Women travelling solo in Phuket taxi's

Poo Ying FeFe

Have you seen the amount of road rage attacks there, Arabs and Islanders are always ripping people out of cars to give them a flogging for minor traffic violations. I carry a baseball bat and a ball in the car, whats wrong with that?

Make sure you get a baseball glove to go with the bat and ball otherwise it can be considered a weapon.
  • Like 2

Have you seen the amount of road rage attacks there, Arabs and Islanders are always ripping people out of cars to give them a flogging for minor traffic violations. I carry a baseball bat and a ball in the car, whats wrong with that?

Make sure you get a baseball glove to go with the bat and ball otherwise it can be considered a weapon.

Thanks for the advice Hans.

Cheers fellas. Good to get your feedback. It's not nice hearing about the number of bad Journeys but good to understand where Phuket stands with its loyalty to womens safety. I honestly thought it was much better now - and i was just worrying about lame conversation. Now all we need is SuperWoman to clear this mess up.

Whether you go by taxi or not I would strongly suggest that you carry a taser and a switchblade. Both can be bought cheaply up in Phuket town. There is a taser currently on sale now that knocks people flat for around 1000 baht. It plugs into your wall directly. Its about the size of a mobile phone, I used it on my Thai neighbour (after paying him 500 baht and a few Sang Soms together). He dropped like a sack of potatoes and was incapacitated for 4mins and 20 seconds. He was so impressed by it he went and bought one for his wife. The switchblade is in case you forget to charge the taser. A good switchblade will cost around 400 baht.

I have never heard of anyone I know getting raped in a taxi though, but male hormones and a farang women can put some Thai men into a radical mental state, its good for your own piece of mind to have protection.

If taxi drivers worry you then get a recommendation from one of your friends, lots of people tend to use the same drivers. Or you could choose a female cab driver

Strongly suggest a switchblade and taser to go to the airport in a taxi? Get real..would you suggest the same in ireland or oz, because its just as unlikely a requirement there as it is here

What on earth are you on about? man you are paranoid ..you appear to be a very insecure guy..all the weapons you want/recommend on TV.

I understand the OP's concerns, but jeez, anywhere in the world there is a possibility [tho very small] of some desperate punk guy wanting to take advantage of a female whether in a taxi or not but in all the thousands of taxi rides to and from the airport here how many assaults/rapes have occured? [yes i agree ,even one is one too many] but your suggestion just beggars belief.

OP its easy..just go to a tour desk that a lady working, ask her to organise a taxi for you and point out that you are a little nervous and i'm sure she will get you one of the many good guys or possibly a female who have a taxi to take you.

Second choice would be the 150baht van ..door to door and this time of year, not too many pick ups on the way..

Its not as tho you are travelling in Afghanistan or even India, tho i/ivan suggestion may give you that impression.

Relax, be aware a little as always [anywhere] and go enjoy your travels..smile.png

He has also shown that he didn't know that brandishing a fake firearm was illegal and has proudly admitted to brandishing his baseball bat at a motorbike driver causing them to crash, also illegal. An arsenal of weapons coupled with ignorance of the law is a scary combination.

Edited by NomadJoe

Cheers fellas. Good to get your feedback. It's not nice hearing about the number of bad Journeys but good to understand where Phuket stands with its loyalty to womens safety. I honestly thought it was much better now - and i was just worrying about lame conversation. Now all we need is SuperWoman to clear this mess up.

Whether you go by taxi or not I would strongly suggest that you carry a taser and a switchblade. Both can be bought cheaply up in Phuket town. There is a taser currently on sale now that knocks people flat for around 1000 baht. It plugs into your wall directly. Its about the size of a mobile phone, I used it on my Thai neighbour (after paying him 500 baht and a few Sang Soms together). He dropped like a sack of potatoes and was incapacitated for 4mins and 20 seconds. He was so impressed by it he went and bought one for his wife. The switchblade is in case you forget to charge the taser. A good switchblade will cost around 400 baht.

I have never heard of anyone I know getting raped in a taxi though, but male hormones and a farang women can put some Thai men into a radical mental state, its good for your own piece of mind to have protection.

