Cannot complain on the Japanese bike service prices here too much :)

mania

another reason I service my Ducati, that and I can't stand anyone I don't know screwing with my bike. I'm too much of a perfectionist for the mass market servicing scenario.

Always the most satisfying way to own a bike.

A longtime poster on Ducati.org has a sig line that reads

"DUCATI. Making mechanics out of riders since 1946." smile.png

• Like 1

I can't complain about the Kawasaki dealership in Pattaya. My first service at 950 kilo's (bought it under 800 Kilos on the clock) I paid the full fare after that I hooked up with the same mechanis as before ( I think he is the head mechanic there) Since the 1st visit he has been doing some work & helping me get things that I have to modify myself for way cheap. Used rear hugger for 200 baht. Etc. I am going to inquire if he wants to moonlight on my next servicing. He definitely got decent training & is creative & loves his job. I can really respect a true craftsman But I doubt they are paying him more the 400-500 baht a day. The Thai bosses or Chinese are real tightwads in the labor dept.

• Like 1

I wish I had a Ducati 795. My last service on a Versys in Chiang Mai was 7,270 Bht at 24,000 Km and they didn't even do the valve adjustment I requested to be done. The wait to get the service done was two weeks and the only non standard part of the service was replacement of the front disc pads, which were priced 1000Bht more for Kawa standard pads than EBC Sintered.

Thai made Japanese bikes are not cheap to service here but yes cheaper than the west.

another reason I service my Ducati, that and I can't stand anyone I don't know screwing with my bike. I'm too much of a perfectionist for the mass market servicing scenario.

Always the most satisfying way to own a bike.

A longtime poster on Ducati.org has a sig line that reads

"DUCATI. Making mechanics out of riders since 1946." smile.png

I've seen that many a time and very true. Hate them or Love them :D

• Like 1

i just checked and the price of this service is 1200 usd in USA!!! and yearly service costs for ducati monsters are around 2400 usd a year!!! wow.

so 6870 thb which is 230 USD is nothing!

and those 100 bahts we pay extra does not bother me as well. By the way, Honda Bigwing Bangkok staff does not accept any tip like japanese style - I tried.

I think you may have a mix up there

In the USA the 7500 Mile check up which is roughly 12000km

they charge $294.80 for valve adjustment portion on a 796 since they do not run the 795

The rest such as oil etc you are allowed to do yourself.

Also yearly costs I have never seen quoted as such just mileage not by time.

I have also seen Panigale costs as high as $1000

But in any case my original post was never meant to be a Ducati Thai service cost

bashing more of a Japanese types celebration at how cheap service here is for Kawasaki, Honda etc.

mania, i got this information from a ducati monster owner in usa in another forum so i am just the liar of him.

but i do not see any reason for him to lie still...

mania, i got this information from a ducati monster owner in usa in another forum so i am just the liar of him.

but i do not see any reason for him to lie still...

No nothing like that LL

Did not think anyone was a liar.

But the prices are all posted on Ducati.org

Here is another link although I find the prices higher than ducati.org

although looking at his list he usually has other things in there like a dunlop tire at 6k miles etc.

http://www.healthinfodesign.com/ducati/ducati_maint.htm

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Ducati 795 = top of the line italian sportsbike. :cheesy:

Thanks richard. :D

Could you please explain to the rest of the class why that is so funny? Are you also a motorbike expert?

The 795 is a budget ASEAN made bike solely for the ASEAN market, built for the average asian frame and unavailable outside the ASEAN countries. It is the bottom product of the company with a comparatively (very) low price tag. Edited by Salapoo

Ducati 795 = top of the line italian sportsbike. cheesy.gif

Thanks richard. biggrin.png

Could you please explain to the rest of the class why that is so funny? Are you also a motorbike expert?

the thai made ducati 795 is the most basic one available here and its even lower spec then the one made in italy.

So its certainly not top of the line.

top of the line would be the 848, 1199 or streetfighter which cost way more then the 795

An indication of a top of the line bike might be the price so for your information:

http://www.ducatithailand.com/pricelist.php.

