Women travelling solo in Phuket taxi's

Poo Ying FeFe

Hello Phuket neighbours,

What is your oppinion about women travelling by taxi alone in Phuket.

I'm struggling to decide if i should park my car at the airport or organise a taxi pick-up. I'm 45mins from the airport and travelling in the daytime.

Both options are convenient and affordable but i'm a bit of a nervous traveller in taxi's by myself. I avoid taking taxi's on my own because of:

1) lame conversations with taxi drivers (pretending to sleep doesn't work).

2) weird diversions between pick-up and drop-off points.

3) crap, dangerous driving (too fast)

4) crap, annoying driving (too slow)

Then again, maybe cars get scratched or dinked when left at the airport...?

If you have some thoughts you'd like to add which might help, please do.

Thanks.

I always park at the airport.

Never a scratch or anything and ive left it there for 10 days.

Also factor in the the taxi is 1000 baht there and 1000 back. Parking is 200 baht a day. Do the math yourself.

I thought airport taxis were 600 or 800 B , when did it go to a thousand......and I need to go to airport next week , anybody going to airport this week lol....Hope they don't charge extra for my WC !

Sorry, are you a man or a woman? And what is a WC... WC is the abbreviation for a toilet right?

Price depends on how the taxi driver is feeling and how well you can negotiate. ฿1000 is a good estimate for my location but you might be nearer to the airport.

(My Wifi keeps dropping out).

Edited by Poo Ying FeFe
  • Like 1

Sorry, are you a man or a woman? And what is a WC... WC is the abbreviation for a toilet right?

Price depends on how the taxi driver is feeling and how well you can negotiate. ฿1000 is a good estimate for my location but you might be nearer to the airport.

(My Wifi keeps dropping out).

I'm a Big Man , 6'3'' 130k. lost 50k from diabetes2 , a WC is a wheelchair , but yes can be toilet too. I live in Patong and in a taxi meter use to run 50B plus me3ter and I never paid more then 400B total , now I hear a 100B airport fee.Where you goin to , BB

• Like 1

I always park at the airport.

Never a scratch or anything and ive left it there for 10 days.

Also factor in the the taxi is 1000 baht there and 1000 back. Parking is 200 baht a day. Do the math yourself.

I thought airport taxis were 600 or 800 B , when did it go to a thousand......and I need to go to airport next week , anybody going to airport this week lol....Hope they don't charge extra for my WC !
I've paid 1000 from Kata to the airport. I think it was 850 return last time I did it.

200 baht a day to park is a much better alternative if it's a short get away.

Well, I'll throw my 2 satang in.

Many people, for the sake of saving a few baht, end up spending more. Example: you drive to the airport to save a few baht, but someone breaks into your car by smashing a window, now, it's cost you thousands of baht.

I understand about the dangerous driving and roads, but you would encounter that, even driving in your own car.

So, for 200 baht a day to park, and the cost of gasoline, and the risk of a break-in into your car by smashing a window, or someone scratching it, I would suggest you pay a few hundred baht more and get a taxi, and believe me, it hurts me to say that, ask anyone on this forum. smile.pngsmile.png

I pay 600 baht to and from the airport, but I have a deal going with my driver.

You should expect to pay 700 baht, maybe 800 baht.

It's peace of mind to know your car is safe at home, less km's going onto the clock, no airport parking fees, no gasoline to pay, no risk an accident can be made to be your fault. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Many people, for the sake of saving a few baht, end up spending more. Example: you drive to the airport to save a few baht, but someone breaks into your car by smashing a window, now, it's cost you thousands of baht.

It's peace of mind to know your car is safe at home, less km's going onto the clock, no airport parking fees, no gasoline to pay, no risk an accident can be made to be your fault. :)

Thank you dear Namkangman, i do agree with those points.

For me - it's not a money influenced decision. It's not for a quick visa run or anything.

So i'll put it to you all this way - if you were unable to take your Wife or grown up Daughter to the airport because of prior commitments. Would you feel relaxed to pop her into a taxi, or would you insist she drive herself there and park up? Forget about how much the car is worth or how many days she is going for.

:)

Fe.

It's peace of mind to know your car is safe at home, less km's going onto the clock, no airport parking fees, no gasoline to pay, no risk an accident can be made to be your fault. smile.png

For me - it's not a money influenced decision. It's not for a quick visa run or anything.

