Phuket prawn fishing

huuwi

Hi,

I can remember that we had at least 3 locations on Phuket where you can go freshwater prawn fishing.

One where near Ptt on chao fa east, one where on the way to Karon and one in Karon itself.

But now all of them gone.

Any other place on Phuket where they still do it.

Thanks

I think there is a very small farm - Patong Nanai Soi 2, the sign for a Pranwn farm is still there at least

is this somewhere near the tempel on the way out of patong?

No, that place near the temple closed a few years ago. Nanai 2 is half way along Nanai Rd. Not sure it's still in operation. Not really a prawn farm, just a restaurant with prawn fishing.

I've given up eating farm/pond raised prawns here in Thailand. They taste like crap and reputably are full of hormones and other additives.

I buy only sea prawns from the gypsy village. Cost a lot more, but taste much more like the real things from Exmouth Gulf back home.

rolleyes.gif

I think there is a very small farm - Patong Nanai Soi 2, the sign for a Pranwn farm is still there at least

No, that place near the temple closed a few years ago. Nanai 2 is half way along Nanai Rd. Not sure it's still in operation. Not really a prawn farm, just a restaurant with prawn fishing.

thats what i'm looking for, good fun and you can kill a afternoon with your buddys.

I've given up eating farm/pond raised prawns here in Thailand. They taste like crap and reputably are full of hormones and other additives.

I buy only sea prawns from the gypsy village. Cost a lot more, but taste much more like the real things from Exmouth Gulf back home.

rolleyes.gif

dont wana buy them, i wana fish them with a little rod

rolleyes.gif

I've never heard of rod fishing for prawns! How does it work?

I've sat in the ocean, with a beer, on a hot day and let them nibble the dead skin from my feet.

rolleyes.gif

I've never heard of rod fishing for prawns! How does it work?

I've sat in the ocean, with a beer, on a hot day and let them nibble the dead skin from my feet.

you get a very flexible rod, up to 3m in length, tiny little float and a leaded hook. bait is a bit of chicken heart. when we fished at the one near ptt you can see them (prawns) flying true the air when the thai girls had a go for it.

rolleyes.gif

You mean that you don't know that the prawns at the Sea Gypsy market in Rawai were bought from a farm?

Didn't the fact that they are all the same size give the game away?

Actually, I regularly buy crabs from a stall there and she told me that the prawns are bought from a farm.

rolleyes.gif

You mean that you don't know that the prawns at the Sea Gypsy market in Rawai were bought from a farm?

Actually, I regularly buy crabs from a stall there and she told me that the prawns are bought from a farm.

They're not the same size and certainly arn't farmed.

I've caught tons of prawns (and crabs) in my lifetime and have also bought many kilos direct from the boats at Learmouth in NW Australia. I know the difference. thumbsup.gif

thats what i'm looking for, good fun and you can kill a afternoon with your buddys.

This place is also closed.

I went there about 8 years ago when I lived in Patong. It was something to do on a rainy afternoon. But I'm guessing it's closed now.

rolleyes.gif

I've caught tons of prawns (and crabs) in my lifetime and have also bought many kilos direct from the boats at Learmouth in NW Australia. I know the difference. thumbsup.gif

This is not Australia mate. Most all the shrimp are farmed in Thailand. There are a lot of shrimp farms on some of the backroads just off the beach in Rawai...

Edited by Jimi007

rolleyes.gif

This is not Australia mate. Most all the shrimp are farmed in Thailand. There are a lot of shrimp farms on some of the backroads just off the beach in Rawai...

America isnt the center of the universe. Everywhere else in the world the other 6.5 billion people refer to them as prawns

• Like 2

I think I forgot to mention that I was looking for "fresh water prawn fishing", so nothing to do with the farming around here.

Btw, not sure about the big prawns, but for the shrimps you can tell if they are farmed or not by color.

America isnt the center of the universe. Everywhere else in the world the other 6.5 billion people refer to them as prawns

There is no translation for prawn in the Thai language... There is for shrimp.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1