French President Hollande Confuses Japan For China

webfact

French president Hollande confuses Japan for China

TOKYO: -- Friday, French President Francois Hollande, who was on a visit in Tokyo, confused his Japanese hosts with the Chinese and called Japan 'China'.

During Friday press conference in Tokyo Hollande, speaking in French, mentioned the January Algerian hostage crisis in which 10 Japanese nationals died and wished to express his deepest condolences.

However, the moment was ruined when Hollanfe had "expressed the condolences of the French people to the Chinese people".

Interestingly, the president made no attempt to correct his mistake.

A female interpreter rendered the sentence as it had been intended, but at least one Japanese journalist with knowledge of French picked up on the error, AFP reported.

Source: http://english.ruvr.ru/news/2013_06_07/French-president-Hollande-confuses-Japan-for-China-5090/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-2013-06-07

It happens when jetlagged. Had it been PM Yingluck, the abusers would be out in full force.

Oh at least one was, but his post has been deleted. (Also another one written in the French language).

• Like 1

Yeah, jetlag or the job's getting too much for him. Everyone makes a dumb statement on occasion. If we make a lot of small slipups it shows we're not up to the job.

If I were the doctor I'd ask him the difference between Hollandaise and Holland.

Chances are 99.9% he'd know. Probably 100%.

Now if he said he didn't like either, I'd get worried.

Hollande...

*facepalm*

Francois Hollande being the prez of France, I'd been thinking Holland the country, but thx anyway.

And had I been the doctor, I'd have been French and speaking in French - "Hollande".

As with so many of us, my high school French is awfully rusty.

So let's keep this simple.

The country.

Hollande...

*facepalm*

Francois Hollande being the prez of France, I'd been thinking Holland the country, but thx anyway.

And had I been the doctor, I'd have been French and speaking in French - "Hollande".

The country.

Holland is not a country. The Netherlands is.

• Like 1

Hollande...

*facepalm*

The country.

True, it is a province of The Netherlands . . . nasty place - four years working there. Ugh!

Anyway, people in glass houses tongue.png :

However, the moment was ruined when Hollanfe had "expressed the condolences of the French people to the Chinese people".

the point is, Hollande is a total muppet.

They are all muppets
I kinda like Holland. Are the Chinese somehow better? Haha, what is their contribution? Over population, communism, cheap products that break and IP theft. They also treat their population great! Has China provided the world anything better than Heniken beer?

Japan has reason to be annoyed, but China should be flattered.

Seriously, who f cares.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

I kinda like Holland. Are the Chinese somehow better? Haha, what is their contribution? Over population, communism, cheap products that break and IP theft. They also treat their population great! Has China provided the world anything better than Heniken beer?

Seriously, who f cares.

??? rolleyes.gif

He is a working man. He is reading a script, written by a speech writer. How the hell is he expected to know where he is?

Or what he's talking about.

If they're serving rice wine instead of Chateau Neuf du Pap, what does he care? Its a lot stronger.

They did win the Rugby once didn't they?

Hollande...

*facepalm*

The country.

I know - calm down.

And you know in English we use the two names interchangeably. You would also know in French it's "Hollande,"

In neither language is it "The Kingdom of the Netherlands" with its Caribbean island nations and all else.

I'd suggested we keep this simple, i.e., not get esoteric about it.

So I've said my final piece on this.

In fact, we need to quit this altogether.

Hollande...

*facepalm*

The country.

that would be Pays-Bas then

Seriously, who f cares.

??? rolleyes.gif

Oh my! Haha, this is what happens when wife leaves country and I post between bars. Could have sworn it had something to do with Holland and people from Holland being Muppets or something or another . . . At least the French gave us Steak Au Poivre. Henis go great with that!

• Like 1

Seriously, who f cares.

??? rolleyes.gif

Oh my! Haha, this is what happens when wife leaves country and I post between bars. Could have sworn it had something to do with Holland and people from Holland being Muppets or something or another . . . At least the French gave us Steak Au Poivre. Henis go great with that!

Our distinguished fellow poster, a member of the bar. coffee1.gif

Bars. biggrin.png

ha ha the extinguished gentleman! biggrin.png Well, our TVF guy.

Those few at TVF I've me personally don't call me Pub for nothin' - that was our rendezvous meeting point, a pub, every time wink.png

Although you and I haven't met personally, you picked up on it right off - the Pub part.

Pub: the heck with being distinguished! Haha, sing always calls me out when I post something nonsensical while under the influence. Another day in paradise, gotta be 5 somewhere!

I plan my day around searching for your posts thumbsup.gif