Kuta's a dump, but is that 'news' ?

It's one of the places I advise against anyone travelling to. There are a few Thai destinations going the same way. Setting aside the infrastructure problems, I don't go on holiday to be harassed, you can't go 10 yards in Kuta without being irritated by someone getting in your face.

• Like 1

Sad.

as a reference to Thailand, I first visited Koh Samui about 20 years ago, it was sooooo nice.

Last trip back there was about 5 years ago, it had really gone downhill, .....dread to think how it is now.

Totally off topic and nothing to do with SE Asia.....the best beaches I have been to are on the Caribbean coast of Colombia......

post-8817-0-84392000-1371344197_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I went to Bali with my Thai wife 6 years ago or so. I loved Ubud and some of the other places we visited. Kuta sucked. The guys harassed her to no end. It was no fun. The roads are pretty bad and we got harassed by the police several times. But a beautiful island.

On Lombok we had to deal with the mafia to get to the Gili islands. They were ruthless and left a very bad memory for us. Will never go there again.

Agree with you on the beaches. Pretty much any caribbean island has beaches that are at least as good as the ones here, with many being way better. Never been to Colombia, but it's a place I'd love to visit.

Kuta is an has been a sufers paradise an cant see that ever changing, Much better places for a beach vaction to visit unless u surf

Now Ubud an the north and rest of the island is wonderful EXCEPT for the traffic,

New ariport going in up north an also new dual carriage way from Denpasar up north.

Kuta is an has been a sufers paradise an cant see that ever changing, Much better places for a beach vaction to visit unless u surf

Now Ubud an the north and rest of the island is wonderful EXCEPT for the traffic,

New ariport going in up north an also new dual carriage way from Denpasar up north.

We went over to Tanah Lot temple one day. Took us over 1 hour to get back to our hotel in Legian. Unreal.

Ubud's beautiful, but getting around without wheels is tough. We stayed out of town a bit and eventually just rented a car for a few days. Worked out OK.

I've got a story about the airport that no one would believe so I won't bother. What I will say though is that it was one of the first time's I saw true Asian bigotry against other Asian nationals. Disgraceful.

When we checked into the hotel in Kuta we ( myself and my ex ) stayed there for the rest of the day and got talking to the guy that served at the pool bar. He told us to get out of Kuta as it was full of Javanese who were only there to fleece the tourists. He said get over to the Balinese areas of the Islands and we would enjoy ourselves a lot more.

He was right about the harassment level, and he was right about the change we experienced when we went to Lovina. I can't say that we still weren't approached by vendors and the like, but nothing like on the same scale, but even better, there was a bit of grace, even humour when dealing with the Balinese vendors. There's no doubt that the need for money is always bubbling under but that's to be expected. Lovina gave me some faith that it was possible to have an enjoyable holiday in Bali, Kuta did not.

It's one of the places I advise against anyone travelling to. There are a few Thai destinations going the same way. Setting aside the infrastructure problems, I don't go on holiday to be harassed, you can't go 10 yards in Kuta without being irritated by someone getting in your face.

Agree 100% - the Kuta strip remains the only place in the world where I've been physically accosted by a hawker. They are desperate to make a sale, and it's part of the disease which is steadily eroding the very thing that attracts tourists to Bali in the first place. Probably OK for anyone who doesnt have to get to and from the airport and can stay in one of the remaining patches of paradise on the island, but how many expats would be in that position.

BTW, Indonesia's visa system makes the Thai system look like World's Best Practice, particularly for newcomers - I would just fly to Sillypore and pay for one of the Indo migration agents to take care of the paperwork. Let them pay whatever 'tea money' is involved and just keep smiling until it gets done.

• Like 1

It is sad how the vendors are ruining Bali. I stay more north from Kuta - in Legian or Seminyak and it is better; however, taxis still honk when they pass you to check if you need transportation - and if you get in the touristy areas - transport transport can be heard every step you take. I started wearing my earphones just so I could ignore them. As a single man, if I did respond "no, thanks" they always come back with "girl, need a girl?" and then "drugs, want drugs?" - I really want to explain to them that this just makes people not want to visit the place again.

• Like 1

It is sad how the vendors are ruining Bali. I stay more north from Kuta - in Legian or Seminyak and it is better; however, taxis still honk when they pass you to check if you need transportation - and if you get in the touristy areas - transport transport can be heard every step you take. I started wearing my earphones just so I could ignore them. As a single man, if I did respond "no, thanks" they always come back with "girl, need a girl?" and then "drugs, want drugs?" - I really want to explain to them that this just makes people not want to visit the place again.

I was living in Bali just before the Bali bombings of the Sari Club and Paddy's bar,in fact Paddy's was my local at the weekend and I would probably have been in there that fateful night had I not left Bali just before!

Kuta was a dump then with a filthy beach and locals hassling you for transport,girls etc. then but let's be honest,you get hassled for exactly the same on Sukhumvit from Sois 3-11 and beyond!

Seminyak and Sanur are much better,I used to rent a house in Kerobokan and used to drive to the end of my road and go blasting across the paddy fields on my motorbike,it was fantastic!

I used to go down to Rum Jungle on Rum Jungle Road for breakfast,it's not there anymore and on the weekend head down to Nusa Dua to the beautiful beach down there.There was a lot of locals trying to sell you stuff as all,the five star hotels are down there but the water was beautiful with a great view,I'm pretty sure it was Lombok and Gunung Rinjani?

So basically Kuta is a dump,but get but of there and there's still lots of beautiful places on the island,Jimbaran Bay also as I remember.Phuket and Phi Phi are no less overdeveloped than Bali and many other places in Thailand!

I think I must be one of the very few aussies to have never been to Bali (Kuta) and have no intention of going there.

Blether, come on, please tell us the taxi story that we won't believe. It has me intrigued.

I think I must be one of the very few aussies to have never been to Bali (Kuta) and have no intention of going there.

Blether, come on, please tell us the taxi story that we won't believe. It has me intrigued.

You're calling Kuta,Bali and it's the equivalent of calling Pattaya,Thailand,<deleted>!rolleyes.gif