'White Mask' Guards Seen Trying To Hit Redshirts With Iron Bars

Lite Beer

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have there been any pictures or videos posted yet, to support the story in the OP, about white-mask guards carrying iron-bars to assault passing Reds on motorbikes ?

I didn't see any yet.

If you click on the link at the foot of the OP you should find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

"I am sorry, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...it is a duck. The white mask group is part of the yellow universe.".........

May I add "If it looks like a moron, quacks like a moron, and walks like a moron.....it is a moron"

Anyone who cannot understand the fact that just because someone does not support the PTP or Thaksin it does not make them a yellow supporter, is a duck !

• Like 2

The other newspaper had a newsflash that white masks had invaded the lawn around Government House, but by mid-afternoon they were gone.

(Photo from Newmania facebook)

post-58-0-62943800-1371469253_thumb.jpg

Why don't we make it easy?

Red-shirt violence against people, buildings...basically anything: bad, unconstitutional, unjust...just wrong!

Whatever colored violence of government opponents: a fight for freedom, democracy and justice and totally okay!

Violence is never a means of a political struggle and even questionable as a matter of last resort in any way, shape or form.

...and I already know, who will now be starting to beat away at this statement...

• Like 1

Personally I don't care who are the organisers of the various groups who protest against a Thaksin style dictatorship not a lot different to a military dictatorship.

What no one can say is that all V-mask protestors are (former?) yellow shirts. Attempting to put all these groups in a single category, apart from their fear & dislike of Thaksin, is just smearing them. Just the same as what the PTP do.

The red shirts have an awful record of intimidation, violence & even killing. They are hell bent on trying (& too often succeeding) in disrupting any anti-Thaksin, anti-PTP and Democrat party meetings in any part of 'their' territory. It is not surprising that the V-mask protestors have had to resort to guards to protect themselves as the police - under Chalerm's control - are unwilling to protect them.

As Ozmick has said, I will support any group (KKK, Hizbollah, Red Brigade, Mau Mau) that wants to get rid of Thaksin from Thai politics - although Ozmick may not agree with my selection.wink.png

P-move, for example, has made quite clear that they are not part of the yellow shirts, even though some of their organizers have been once part of the PAD. Even though there were attempts to instrumentalize P-move by the protesters camping out at Sanam Luang, P-move rejected these attempts. Therefore P-move has established itself as a group opposing the government on certain issues, yet clearly outside of the yellow universe.

The white mask group may claim that they are separate (as the multicoloreds have done in 2010), yet they use the same networks, the same guards, the same leaders, the same locations (Sanam Luang, right now in BKK, after their Sunday march through the center), share the same protesters as the yellow shirts do/did. Some participating individuals may claim to be a separate group - maybe some out of naivety, and some others out of attempting to fool the media - but aims and ideology are yellow shirt aims and ideology - which most of the guards and leading figures openly admit to in private chats.

As to the kinds of groups you would be willing to support in the ouster of the government (which, i am sorry, is quite hysterical) - this is the exact reason why the PAD has collapsed, and yellow shirts now are having to invent new artificial incarnations (and strategies), as their support for the military coup in 2006 and their government house and airport occupation has discredited this movement inside Thailand and outside. Their alliances with figures and groups with a known anti-democratic track record is well known (military, old right wingers such as Prasong Soonsiri, etc.)

This can be clearly seen by the massively declining numbers of the yellow shirts from their peak in 2006, down in 2008, and further down in 2010/2011, and even more down in 2012.

Lets wait and see how they are going to fare with the white mask stunt, if they get the numbers, or if it peaks at the 10 000 or so Pitak Siam (another such incarnation) got.

..but whatever, if you believe that the white mask people are still not yellow shirts, then be free to do so, if it makes you happy.

• Like 1

Finger pointing, Guy Fawkes mask, educated in the UK? A bit of obfuscation to muddlethe field.

Maybe more like feeling a relation to other countries springtime? Opposing non-elected elites who also happen to be criminal fugitives? People wondering about a mere 40% loss on a singles year rice pledging without any details, but assurances that some trickled down to poor farmers, are pointedly better educated that those who fell for the scam?

I'm amazed. Another member who seems to suggest the red-shirts are non-educated?

Your avarage Brit has no idea about Guy Fawkes apart from the fact they can get a bit more merry than usual, burn af fire, let off some firewokks ect.

So who the <deleted> came up with idea?? probably somebody who new a lot about British history .

More than your average brit perhaps some with a joly good education!