So i'll put it to you all this way - if you were unable to take your Wife or grown up Daughter to the airport because of prior commitments. Would you feel relaxed to pop her into a taxi, or would you insist she drive herself there and park up? Forget about how much the car is worth or how many days she is going for.

smile.png

Take a taxi.

Get hubby to take a photo of the taxi registration plate and make sure you sit in the back seat.

You guys can chat on the phone along the the journey.

I think I know what you are getting at. It was the rapes on the Chinese tourists.

I doubt they will treat you the same way as they would a submissive, young, Chinese lady.

If anything bad happens, make sure you film it and put it on You Tube. :) :) :) :)

I'm sure you will be ok.

smile.png

Fe.

Hehehe, just ask you unlike yourself grown up wife or daughter how they like it better. Watch the perfumetongue.png

I just googled that story on the chinese tourist, I haven't been following that kind of news. My brain has been elsewhere. I imagined there might have been some improvements in their industry, what with the issuance of the green number plates etc. - easier to get caught raping and so on...

I'll take my own transport, otherwise i'll be sitting behind the driver with a cord in my hands waiting for him to do something suspicious.

Shame the Russian taxi's arent around anymore. Especially since people generally say that Russians don't fancy Chinese and Thai women... They would have a niche market there.

• Like 2

I just googled that story on the chinese tourist, I haven't been following that kind of news. My brain has been elsewhere. I imagined there might have been some improvements in their industry, what with the issuance of the green number plates etc. - easier to get caught raping and so on...

I'll take my own transport, otherwise i'll be sitting behind the driver with a cord in my hands waiting for him to do something suspicious.

Shame the Russian taxi's arent around anymore. Especially since people generally say that Russians don't fancy Chinese and Thai women... They would have a niche market there.

There has been no improvement, for anything here, in recent years. :)

Safe travels.

• Like 1

Surin still have russian taxidrivers with better price then tuk-tuk mafia...

lets hope they expand around the airport to..

smile.png

Fe.

I would never recommend a single woman use a taxi or tuk tuk in Phuket. Never. Drivers here are very rapey. Too many horror stories. And for every story we hear about, there will be 5 we don't. There are confirmed cases where drivers in Bangkok were charged with raping passengers were back driving taxi's after the incident, so there is no vetting process whatsoever for drivers.

Speaking as a 12 year resident here, former police officer back home, police volunteer here, and having had three farang friends raped or sexually assaulted by Thai men, and another female Thai friend sexually harassed by taxi drivers, I suggest the following:

Like Iceman said, the only way I would do it, and have done it, is if I don't personally know the driver, I would have a chit chat with the driver, (I will also get real close to him to assess his level of inebriation. Assume he has been drinking. Most have been) I take his photo, and a photo of his taxi's number if he has one, or his number plate if he doesn't. Make sure he see's you do this. From the airport you can take a shared van which is slightly safer as there will probably be others on the van, unless you are the last to get off. Depending on where you are going, there is also an airport bus to town, and hopefully starting July 1st an airport bus to Patong, and maybe to Karon and Kata if they ever sort the tuk tuk filth.

Also, keep some pepper spray in your bag. Good luck.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

smile.png

Fe.

I would never recommend a single woman use a taxi or tuk tuk in Phuket. Never. Drivers here are very rapey. Too many horror stories. And for every story we hear about, there will be 5 we don't. There are confirmed cases where drivers in Bangkok were charged with raping passengers were back driving taxi's after the incident, so there is no vetting process whatsoever for drivers.

Speaking as a 12 year resident here, former police officer back home, police volunteer here, and having had three farang friends raped or sexually assaulted by Thai men, and another female Thai friend sexually harassed by taxi drivers, I suggest the following:

Like Iceman said, the only way I would do it, and have done it, is if I don't personally know the driver, I would have a chit chat with the driver, (I will also get real close to him to assess his level of inebriation. Assume he has been drinking. Most have been) I take his photo, and a photo of his taxi's number if he has one, or his number plate if he doesn't. Make sure he see's you do this. From the airport you can take a shared van which is slightly safer as there will probably be others on the van, unless you are the last to get off. Depending on where you are going, there is also an airport bus to town, and hopefully starting July 1st an airport bus to Patong, and maybe to Karon and Kata if they ever sort the tuk tuk filth.

no need to get overly hysterical or emotional. Every attractive and not purposely attracting woman knows how to cut the vibe. Cannot be that somebody drives you around and confuses you by primitive instinctual sensitivity can it. Present yourself as unfriendly and you sit in the same boat, even if it's a car this time.

