Tung Oil

Pretty sure I have seen at Home Mart, Maeman.... just near the paint section , first or second aisle on the left...

Perhaps worth checking at Home Pro too... if that's closer.

I happened by Home Mart Maenam today and took a boo, to see if they had.... but did not see it..... although sure I have seen it in the past....

Well there's a coincidence.

Here I am looking out for tung oil and checking it on eBay n stuff and there's a post about it here.

Keep the answers coming fellas!

JIM - get on your pedalo and scoot around hunting!

R

Here I am looking out for tung oil and checking it on eBay n stuff and there's a post about it here.

R

Nah, it's raining ... how about you get on your Scooter Robby! Put on your Macintosh and Bowler hat! tongue.png (I just happened to have to go to Home mart yesterday! )

In Nathon there are several shops (large supply places that don't look obvious) One near the 7-11 as you come out of road from the ferry that comes along the seafront, turn right and about fifty meters on left (Chaklam or something like that) ... There are a couple of larger shops headed out of Nathon toward Lipa Noi, on right side of road, that have tons of "odd ball" stuff ... these places are larger than they appear from the road.... sorry don't know the names! wink.png

R

Nah, it's raining ... how about you get on your Scooter Robby! Put on your Macintosh and Bowler hat! tongue.png (I just happened to have to go to Home mart yesterday! )

In Nathon there are several shops (large supply places that don't look obvious) One near the 7-11 as you come out of road from the ferry that comes along the seafront, turn right and about fifty meters on left (Chaklam or something like that) ... There are a couple of larger shops headed out of Nathon toward Lipa Noi, on right side of road, that have tons of "odd ball" stuff ... these places are larger than they appear from the road.... sorry don't know the names! wink.png

Only kidding Jim ;-)

Thanks for the info - I'll go take a look. I think the name's Chaokoh (cafe one end, computer shop at the other?)

Cheers

R

R

Only kidding Jim ;-)

Thanks for the info - I'll go take a look. I think the name's Chaokoh (cafe one end, computer shop at the other?)

Cheers

R

Me kidding too ! tongue.png

I don't know about the cafe and computer shop...?

The place I am thinking of is just past the 7-11 as you go into Nathon, where you could turn right to the seafront... After 7 11 there is a Nursery for plants, the shop is across from there! The is a China glass, nik nak shop, but to the left is a huge hardware store with mix of just about everything, easily missed because of trees! wink.png Same store owners I think?

Edited by samuijimmy

R

Only kidding Jim ;-)

Cheers

R

Me kidding too ! tongue.png

I don't know about the cafe and computer shop...?

The place I am thinking of is just past the 7-11 as you go into Nathon, where you could turn right to the seafront... After 7 11 there is a Nursery for plants, the shop is across from there! The is a China glass, nik nak shop, but to the left is a huge hardware store with mix of just about everything, easily missed because of trees! wink.png Same store owners I think?

You must be psychic!

Opposite the old ferry pier in Nathon is a building (on 3 or even 4 floors) which runs all the way through to the Middle Road - name "Chaokoh". The ferry end is a cafe and the Middle Road end is a computer shop. Mamma runs the cafe, the son runs the computer shop. This was the one I thought you were on about. (Tho I couldn't figure out where the tung oil came in . . .)

BUT - I know which shop it is that you mean - and interestingly it is owned by the same family as Chaokoh. (The father used to potter about in there until he died back in 2001.)

I'll have a poke about in there n see what's what.

Ta Jim!

R

Edited by robsamui

Just had another thought about who may have, Maenam Trading, ..... perhaps... ?..... Worth a stop by to ask, although it's a I never find they are very helpful so don't go there much, sad.png

I think the Chaokoh family probably owns half of Nathon... wink.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to be necromasing this thread.

I went to Chaokah and he had a 3.5L for 1050 bt.

HomeMart was at 880.

Anyways, I found what I wanted for my bedroom flooring and wooden doors:

Name: Bosny

Product: Wax

For floors, tiles and funiture.

Paid 220bt for 800g.

They have the big gallon size as well.

This is the stuff the owners of those shops who sell the wooden trinkets and big wooden statues of buddha and elephants.

So for Samui, the location was between Bang Thai, Bang Por on the ring road. If going towards Bang Thai from Maenam, it's on your left side.

Don't know the name of the store but here is a pic:

post-187974-0-78433500-1387435298_thumb.

There is a newish woodworkers supply shop in Lamai across from the gas station (and a second location on the ring road past Hua Thanon heading towards Nathon). Farang partner gave me solid advice, products were good. Good place to check for such things.

HomeMart was at 880.

Paid 220bt for 800g.

This is the stuff the owners of those shops who sell the wooden trinkets and big wooden statues of buddha and elephants.

So for Samui, the location was between Bang Thai, Bang Por on the ring road. If going towards Bang Thai from Maenam, it's on your left side.

attachicon.gif20131216_133918.jpg

Hmmm.

But it isn't Tung oil . . .

(Unless you have discovered some kind of wax instead of the oil . . .)