Not top of the line within Ducati, but it is within its class. I've ridden one and it is a sprightly beast. The spec compared to the European one if a smoother power curve, because they know that many of the riders will have little experience with bigger more challenging bikes. They also made the seat and overall profile lower for shorter legs. But it is not an old lady's Sunday transport by a long shot - it is pretty raw, has plenty of torque, requires experience to handle properly, and like many Ducatis, will bite you on the bum if you get too cocky with it.

I also had the Multistrada for a day's test ride - now that is definitely top of the line. At more than 1m baht, it is an amazing bike.

I don't know about the Japanese places, but Ducati pays their staff very well here - including the mechanics, who have undergone a lot of training.

Just curious but what is "very well" here in baht?

Do they go hourly pay, daily or monthly?

If you know for sure as hearsay is funny here wink.png

Well, most of them own Ducatis for starters - albeit the 795 "entry level" Monster. I interviewed three people at the dealership in the sales, marketing and training departments - if you want to call that funny hearsay. I didn't ask the specific monthly wage - it wasn't really what I was interviewing them about - but "same like good office job" was what I was told, casually in conversation b y the trainer. If I was guessing, I'd take that to mean 30k or thereabout.

But the mechanics are not treated as disposable grease monkeys, from what I could tell, talking to the management and touring the place. According to them, Ducati trains them well (Italians come over to teach them the proper procedures - now I bet those classes would be a hoot to sit in on), and the dealerships want them to stay so they develop an experienced staff.

Since the sales have gone from 1 bike in 2003 (yep, that's what they said!), about 100 bikes in 2010, 200 in 2011, 1,000 units in 2012, and are on track to easily break 2,000 this year, they need as many good mechanics as they can hold onto or it would turn into a nightmare.

Apparently, just as a way off off topic side note, more than 50% of the bikes brought in for repairs are there for cosmetic damage - mostly scratches or dents from a minor tip-over (it is easy to stall the Monster at crawling speeds). Unfortunately, if you own a Ducati, you have to keep it looking spanking, or you lose the right to pose - which is why about 70% of the customers are buying them (according to the sales staff - not made up or 'hearsay'). You can tell by looking at the tyres of the ones in for a service. Most of them have wear patterns of a thin strip down the middle, which indicates that the owners haven't got a clue how (or the courage) to corner the things properly. "Chicken strips" about 4 inches wide.

• Like 1

Well, most of them own Ducatis for starters - albeit the 795 "entry level" Monster. I interviewed three people at the dealership in the sales, marketing and training departments - if you want to call that funny hearsay. I didn't ask the specific monthly wage - it wasn't really what I was interviewing them about - but "same like good office job" was what I was told, casually in conversation b y the trainer. If I was guessing, I'd take that to mean 30k or thereabout.

But the mechanics are not treated as disposable grease monkeys, from what I could tell, talking to the management and touring the place. According to them, Ducati trains them well (Italians come over to teach them the proper procedures - now I bet those classes would be a hoot to sit in on), and the dealerships want them to stay so they develop an experienced staff.

Since the sales have gone from 1 bike in 2003 (yep, that's what they said!), about 100 bikes in 2010, 200 in 2011, 1,000 units in 2012, and are on track to easily break 2,000 this year, they need as many good mechanics as they can hold onto or it would turn into a nightmare.

Apparently, just as a way off off topic side note, more than 50% of the bikes brought in for repairs are there for cosmetic damage - mostly scratches or dents from a minor tip-over (it is easy to stall the Monster at crawling speeds). Unfortunately, if you own a Ducati, you have to keep it looking spanking, or you lose the right to pose - which is why about 70% of the customers are buying them (according to the sales staff - not made up or 'hearsay'). You can tell by looking at the tyres of the ones in for a service. Most of them have wear patterns of a thin strip down the middle, which indicates that the owners haven't got a clue how (or the courage) to corner the things properly. "Chicken strips" about 4 inches wide.

