If not for the unresponsive section of screen and soft keys for return and backspace requiring additional screen pressure to activate I would be delighted with the product, but five out of five units all having the same problem and not being able to communicate with the company at all indicates to me that Samsung is being extremely brave pitching the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 at a price point equal to an IPad mini.

If my money isn't as good as a Thai persons money and Samsung can't provide even English language contact details I'll stay with the Japanese and American manufacturers who don't discriminate and provide dual language warranty details and websites.

My fifth Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 will be returned to the store for refund today and I'll wait for someone to bring out a better stylus-equipped 8-inch tablet.

Before anyone asks, yes, it is an original Samsung product, not a Chinese copy.

attachicon.gifSamsung Note 8.jpg

Hi, thanks very much for your helpful post, especially the advice about checking for unresponsive areas on the screen. I ended up choosing the note 10.1 because it seemed to offer what I was looking and I was glad that I was able to check the screen before leaving the store.

Cheers.