If taxi drivers worry you then get a recommendation from one of your friends, lots of people tend to use the same drivers. Or you could choose a female cab driver

Strongly suggest a switchblade and taser to go to the airport in a taxi? Get real..would you suggest the same in ireland or oz, because its just as unlikely a requirement there as it is here

What on earth are you on about? man you are paranoid ..you appear to be a very insecure guy..all the weapons you want/recommend on TV.

I understand the OP's concerns, but jeez, anywhere in the world there is a possibility [tho very small] of some desperate punk guy wanting to take advantage of a female whether in a taxi or not but in all the thousands of taxi rides to and from the airport here how many assaults/rapes have occured? [yes i agree ,even one is one too many] but your suggestion just beggars belief.

OP its easy..just go to a tour desk that a lady working, ask her to organise a taxi for you and point out that you are a little nervous and i'm sure she will get you one of the many good guys or possibly a female who have a taxi to take you.

Second choice would be the 150baht van ..door to door and this time of year, not too many pick ups on the way..

Its not as tho you are travelling in Afghanistan or even India, tho i/ivan suggestion may give you that impression.

Relax, be aware a little as always [anywhere] and go enjoy your travels..smile.png

He has also shown that he didn't know that brandishing a fake firearm was illegal and has proudly admitted to brandishing his baseball bat at a motorbike driver causing them to crash, also illegal. An arsenal of weapons coupled with ignorance of the law is a scary combination.

''Madder than a cut snake'' is the appropriate aussie expression for this guy.

The only law in Thailand is BAHT

• Like 1

IrishIvan, what should the lady do with the taser and switchblade on arrival at the airport?

• Like 2

IrishIvan, what should the lady do with the taser and switchblade on arrival at the airport?

Put it in your check in luggage of course.

• Like 1

The only law in Thailand is BAHT

Touche', touche'. dry.png

Well, I'll throw my 2 satang in.

Many people, for the sake of saving a few baht, end up spending more. Example: you drive to the airport to save a few baht, but someone breaks into your car by smashing a window, now, it's cost you thousands of baht.

It's peace of mind to know your car is safe at home, less km's going onto the clock, no airport parking fees, no gasoline to pay, no risk an accident can be made to be your fault. smile.png

Thank you dear Namkangman, i do agree with those points.

For me - it's not a money influenced decision. It's not for a quick visa run or anything.

So i'll put it to you all this way - if you were unable to take your Wife or grown up Daughter to the airport because of prior commitments. Would you feel relaxed to pop her into a taxi, or would you insist she drive herself there and park up? Forget about how much the car is worth or how many days she is going for.

smile.png

Fe.

If that is you in the profile picture, then do not take a Phuket taxi!

I like to park my car at the airport. The last time I travelled it was parked there for two weeks and not a scratch.

I would especially recommend that to a girl travelling alone like you. I don`t know what the statistics are, but my wife had a bad experience travelling alone in a taxi coming back from the airport once. Nothing serious happened, but she will never travel alone in a taxi again.

I like to park my car at the airport. The last time I travelled it was parked there for two weeks and not a scratch.

I would especially recommend that to a girl travelling alone like you. I don`t know what the statistics are, but my wife had a bad experience travelling alone in a taxi coming back from the airport once. Nothing serious happened, but she will never travel alone in a taxi again.

My ex wife once got a taxi from the airport about 4 years ago.

She asked the driver to stop at 7/11 so she could grab something.

When she came back, her bag had been rummaged through and stuff on the seat.

When confronted him with the obvious, he threw her out along with her stuff and drove off.

She tried to call me but guess what? That's what he took.

This was just one incident. Other times she was getting asked over and over if she had a boyfriend etc.

Never again will I allow a female I know enter a car with a strange local.

My ex wife once got a taxi from the airport about 4 years ago.

She asked the driver to stop at 7/11 so she could grab something.

When she came back, her bag had been rummaged through and stuff on the seat.

When confronted him with the obvious, he threw her out along with her stuff and drove off.

She tried to call me but guess what? That's what he took.

This was just one incident. Other times she was getting asked over and over if she had a boyfriend etc.

