Full English Language Version Xp Pro

aussman

Hi..I would appreciate any help here. I am currently running XP Pro and Office Pro that came packaged with the computer I purchased in Thailand. It seems only to have English/Thai language for Word...but all the task bars are in Thai. As a non Thai speaker it makes life difficult when trying to work through some of the office activities. So...my question is...can i get a version which has everything in both Thai (for my wife's work)..and English (for my work)....or will i have to a)get another computer and install a fully English version and network or... b)install an english only version of Office in a partitioned HD. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

My PC has XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro, both installed in Thailand. When it was done I asked for English only, and that's what I have, no Thai on it at all. My Son bought me over an English keyboard last year, so I can't even switch to Thai even if I wanted to. Go back to the shop and ask them to change it all to English, it can be done.

In Control Panel, open 'Regional and Language Options'. Open 'Languages' and check that English and Thai (East Asian Languages ) are enabled. Then you could try the following to change between English and Thai and vice versa. It's worth a try and it might change the task bar language.

Open a 'Microsoft Word' blank page.

Select 'Tools' or the Thai equivalent

post-3503-1143873582_thumb.jpg

Select 'Language".

post-3503-1143873597_thumb.jpg

Select 'Set Language"

post-3503-1143873610_thumb.jpg

Select 'English' or 'Thai'

post-3503-1143873624_thumb.jpg

post-3503-1143873636_thumb.jpg

Hi..I would appreciate any help here. I am currently running XP Pro and Office Pro that came packaged with the computer I purchased in Thailand. It seems only to have English/Thai language for Word...but all the task bars are in Thai. As a non Thai speaker it makes life difficult when trying to work through some of the office activities. So...my question is...can i get a version which has everything in both Thai (for my wife's work)..and English (for my work)....or will i have to a)get another computer and install a fully English version and network or... b)install an english only version of Office in a partitioned HD. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

I'm assuming you're mainly concerned about working in Office in English and hence about its interface language, not that of the Windows XP OS.

It's not clear whether you have a localized version of Office or Office with a MUI pack, but you can enable an English interface if you have a Multilingual User Interface Pack installed (which is a nice thing to have, and you may in fact have it). And then you would change the language via Start menu | Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office Language Settings. The name of the Language Settings tool in the Start menu may be in Thai, so you may need for your wife to find it for you.

For Office 2003 there is a useful tool that also works with regional settings, available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

There is a good resource on language packs here:

http://beqiraj.com/office/2003/mui/index.asp

Finally I would note that the interface language for Office XP MUI pack (at least) can be changed to English by entering 0x409 in the following reg keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\LanguageResources, UILanguage, REG_DWORD, 0x409

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\LanguageResources, HelpLanguage, REG_DWORD, 0x409

You could look in your registry and see if those keys exist. If so you would currently see the Thai code, which is 0x41e. It would of course be a bit inconvenient to make a reg edit every time you want to change languages, hence M'soft gives you the Language Settings tool in the Office Tools suite. However, when the MUI is set to Thai, then of course the Language Settings tool interface is in Thai also :o .

Edited by JSixpack