Cheers fellas. Good to get your feedback. It's not nice hearing about the number of bad Journeys but good to understand where Phuket stands with its loyalty to womens safety. I honestly thought it was much better now - and i was just worrying about lame conversation. Now all we need is SuperWoman to clear this mess up.

• Like 1

When are you going? From where? If my GF hasn't rented out her car yet I'll have her drive you for 700B (normal rate) and pick up up later. She's in Rawaii and drives for several hotels in the area. Send me a private email.

• Like 1

smile.png

Fe.

no need to get overly hysterical or emotional. Every attractive and not purposely attracting woman knows how to cut the vibe. Cannot be that somebody drives you around and confuses you by primitive instinctual sensitivity can it. Present yourself as unfriendly and you sit in the same boat, even if it's a car this time.

I understand the words, just not the sentences. Are you using Google translate perhaps? Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

Cheers fellas. Good to get your feedback. It's not nice hearing about the number of bad Journeys but good to understand where Phuket stands with its loyalty to womens safety. I honestly thought it was much better now - and i was just worrying about lame conversation. Now all we need is SuperWoman to clear this mess up.

Whether you go by taxi or not I would strongly suggest that you carry a taser and a switchblade. Both can be bought cheaply up in Phuket town. There is a taser currently on sale now that knocks people flat for around 1000 baht. It plugs into your wall directly. Its about the size of a mobile phone, I used it on my Thai neighbour (after paying him 500 baht and a few Sang Soms together). He dropped like a sack of potatoes and was incapacitated for 4mins and 20 seconds. He was so impressed by it he went and bought one for his wife. The switchblade is in case you forget to charge the taser. A good switchblade will cost around 400 baht.

I have never heard of anyone I know getting raped in a taxi though, but male hormones and a farang women can put some Thai men into a radical mental state, its good for your own piece of mind to have protection.

If taxi drivers worry you then get a recommendation from one of your friends, lots of people tend to use the same drivers. Or you could choose a female cab driver

Many people, for the sake of saving a few baht, end up spending more.  Example: you drive to the airport to save a few baht, but someone breaks into your car by smashing a window, now, it's cost you thousands of baht.

I understand about the dangerous driving and roads, but you would encounter that, even driving in your own car.

So, for 200 baht a day to park, and the cost of gasoline, and the risk of a break-in into your car by smashing a window, or someone scratching it, I would suggest you pay a few hundred baht more and get a taxi, and believe me, it hurts me to say that, ask anyone on this forum. Posted ImagePosted Image

It's peace of mind to know your car is safe at home, less km's going onto the clock, no airport parking fees, no gasoline to pay, no risk an accident can be made to be your fault. Posted Image

I park there for convenience and so I dont have to deal with the vultures. I just walk past them holding up my car key while the bellow "taxi" "taxi"

I have parked there for years, no smashed windows or a single mark on the cars.

Where do you get these ideas from?

If I was a woman, I'd be afraid of the pervert drivers. Remember the Chinese tourist abducted for a few hours by a driver?

It's about personal safety and you cant put a price on that.

So, for 200 baht a day to park, and the cost of gasoline, and the risk of a break-in into your car by smashing a window, or someone scratching it, I would suggest you pay a few hundred baht more and get a taxi, and believe me, it hurts me to say that, ask anyone on this forum. smile.pngsmile.png

I park there for convenience and so I dont have to deal with the vultures. I just walk past them holding up my car key while the bellow "taxi" "taxi"

If I was a woman, I'd be afraid of the pervert drivers. Remember the Chinese tourist abducted for a few hours by a driver?

Which one? It was not a singular event.

Many people, for the sake of saving a few baht, end up spending more.  Example: you drive to the airport to save a few baht, but someone breaks into your car by smashing a window, now, it's cost you thousands of baht.