They're not taken from Guy Fawkes but Anonymous, the internet hacking morons, who took the idea from Alan Moore's V for Vendetta graphic novel/movie. Now seen as a symbol of revolt against tyranny, fascism and thuggish govt tactics.Perfect when dealing with the fascist reds really.

Except that the mask represents Guy Fawkes who planned to commit regicide and the plot was religiously motivated to kill a protestant monarch and put a catholic back on the throne. Fair stupidity for an ultra-Royalist group you have to admit.

If the red shirts are fascist what are the coup supporting, military backed ultra-royalists? Liberals?

Get a grip.

The reds are fascists in behaviour, philosophy and political ideology. I agree the yellow shirts are fascists as well. Just because they hate each other doesn't mean their world view is that different. They represent different sections of society but they are both politically fascist.

• Like 1

Have there been any pictures or videos posted yet, to support the story in the OP, about white-mask guards carrying iron-bars to assault passing Reds on motorbikes ?

I didn't see any yet.

Been wondering about that myself.

Personally I don't care who are the organisers of the various groups who protest against a Thaksin style dictatorship not a lot different to a military dictatorship.

What no one can say is that all V-mask protestors are (former?) yellow shirts. Attempting to put all these groups in a single category, apart from their fear & dislike of Thaksin, is just smearing them. Just the same as what the PTP do.

The red shirts have an awful record of intimidation, violence & even killing. They are hell bent on trying (& too often succeeding) in disrupting any anti-Thaksin, anti-PTP and Democrat party meetings in any part of 'their' territory. It is not surprising that the V-mask protestors have had to resort to guards to protect themselves as the police - under Chalerm's control - are unwilling to protect them.

As Ozmick has said, I will support any group (KKK, Hizbollah, Red Brigade, Mau Mau) that wants to get rid of Thaksin from Thai politics - although Ozmick may not agree with my selection.wink.png

P-move, for example, has made quite clear that they are not part of the yellow shirts, even though some of their organizers have been once part of the PAD. Even though there were attempts to instrumentalize P-move by the protesters camping out at Sanam Luang, P-move rejected these attempts. Therefore P-move has established itself as a group opposing the government on certain issues, yet clearly outside of the yellow universe.

The white mask group may claim that they are separate (as the multicoloreds have done in 2010), yet they use the same networks, the same guards, the same leaders, the same locations (Sanam Luang, right now in BKK, after their Sunday march through the center), share the same protesters as the yellow shirts do/did. Some participating individuals may claim to be a separate group - maybe some out of naivety, and some others out of attempting to fool the media - but aims and ideology are yellow shirt aims and ideology - which most of the guards and leading figures openly admit to in private chats.

As to the kinds of groups you would be willing to support in the ouster of the government (which, i am sorry, is quite hysterical) - this is the exact reason why the PAD has collapsed, and yellow shirts now are having to invent new artificial incarnations (and strategies), as their support for the military coup in 2006 and their government house and airport occupation has discredited this movement inside Thailand and outside. Their alliances with figures and groups with a known anti-democratic track record is well known (military, old right wingers such as Prasong Soonsiri, etc.)

This can be clearly seen by the massively declining numbers of the yellow shirts from their peak in 2006, down in 2008, and further down in 2010/2011, and even more down in 2012.

Lets wait and see how they are going to fare with the white mask stunt, if they get the numbers, or if it peaks at the 10 000 or so Pitak Siam (another such incarnation) got.

..but whatever, if you believe that the white mask people are still not yellow shirts, then be free to do so, if it makes you happy.

You seem to be preoccupied labelling people as from the yellow universe or red universe? Is this profiling common amongst journalists? I would have thought a journalist would have been more objective and less propagandist. I prefer to class groups by what they stand for, how they conduct themselves and what their objective are.

• Like 2

"I am sorry, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...it is a duck. The white mask group is part of the yellow universe.".........

May I add "If it looks like a moron, quacks like a moron, and walks like a moron.....it is a moron"

Anyone who cannot understand the fact that just because someone does not support the PTP or Thaksin it does not make them a yellow supporter, is a duck !

I thought the yellow shirts were a part of the white mask universe it has been around longer than them. Also seems to be growing.

You say that YOU KNOW so much about the White Mask protest groups.

Prove it to us and the world

POST it instead of talking.

The white mask idea is not new.

One and a half years ago i have photographed a group of protesters wearing white masks at a 'Siam Samakhi' event. Siam Samakhi is/was a group founded by former soldiers that have taken part in the 2006 coup, which had as regular speakers, for example, Kaewsan Athibodi, one of the co-founders of 'Thai Spring', or Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmetrakul, or former Democrat Party foreign minister Kasit Piromya.