Never again will I allow a female I know enter a car with a strange local.

I can relate.

The taxi driver making advances towards my wife was not even a stranger. I let my wife travel alone with him because we had used him many times before.

I always park at the airport.

Never a scratch or anything and ive left it there for 10 days.

Also factor in the the taxi is 1000 baht there and 1000 back. Parking is 200 baht a day. Do the math yourself.

WHAT? Are you actually SERIOUS? a WHOLE one THOUSAND Thai Baht just for a ride to the airport?

Also factor in the the taxi is 1000 baht there and 1000 back. Parking is 200 baht a day. Do the math yourself.

WHAT? Are you actually SERIOUS? a WHOLE one THOUSAND Thai Baht just for a ride to the airport?

I detect a hint of sarcasm but I'll entertain your question.

Yes. That was from the bunch of losers down in Kata. The ones that take up the car park at the or bor tor office.

They said 1000 or nothing. I had no choice as it is the closest taxi mob to me.

Edited by hansgruber

I detect a hint of sarcasm but I'll entertain your question.

Yes. That was from the bunch of losers down in Kata. The ones that take up the car park at the or bor tor office.

They said 1000 or nothing. I had no choice as it is the closest taxi mob to me.

The scumbags near us ask 1200B to the airport. It's ~275B in a Bangkok metered taxi for that distance. No wonder they have so much power raking in that kind of money. 7 days till the Patong airport bus. Kata Karon thugs still threatening to put a stop to it if it comes to there so who knows if that will ever happen. Doubtful. If it does, I will take the day off and follow it with a video camera, seriously.

Edited by NomadJoe

It doesn't matter what country you are in, the job description seems to attract some really sick people.

Plus the overall problem here seems to be the general mood that is assumed with women in Thailand. Thai men are taking advantage of vulnerable foreign women - Foreign men are taking advantage of vulnerable thai women. Men who think that they are mini-Gods, you guys must see them around right?

Espen & Hansgruber, how did that make you guys feel when that happened to your partners and does it effect you when you read the stories in the newspaper from other women's reports? Did you stop using the taxi's too after that happened? It must have caused a lot of problems for you.

@IrishIvan and co, I wouldn't disregard carrying a spray or a tazor but it's really not suitable to move it between your hand bag and Checked in luggage at the airport. Especially since the cab drivers at the airport are insanely annoying. You couldn't put a weapon drop-box in the airport like they do at the ones abroad because somebody would just take the stuff back out and sell them to rapists in the car park.

@andreandre, the last time i went to a nice hotel with my friends and asked for a taxi... the driver came over to greet us in the reception and lead us to his taxi which was a minute down the road, at the regular taxi spot... So the same taxi drivers we are thinking about avoiding. I'm not familiar with which local hotels have their own chauffeurs, as far as i have seen, they use the local guys in their 10 seater Mercedes. I don't live near the big tourist resorts. Is that what you meant?

It is very easy. All depends on who does arrange the taxi fare for you. The driver gets informed about a customer from a third party. Hope that helps. And if you want to return after flying off then get back to the same people.

In case you have a tendency to hysterics.

Sorry, are you a man or a woman? And what is a WC... WC is the abbreviation for a toilet right?

Price depends on how the taxi driver is feeling and how well you can negotiate. ฿1000 is a good estimate for my location but you might be nearer to the airport.

(My Wifi keeps dropping out).

I'm a Big Man , 6'3'' 130k. lost 50k from diabetes2 , a WC is a wheelchair , but yes can be toilet too. I live in Patong and in a taxi meter use to run 50B plus me3ter and I never paid more then 400B total , now I hear a 100B airport fee.Where you goin to , BB

Interesting, he is replying to Poo Ying and you are replying to his reply to Poo Ying. rolleyes.gif

If you need to use a public Taxi. Ask the driver to stand in front of his car, take a photo of him and his taxi reg. Then send the photo to a friend. Politely tell the driver, that your Papa, General XXXXXX makes you send him a photo every time before you get a Taxi.

If you don't see the fear of Buddah in his eyes, then don't use him smile.png

Edited by I Like Thai
  • Like 1