Cheap (POS) quality equipment in Thailand

connda

I've come to the conclusion that quality products are sent to the US, Canada, and the EU.

All other equipment produced for domestic use or imported for domestic use is junk.

Example, I have bought 4 different tire pressure gauges. Every single one of them has fallen apart. Three of them blew apart as soon as I put them under pressure. So question 1: where can I find a quality tire pressure gauge short of flying back to a Western country.

Tire pumps: same issue. Garbage. My 500 baht bike pump just fell apart, and when it did work it was a total pain to use. The valve would never seal correctly and quickly. So question 2: where can I find a quality tire pump for my 21 speed short of flying back to a Western country.

I also need a set of tire irons and patch kits that are -- Western quality.

What could one say really, I think anybody living here on a permanent basis owns a pile or mountain of stuff that broke afer once use or never worked at all. I was extra silly and went through 5 blenders, pumps and a huge amount of everything and anything related to any hobby, household use and even professional use. I started ordering online from abroad and I believe even with the seemingly expensive purchase, I've finally began to save money because I get to enjoy whatever it is for more than 5 minutes. Sometimes you get screwed with customs and sometimes you profit, but end of the day you get the quality you are used to and expect from home and it'll last. Buying second hand domestic is also not a terrible idea in my opinion .. pretested and approved with prices slashed... lovely.

I'm no cyclist but there must be a Thai website/forum dedicated to this hobby and you might find something there... probably even new stuff sold by cycling enthusiasts... so I got mildly interested and did a little search for ya and found endless online pretty colorful and professional looking sellers of bike stuff parts and stuff, along with a couple of active discussion forums.

http://www.thaimtb.com/ - this is a forum with active discussion. I would start there and have someone help you ask about all that stuff you want and they will surely point you to somebody selling just that at the best price.. This also has a 2nd hand section.

Otherwise go directly to the sellers.. lots of sellers... but then again we don't know how good the quality is. I really have no idea myself... but here's an example.. an expensive pump... probably disposable lol

http://www.bike-thai.com/PD591741-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%9A_supershort.html

Hope to have been helpful... good luck smile.png

Edited by justben
  • Like 1

You need to learn to evaluate quality of tools and also decide in which cases you need high quality tools and in which ones you don't. I always prefer higher quality tools for obvious reasons, but some stuff is so simple and i use it so few times that low quality is okay for me (i.e. that tool to spread the disc brake pads apart). Also i always spray new tools with silicon oil, prevents rust in high humidity, of course i don't do that with drills smile.png

As for bike tools i would buy "Parktool" brand if you want upper scale quality. The lower quality equivalent would be "IceTools". You can find IceTools just about everywhere, ParkTools are stocked at a few better shops or you can ask the local distributor http://totalaccessbike.com/

Also Chain Reaction Cycles from the UK has ParkTools and they ship for as little as 15$ to Thailand, obviously customs are gamble as always (i'm usually lucky).

Selection of Stationary Pumps from ParkTool

http://www.parktool.com/category/pumps

Edited by JanDetlefsen

The problem is the majority here prefer cheap over quality so thats what the suppliers offer.

Quality is available...but due too the thai concept of supply and demand (low demand. Raise prices) the quality is over priced and seems crazy compared to what its worth back home.

So rather than buying something at ridiculous prices lots buy cheap with replacements and replacements. Some buy expensive. Some buy overseas.

I think the only problem is the expectation of quality despite the cheap price.

Using the OP's example of bike pumps, the pump I bought in the US has an MSRP of $100. http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/floor-pumps/high-pressure#!cnc-floor-drive

Made in Taiwan. It works great. I've seen the identical pump in bike shops in Chiang Mai marked 3,000 baht. Most shops here will offer a discount just for asking so my pump is theoretically cheaper to buy here.

Same with the suggestion to buy Park Tools. They're available here in Thailand too. But you pay full retail.

Buy cheap, get cheap, but quality products are available.

• Like 1

I think the only problem is the expectation of quality despite the cheap price.

Using the OP's example of bike pumps, the pump I bought in the US has an MSRP of $100. http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/floor-pumps/high-pressure#!cnc-floor-drive

Made in Taiwan. It works great. I've seen the identical pump in bike shops in Chiang Mai marked 3,000 baht. Most shops here will offer a discount just for asking so my pump is theoretically cheaper to buy here.

Same with the suggestion to buy Park Tools. They're available here in Thailand too. But you pay full retail.

Buy cheap, get cheap, but quality products are available.

Thanks...good suggestion!