The PAD of 2006 and 2008 is now split in many factions, so you can theoretically state that the white masks are not PAD. Nevertheless, the persons that play a leading and organizing role in the white masks were all part of the PAD. Their guards are all former and/or present PAD and affiliated groups' guards (many of whom i have known for almost 7 to 8 years by now). The majority of white mask protesters are long term yellow shirt/multicolored/Thai Patriot Networt/and whatever other incarnation protesters, many of whom i have known and photographed countless times over the past 7/8 years in yellow protests. A large segment of the white mask protesters here in Bangkok are protesters that presently camp out at Sanam Luang - led by Chaiwat Sinsuwong and Somboon Thongburan - both former PAD leaders. A large segment of the white mask group protesters went on sunday, after they finished their protest, in a caravan to Sanam Luang.

Their slogans, chants and stage speech (against Thaksinomics, protect the monarchy, accuse police of being Thaksin's lackeys, etc) are right out of the yellow shirt script book. Nothing has changed, other than that they now don white masks instead of yellow T-Shirts, which already by 2010 they have not done anymore, and then called themselves "multicolored" - a term that apparently has been shelved now as well.

I am sorry, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...it is a duck. The white mask group is part of the yellow universe.

More holes than Swiss cheese. :rolleyes:

It's a shame you didn't bring out anything from your interactions from a year and a half ago. You could have had the earliest scoop of any media source. Funny how in all that time, no one else has ever reported anything about anyone in white Guy Fawkes masks.

Have you also been having regular conversations with the White Masks in Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Korat, Buriram, Songkhla, and Nakhon Si Thammarat?

You seem to be preoccupied labelling people as from the yellow universe or red universe? Is this profiling common amongst journalists? I would have thought a journalist would have been more objective and less propagandist. I prefer to class groups by what they stand for, how they conduct themselves and what their objective are.

Doubtless you would therefore not find any fault in the equation PAD = Siam Pitak = Whitemasks.

If I've overlooked some glaring differences between 'what they stand for, how they conduct themselves and what their objective are', do let me know.

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

More holes than Swiss cheese. rolleyes.gif

It's a shame you didn't bring out anything from your interactions from a year and a half ago. You could have had the earliest scoop of any media source. Funny how in all that time, no one else has ever reported anything about anyone in white Guy Fawkes masks.

Have you also been having regular conversations with the White Masks in Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Korat, Buriram, Songkhla, and Nakhon Si Thammarat?

Incidentally - one and a half years ago i published a photo of this group in a New Mandala story. Here it is:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/11/29/siam-samakki/

Just go down, it's the second last image.

;)

As the white mask group is standing for exactly what all different yellow shirt splinter groups stand for - ouster of Thaksin by all means, ultra-royalism, ultra-nationalism and an increasingly strong anti-globalism (the latter two especially regarding Cambodia and oil exploration), and sharing the same protesters, leaders and guards with the other yellow shirt groups - they naturally are part of the yellow shirt movement.

The very right wing stand is also signified by a song that they have played on all of the pubic appearances - "Nac Paendin", which i would suggest you to read about, it's history, etc.

So, yes, i do look at what the different groups stand for. That is why i do differentiate between yellow shirts and other government opponents, such as P-move.

• Like 1

A small but salient point that seems to have been overlooked is the fact that the article claims that after the police managed to seperate the protagonists then they simple put the iron bars or whatever back into their bags and walked off. Banal !! The police should have arrested them and confiscated their weapons.

Protests conducted in a peaceful maner are an accepted norm however having 'Guards' replete with iron bars is more akin to a crowd of thugs and only serves to highlight the pathetic inadequacies of the police and the third world mentality we live in.

I didn't see any yet.

Click the original op.

They are wearing pink shirts mind.

I didn't see any yet.

Click the original op.

And the red shirts are .... where?

Surely with the "Khaosod correspondent" would have got photos of the white shirts attacking the red shirts with the advance notice he got over the radio. He also wasn't able to get photos of the police intervening.

I think Khaosod need a new correspondent. Maybe Nick could get out there and get some photos of white masks attacking the red shirts.

• Like 1

I didn't see any yet.

Click the original op.

Surely with the "Khaosod correspondent" would have got photos of the white shirts attacking the red shirts with the advance notice he got over the radio. He also wasn't able to get photos of the police intervening.

I think Khaosod need a new correspondent. Maybe Nick could get out there and get some photos of white masks attacking the red shirts.