So, for 200 baht a day to park, and the cost of gasoline, and the risk of a break-in into your car by smashing a window, or someone scratching it, I would suggest you pay a few hundred baht more and get a taxi, and believe me, it hurts me to say that, ask anyone on this forum. Posted ImagePosted Image

It's peace of mind to know your car is safe at home, less km's going onto the clock, no airport parking fees, no gasoline to pay, no risk an accident can be made to be your fault. Posted Image

Which one? It was not a singular event.

The most recent publicised one.

Whether you go by taxi or not I would strongly suggest that you carry a taser and a switchblade. Both can be bought cheaply up in Phuket town. There is a taser currently on sale now that knocks people flat for around 1000 baht. It plugs into your wall directly. Its about the size of a mobile phone, I used it on my Thai neighbour (after paying him 500 baht and a few Sang Soms together). He dropped like a sack of potatoes and was incapacitated for 4mins and 20 seconds. He was so impressed by it he went and bought one for his wife. The switchblade is in case you forget to charge the taser. A good switchblade will cost around 400 baht.

I have never heard of anyone I know getting raped in a taxi though, but male hormones and a farang women can put some Thai men into a radical mental state, its good for your own piece of mind to have protection.

If taxi drivers worry you then get a recommendation from one of your friends, lots of people tend to use the same drivers. Or you could choose a female cab driver

Strongly suggest a switchblade and taser to go to the airport in a taxi? Get real..would you suggest the same in ireland or oz, because its just as unlikely a requirement there as it is here

What on earth are you on about? man you are paranoid ..you appear to be a very insecure guy..all the weapons you want/recommend on TV.

I understand the OP's concerns, but jeez, anywhere in the world there is a possibility [tho very small] of some desperate punk guy wanting to take advantage of a female whether in a taxi or not but in all the thousands of taxi rides to and from the airport here how many assaults/rapes have occured? [yes i agree ,even one is one too many] but your suggestion just beggars belief.

OP its easy..just go to a tour desk that a lady working, ask her to organise a taxi for you and point out that you are a little nervous and i'm sure she will get you one of the many good guys or possibly a female who have a taxi to take you.

Second choice would be the 150baht van ..door to door and this time of year, not too many pick ups on the way..

Its not as tho you are travelling in Afghanistan or even India, tho i/ivan suggestion may give you that impression.

Relax, be aware a little as always [anywhere] and go enjoy your travels..smile.png

Strongly suggest a switchblade and taser to go to the airport in a taxi? Get real..would you suggest the same in ireland or oz, because its just as unlikely a requirement there as it is here

What on earth are you on about? man you are paranoid ..you appear to be a very insecure guy..all the weapons you want/recommend on TV.

I understand the OP's concerns, but jeez, anywhere in the world there is a possibility [tho very small] of some desperate punk guy wanting to take advantage of a female whether in a taxi or not but in all the thousands of taxi rides to and from the airport here how many assaults/rapes have occured? [yes i agree ,even one is one too many] but your suggestion just beggars belief.

OP its easy..just go to a tour desk that a lady working, ask her to organise a taxi for you and point out that you are a little nervous and i'm sure she will get you one of the many good guys or possibly a female who have a taxi to take you.

Second choice would be the 150baht van ..door to door and this time of year, not too many pick ups on the way..

Its not as tho you are travelling in Afghanistan or even India, tho i/ivan suggestion may give you that impression.

Relax, be aware a little as always [anywhere] and go enjoy your travels..smile.png

Your signature says it all buddy. "we live in a society where a pizza gets to your house before the police", no I wouldnt bother with tasersin Australia all though I do carry a baseball bat there. In farangland the police will be there in 2mins. What is the response time for the BIB in LOS?

Your signature says it all buddy. "we live in a society where a pizza gets to your house before the police", no I wouldnt bother with tasersin Australia all though I do carry a baseball bat there. In farangland the police will be there in 2mins. What is the response time for the BIB in LOS?

Buddy?? You carry a baseball bat in oz? where , how , why [unless of course you play the game] but confirms what i said.above..and nothing at all to do with your misguided paranoid response to the OP.

• Like 1

Have you seen the amount of road rage attacks there, Arabs and Islanders are always ripping people out of cars to give them a flogging for minor traffic violations. I carry a baseball bat and a ball in the car, whats wrong with that?