New government spokesman speaks of challenges ahead

Lite Beer

New government spokesman speaks of challenges ahead

30208406-01_big.jpg
Teerat

BANGKOK: -- In less than two years, the Yingluck Shinawatra government has replaced its spokesperson several times in a bid to shore up its image and better communicate with the public. The Nation's Pravit Rojanaphruk spoke to the recently appointed fourth government spokesman, Teerat Ratanasevi. Here are some excerpts:

Why does the government change its spokesperson so often?

I can't say, because I don't really know.

What are the challenges facing the spokesperson for Yingluck's government?

It's the information that must be presented to the public. We don't have data in our hands [at the Office of the Government Spokesperson]. Sometimes [bureaucrats at various ministries] see us as political appointees and request information that can be difficult to find unless you know the minister.

Each ministry's spokesperson may also not have the data ready and may themselves be political appointees. Thus, the true facts are not always conveyed to the public. We're now in the process of setting up a system [to address the matter]. Some issues involve data that is spread between different agencies. For instance, bird-flu involves the Foreign and Agriculture ministries, the Immigration Office and other agencies.

The challenge now is how the Office of the Government Spokesperson can have information that matches the data held by other agencies.

What's your strategy for winning the trust of people who are not supporters of this administration and who are distrustful?

I will focus on presenting facts because the nuances hidden in language can lead to more political hatred. Retaliating to verbal abuse will only worsen the situation. We must accept criticism.

Given the deep political polarisation, is it necessary to speak to those who oppose the government or is it adequate to only communicate with supporters?

The government is not working for any particular political group. I am working for everybody in the country, so we must communicate with everyone. Whether they will believe us or not is another matter. The more we divide people, the less beneficial it will become. I have close friends who hold different political views, but we accept one another. We do not interfere with each other's beliefs because political preference is a personal right.

Yingluck is regarded by many of her opponents as merely a puppet of her older brother, former PM Thaksin Shinawatra. What are your views on this matter?

From the outside, the premier might look as if she's making compromises, but in reality she's very decisive and straightforward. She provides guidance and is professional in the decision-making process. This you won't see through the media. She's no puppet [of Thaksin] when it comes to administering the government. And she does a lot of homework.

How long do you expect to be in this position? Will you last longer than your predecessors?

I don't know how long I will last. I do not hope to become a minister or enter politics. I studied public relations in college and was a journalist, so I know that [tv] reporters do not want a 30-minute press conference in order to produce a 30-second report.

What's the government's weakness in terms of communication?

Many concur that we only see people criticising the government's policies, but there has been little communication on how these policies will improve people's lives. The media tends to be negative. We need pre-PR, present-PR and post-PR so there is no confusion or doubt among the public. The issue of the rice-pledging scheme is a good lesson.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-16

It appears that the job of spokesman doesn't have a very long shelf life. I guess stick strictly to the script is the safest way to go. The government only wants your lips and not your brain and someone to take the fall when it goes belly up.

• Like 1

What happened to the Vejajiva from the dark side?

Excellent point, just a few weeks ago Suranand was being touted as Phua Thai's silver bullet but recently he's been the invisible man.

Distancing himself from bad news?

No suprise that he doesn't get the information from " colleagues " to be a spokesman with anything valid to say. Take up the challenge yourself Yingluck, try to speak openly and don't place some one in place who you can hide behind. There's nowhere to run, try some transparency for a change, take the pressure of the job and look after both the people of your country, the expatriates and the tourists.

I will focus on presenting facts

This guy is obviously new to Thai politics.

We need pre-PR, present-PR and post-PR so there is no confusion or doubt among the public - I think it was PresTrueman - " First tell them what you're going to say - Then Tell them - Then tell them what you told them".......as any good salesman will tell you...speaking is not communication until the other party fully understands what you have said. And the in the words of the rock man (The Point) "people see what they want to see; and hear what they want to hear" Chok Dee

I don't care too much about this OP but I'm getting aroused by the anime under the OP.

tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

I don't care too much about this OP but I'm getting aroused by the anime under the OP.

What have YOU been browsing? I can't see what you're referring to.

No real point to being in this position if you don't know any answers. But then again that has always been the case in Thailand, the Government act first then think about what they have done and any possible adverse outcome ! Basically a system of very high paid uninformed and irrational people.

Incidentally, Mr. Teerat Ratanasevi; did you bother to have your views posted in any Thai papers? I think that that is where your views might do the most good, rather than instead telling your woes to a bunch of foreigners.

If your answer is, "No, I did not post my views in any Thai newspapers.", then what good are you?

What have YOU been browsing? I can't see what you're referring to.

It must randomly change the advertising. It isn't there any longer.

What is this? I am a political appointee so I don't have the data and the ministers won't tell me! And sometimes I have to speak to the ministers spokesperson and he is a political appointee so no one wants to tell him anything either. So I don't have any information with which to tell the peope. But I am going to tell the people the facts!

So I am going to tell the people all the facts I know and that us how we will win the people over.

The first fact I want people to know is that the immigration department are hot on the heels of chasing down that foreign bird flu.

Hip hip Hooray!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...