Very funny ;)

I was at that moment at the Rajaprasong corner taking pics of the Red Shirts, and walked then across the street to take pics of the white mask guys just opposite, and have completely missed that incident, and was only told about it in the evening when a yellow shirt guard at Sanam Luang wanted to have a look the pictures i have taken that day in order to find out if i have taken pics of that particular incident. Which i haven't, and he sort of reluctantly told me that there was a brief incident, without going into details. I only found out the details from Khao Sot.

Sometimes you just miss stuff, that just happens. These sort of small incidents are so quick that when you are not just right there when it happens you will not have a chance to take pics as they are over so fast. Over the years i have missed many such incidents of quick violence, and was present at many others, and some i was even able to take good pics of. And then there were some when it was simply not safe enough to take pictures as i would have been targeted. Which, without trying to sound "Red", was and is a worse problem with Yellow Shirt guards. For Thai photographers it's far more dangerous, they are equally targeted by both sides, while foreign Photographers have rarely been targeted by Red Shirts.

Both sides have done stuff like that small incident, which is quite common and rarely gets reported, and without doubt there will be more, and unfortunately worse, most likely.

Red shirts attack peaceful whitemasks - this violence is deplorable.

Whitemasks attack peaceful redshirts - this violence is understandable.

hhmm...I think I'm getting the hang of moral supremacy 101 a la TV now.

Well now try to grasp some advanced concepts like "quantity" and "intensity".

after a group of so-called White Masks used makeshift weapons to chase down a few Redshirts passing their way.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

I didn't see any yet.

Click the original op.

Indeed, it'd be nice to see Khaosod's or his photos of the white masks in Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Korat, Buriram, Songkhla, and Nakhon Si Thammarat as clearly the movement is widespread well beyond Bangkok.

So we've heard from our photo journalist who seems to mostly walk around in red-shirt midst to show how objective he is in his judgments. That's nice. Then we have someone suggesting PAD = Siam Pitak = white masks, therefore suspect. Following we have someone chasing the opinion that innocent red-shirts trying to drive passed were harassed.

None of this matters a single iota! When the white shirts started to protest at Ratchaprasong with hardly two dozen persons the immediate reaction was condemnation. Pheu Thai, government speaking out that such protest was undemocratic, no longer needed and an insult to Thaksin. Following we had peaceful red-shirts protesting very close to the white masks. Obviously those red-shirts were provoked. I mean PM Yingluck herslef had said 'democracy finally regained after nearly a decade'.

So, back to topic. It has been reported that some white shirt guards may have grapped some tools to be on the watch for innocent red-shirts who might try to drive past on motorcy's. Pictures of all this 'whitemask' violence to follow. In the mean time one may have a look at the justly rage of provoked red-shirts in CM and other cities.

Democracy, Pheu Thai led government style. Allegedly or should that be transparently?

• Like 2

So we've heard from our photo journalist who seems to mostly walk around in red-shirt midst to show how objective he is in his judgments. That's nice. Then we have someone suggesting PAD = Siam Pitak = white masks, therefore suspect. Following we have someone chasing the opinion that innocent red-shirts trying to drive passed were harassed.

None of this matters a single iota! When the white shirts started to protest at Ratchaprasong with hardly two dozen persons the immediate reaction was condemnation. Pheu Thai, government speaking out that such protest was undemocratic, no longer needed and an insult to Thaksin. Following we had peaceful red-shirts protesting very close to the white masks. Obviously those red-shirts were provoked. I mean PM Yingluck herslef had said 'democracy finally regained after nearly a decade'.

So, back to topic. It has been reported that some white shirt guards may have grapped some tools to be on the watch for innocent red-shirts who might try to drive past on motorcy's. Pictures of all this 'whitemask' violence to follow. In the mean time one may have a look at the justly rage of provoked red-shirts in CM and other cities.

Democracy, Pheu Thai led government style. Allegedly or should that be transparently?

Nice distortion, as usual...

if you may have noticed - over the past two years i have done far more stories on assorted yellow shirt events than on Red Shirts. My latest story was on both sides with far more images on (and time spent with) yellow shirts.

Past Sunday i have spent exactly one hour with the Red Shirts, and 5 hours with the Yellow Shirts - first during the white mask march, and the remainder at Sanam Luang.

Thanks for *again* using this discussion to personally attack me.

• Like 1

They lose an election, they start a war.

They lose all the elections, big time.

eg Don Muang?

You're playing unfair Yoshiwara - you're using facts not propaganda or urban myth. Now you know that's not how the government supporters play.