American Independence Day Celebration In Phuket - 2013

NomadJoe

The hot air balloon flight did not work at first. The fiber of the balloon got too wet, which caused it to collapse to the ground at first.

After few hours the second try to get the balloon up worked.

The balloon was first filled with air with large fan. After it got the shape the burners were used to get heated and expanded air to the balloon.

Volume of this balloon is 3000m3 and it can lift 560kg. The whole thing is basically physics. Hotter air expands and becomes lighter compared to the colder ambient air. The air on the top of the balloon is at maximum at 120C, for the rest is less. g

2013-07-06_18-35-55.jpg

This is what they mean tethering. The balloon is connected to an heavy vehicle with rope.

2013-07-06_18-41-04.jpg

In the night, it's actually quite pretty

2013-07-06_19-01-58.jpg

For the finale, fireworks

2013-07-06_19-06-08.jpg

Great photos oilinki. thumbsup.gif

//edit - remind me what camera again?

Thanks Tywais,

The camera is Canon SX50HS bridge camera. Great for daytime photos, where light is not an issue. With the long zoom, there is a funny problem which comes from air moisture and general heating of air. Photos become blurry if there is too much change of the air density. I did not notice this before. Today that was not too much an issue as heat was high and humidity was almost 100% everywhere.

We had also one of our TV member at the stage

2013-07-06_17-29-24_1.jpg

And the man I call "bad company" simply due he offered very funny discussion while I (well , whole bar) got way too drunk one day at local bar.

2013-07-06_17-55-22.jpg

Absolutely awesome day. Congratulations to all that put that on.

As Oilinki mentions the stunt pilot is the bomb. This guy is going straight up, doing stalls, killing the engine heading straight down to certain death and compression starts the engine blasting his way into barrel rolls.

I mean, really, helicopters, planes, balloons, beers, food, the funny clown guy, good music everyone should go. recommendation, wear an old pair of sneakers as the ground is a bit muddy in places. Sandals, well expect your feet to get real dirty.

Always good to see the TV members I know.

Phuketsub and Captainraff- you guys get the astronomy thing going I'm interested.

Oilinki-great photos my friend, you've got a real talent there, I promise not to pinch for my Facebook page and Photoshop out your name whistling.gif

Fiddleheadpa-sound system had heavy rhythms, all good there

NomadJoe-nice work man, way to keep the road open in case of emergency, will have to tell you the funny story of when we exited and the guy in the 500SLK was stuck in the mud. I mean really, get a real car w00t.gif

Steelpulse and Zigzag-pretty sure we had as much fun as the kids had. Cheers to all GOM

Photo report of the day 1 of the event. Tomorrow is another day and it well definately worth of the trip up here. Also PM me or NomadJoe as it would be great to meet up with other TV members.

Today there was at least 6 of our active members who were fun to meet.

i'm going up as soon as the rain stops. i would love to meet other tv members but not sure how to recognize you all? secret handshake? propensity towards slagging off phuket? what are the signs?

Photo report of the day 1 of the event. Tomorrow is another day and it well definately worth of the trip up here. Also PM me or NomadJoe as it would be great to meet up with other TV members.

Today there was at least 6 of our active members who were fun to meet.

what are the signs?

singha singlet,fanny pack,jeansshorts i hope i wear right dresscode!

Yeah, It was a pretty amazing day.

Good to see you guys there.
Great pictures Oilinki, I don't care what Steel Pulse says, until he posts some better pics with his new camera, yours wins the prize!

I'm going back up later today to catch some of the air stuff I missed yesterday.
And yes, Coco the Magic Clown was awesome!

Yeah, It was a pretty amazing day.

Good to see you guys there.

Great pictures Oilinki, I don't care what Steel Pulse says, until he posts some better pics with his new camera, yours wins the prize!

I'm going back up later today to catch some of the air stuff I missed yesterday.

And yes, Coco the Magic Clown was awesome!

Great event, good times had with everyone and nice photos oilinki.

Was there today, worth a visit but a lot smaller event than I thought.

Daytime events here are always a bitch: either everybody gets wet or everybody gets too much sun.

Fun weekend. Thanks all for coming. Got a little soggy today. We must have pushed/pulled out over 30 cars that got stuck in the mud. Incredible what Les in his Extra 300 could do. Made me woozy just watching. I never knew you could fly a plane sideways, but he did. There were times he would climb then tumble end over end falling back to earth, then regain control and pull out of the dive 40m off the runway. I would need a windshield wiper on the inside of the windscreen!

Edited by NomadJoe