R

As we'll as China Wood Oil, I've seen it sold as Danish Oil. At a pinch you can use the benchtop finish they sell at Ikea. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looks like a pretty good substitute - thanks for the information. It's not pure Tung and it could well be linseed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_oil

Whoever wrote the Wiki article seems confused about what a 'varnish' actually is. Tung/linseed/soya oils are all 'varnishes' by definition - as once dry they become insoluble.

(All a 'polymerised' oil is is one that has been heated to prevent crystals forming when it dries - which is good, as you need to heat tung/linseed/soya before you use them on wood.)

Just as a note - I did a chunk of wood using simple soya oil diluted with white spirit 50-50 to make it thinner. Perfect. It needs to dry, then be sanded with fine grit and coated several times and finally waxed - this is not good for floors - too big. But for small items it seems to be pretty good!

ps - where is "Ikea?" I might want to take a trip there - are they easy with tourist visas?

R

Edited by robsamui

HomeMart was at 880.

Paid 220bt for 800g.

That's a good shop for service...and hardware stuff etc... .no double pricing either thumbsup.gif always helpful and will exchange stuff without a hassle, if you happen to get the wrong part! blink.png

To be more exact on location, Just past Santi Buri resort and near Maenam resort road, on other side of the road.... wink.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

HomeMart was at 880.

Paid 220bt for 800g.

Hmmm.

But it isn't Tung oil . . .

(Unless you have discovered some kind of wax instead of the oil . . .)

R

You're correct. It's not Tung Oil, it's something better than Tung Oil.

Correct, it is a Wax that does not leave a strong smell.

As I said, these shop owners of these wooden sculptors use this for giving that dried up thirsty looking wood a nice shine.

Does the same as Tung Oil.

If you read the history of Tung Oil, in the old old days, they were using Bee's wax, so there ya go......Wax.

As we'll as China Wood Oil, I've seen it sold as Danish Oil. At a pinch you can use the benchtop finish they sell at Ikea. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just as a note - I did a chunk of wood using simple soya oil diluted with white spirit 50-50 to make it thinner. Perfect. It needs to dry, then be sanded with fine grit and coated several times and finally waxed - this is not good for floors - too big. But for small items it seems to be pretty good!

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. I don't understand why it is necessary to use this Soya method then you sand right after it?

Would that not take away the oiled surface?

I don't see the point, but trying real hard to imagine this in the brain.

The purpose of the Oil or wax is to give a nice shine to the wood.

Usually you apply the substance with an old T-shirt, leave a few hours or even a day, then go back over it with a dry T-shirt again.

Something like shining your leather shoes.

This method of applying then sanding I've read a few times on the net but just don't understand that.

It's like those beautiful Tibetan works of art they do with sand, then soon, wipe it all out.

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. I don't understand why it is necessary to use this Soya method then you sand right after it?

Usually you apply the substance with an old T-shirt, leave a few hours or even a day, then go back over it with a dry T-shirt again.

This method of applying then sanding I've read a few times on the net but just don't understand that.

It's like those beautiful Tibetan works of art they do with sand, then soon, wipe it all out.

Not just soya! Tung, linseed and soya are the three natural oils that are varnishes. The oil penetrates into the wood, it doesn't just sit on the surface, and it causes the grain to swell and rise, causing some roughness.

When it has dried and become a varnish, it is sanded with a fine 600 grit - exactly the same as any other varnish.

Doing this several times gives a VERY smooth surface - when waxed and polished it is almost like glass.

Oil and wax are used for different purposes. The purpose of oil/varnish is to seal the wood - the wax shine is an extra that goes on top afterwards! Just try using beeswax on a freshly sanded, unsealed wooded floor and see what happens!

If you go back over the oil again without sanding then the surface never gets really smooth - plus all the airborne stuff like dust, grit and mini-insects get bedded into the surface.

When you spray a car/varnish a floor it is usual practice to give numerous coats and flat it down between each one.

There are many different ways to shine your shoes (and shoes are made from dozens of different materials). These range from a simple wipe-on synthetic fluid in a bottle with a sponge top, right through to leather-makers restorations - just look up " leather restoration" on Ebay or Google. Some of the craftsman processes for ' shining your shoes' involve multi coatings of several natural oils - including fine abrasion at different stages.

Unlike the sand art that disappears because it is not meant to last - the above processes are all intended for just the opposite!

It all depends on whether you want to spend time and effort and get that glow of pride from a job well done, or are happy with a quick splash-over.

Each to their own.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Just to compare - here is a close look at the surface of the same piece of wood.

One pic shows it sanded down smooth and given one coat of oil.

The other pic shows it later, after the result of maybe 6 or 7 coats of diluted oil, allowed to dry for between 24 hours and 48 hours, then flatted with 600 grit between coats, and then finally lightly finished with 1000 grade steel wool in the last coat. Then it was beeswaxed.

Of course - normally you wouldn't see things so closely, and you'd probably think that the first one was fine, unless you used a magnifying glass (like in these pics!).

But you can really feel the difference! The finished one is as smooth as silk, and the natural grain and warm tone of the wood has been brought out.

onecoat2.jpg

finished.jpg

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1