B-2 Visa to States

If denied, round 2 is going to be tough. Not impossible, but tough. You have to present NEW evidence of her ties to Thailand, and reasons for her to return.

I highly suggest having all your apples in a row for the first try.

What is your situation? Are YOU in Thailand? Give us some detail, so we can help.

Shot

My wife is and has been a school teacher for 25 years. She owns a car and property and has money in the bank. They still denied her B-2 and told her she needed a K marriage/fiancee visa, which was ridiculous because neither one of us had any intention of staying in the US. No reason was give and you cannot go in with your wife during the interview.

However, I had the guy's description (in Chiangmai -- small office), so I went in the next day during expat services hours and brought my file. I went up to the window and saw the guy and called him over. He was good enough to talk to me. It was MY visa situation that screwed the pooch. I had just finished two years in the Peace Corps (on a State Department passport), and was returning to the US for one month to get rid of personal property before returning here for good.

The problem was, there was no evidence that I lived in Thailand or planned to stay here beyond my word. Thus, the officer felt there was too much risk that I would just stay in the US and my wife with me. With her credentials, had she gone in alone and claimed to be single, I am pretty sure she could have gotten the tourist visa, no problem. So while I thought being married to an American would be a plus, it was just the opposite.

Today, she could probably get it as I now have a track record. I own two vehicles in my name, have bank accounts, have Thai driver license, we built a house together, etc. This is the sort of thing they look for. However, I have no intention of ever setting foot on US soil again.

By the way, you said "girlfriend." She should NOT mention "boyfriend." If she does, I can almost promise you the B2 visa will be denied and she will be directed to go for the K marriage/fiancee immigrant visa.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 2

Disagree on the "girlfriend" status, it works fine, if the boyfriend is well established here in Thailand. For example, working, on retirement extensions of visa, etc. That's how my now wife got her first three tourist visas, G/F, now married.

Important to show the probability of the boyfriend returning to Thailand, then the presumption is that the G/F will also return.

If the boyfriend is in the U.S., likelihood of the G/F getting the visa diminishes.

Mac

• Like 1

Good responses, thanks.

I've got a number of retirement extensions, and ties here, but no land. I rent, always will.

I think we have a good shot, just wanted to know if they give a reason, so you can disuse or appeal or reapply, or just say, nope.

^^^Your passport showing your extensions should be the first thing your girl shows the interviewer. With that, I think you have a very, very good chance.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Shot

There is no appeal.

They normally tell the applicant what the reason for denial is.

I agree that you have a good chance of her extension. Submit a letter with her application from you with copies of your passport including your extension of stay. When she goes for the interview give her your passport so that she can show it to them if they question the copies.

Edited by ubonjoe

I'd not even wait for the to "question the copies," just have the original passport with the extensions as item 2 to a short cover note, being item 1. Interview might not get any further than that.

Renting isn't a problem. Got a lease? If in your name, include it, if her's, include it anyway.

Mac

By the way, you said "girlfriend." She should NOT mention "boyfriend." If she does, I can almost promise you the B2 visa will be denied and she will be directed to go for the K marriage/fiancee immigrant visa.

The K visa's are not immigrant visas. They are temporary visas just like the Tourist visa (but with a much higher passing rate since you can file petition of support among other things), which is why they recommended them to you. Someone who came on a K visa would still need to make a residency visa after they arrived in the US if they wanted to stay permanently

The K visa's are not immigrant visas. They are temporary visas just like the Tourist visa (but with a much higher passing rate since you can file petition of support among other things), which is why they recommended them to you. Someone who came on a K visa would still need to make a residency visa after they arrived in the US if they wanted to stay permanently

Technically K visas are not immigrant visas. However, they are non-immigrant visas with immigrant intent. A big difference between K visas and tourist visas. The US Embassy actually list the K visas under their immigrant visa section of their website.