With all due respect I am linked thru facebook to a few of the main Ducati dealers here & it is not a show of wealth to have a 795 these days as they are all financed. I see an awful lot sold weekly as Ducati Rama3, Ducati Chiang Mai etc. all post a pic of each buyer & there are many

Ducati Chiang Mai goes for the model type shots, Rama 3 with the large key

I will attach samples below

Then after as few as 2 monthly payments many are begging to be bailed out

http://www.monsterclub-thai.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ebf29bcf624175e9ed123631c63eb4a&board=12.0

A "good office" job in Thailand is lucky if you see 12-15k a month.

The Electric & phone companies are sought after ones & they pay that but have a good health plan.

30k? no way.

Banks? The Thai's joke that they are farm girls in air conditioning as the pay is not great either.

The sales being high is mainly due to the Ducati's being fashionable now here with the Thai's & the 795 small

down payment easy financing is the ticket into the club. But as you say & I agree they are not riding them like sport bikes...The majority anyway.

Instead they wear sneaker, tight jeans & a T shirt & cruise mainly.

The only problem is the easy money is the same the US saw years ago & we know where that went.

I feel kind of sorry for the Thai's I see on these plans because they cannot make it really on what is left of their pay.

Then the reality of upkeep hits. Which is why I smiled when I saw the one comment on this thread say maybe they can finance their maintenance costs.

10578_470592616355148_110451589_n.jpg

1010269_521714534543438_1197392222_n.jpg

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

financing the service cost? i feel pity for them.

i m sure most of them want to get out of ducati just bc their parents want them to.

but nowadays i pay around 18 - 20k as start for my Thai staff in bangkok fresh out of the college - of course they come from good universities they all have some kind of experience abroad. life is expensive in bangkok.

still hoping for ducati releasing street fighter made in thailandlaugh.png

With all due respect I am linked thru facebook to a few of the main Ducati dealers here & it is not a show of wealth to have a 795 these days as they are all financed. I see an awful lot sold weekly as Ducati Rama3, Ducati Chiang Mai etc. all post a pic of each buyer & there are many

Ducati Chiang Mai goes for the model type shots, Rama 3 with the large key

I will attach samples below

Then after as few as 2 monthly payments many are begging to be bailed out

http://www.monsterclub-thai.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ebf29bcf624175e9ed123631c63eb4a&board=12.0

A "good office" job in Thailand is lucky if you see 12-15k a month.

The Electric & phone companies are sought after ones & they pay that but have a good health plan.

30k? no way.

Banks? The Thai's joke that they are farm girls in air conditioning as the pay is not great either.

The sales being high is mainly due to the Ducati's being fashionable now here with the Thai's & the 795 small

down payment easy financing is the ticket into the club. But as you say & I agree they are not riding them like sport bikes...The majority anyway.

Instead they wear sneaker, tight jeans & a T shirt & cruise mainly.

The only problem is the easy money is the same the US saw years ago & we know where that went.

I feel kind of sorry for the Thai's I see on these plans because they cannot make it really on what is left of their pay.

Then the reality of upkeep hits. Which is why I smiled when I saw the one comment on this thread say maybe they can finance their maintenance costs.

10578_470592616355148_110451589_n.jpg

1010269_521714534543438_1197392222_n.jpg

I know a number of admin women at smaller companies making 25+ per month... 12-15k is entry level. My nephew in law is a line manager at Panasonic - a labourer who is responsible for keeping the line going and he's on 16k... salaries have gone up in recent years.

Personally i agree with garry. After 12 months i will do my own servicing. Kawasaki pattaya does have a feeler guage and torque wrench :). When i look at the area between the buildings where they do most of their work i have concerns of their ability.

That said i really like the staff there and regularly chat with them.

Personally i agree with garry. After 12 months i will do my own servicing. Kawasaki pattaya does have a feeler guage and torque wrench smile.png. When i look at the area between the buildings where they do most of their work i have concerns of their ability.

That said i really like the staff there and regularly chat with them.

Same here in CM..Very nice staff & feels more like friends