Pollution by burning plastics

Koh Samui

Every Saturday merchants of Angtong market burn, for 2 hours at least, their Styrofoam, cardboard and various plastics.

A thick black cloud invades the area and the air is unbreathable.

People do not dare complain because those merchants are "protected" by the local mafia.

How to stop it?

Thank you for your help

post-112655-0-77209300-1371967619_thumb.

Contact the Tesse Bahn ....

I had the same problem in Bophut and although not stopped a lot better ..

They send around a team to inspect and speak to offenders .... so I believe smile.png

Amazing you had to do something I suppose the Samui local's where out protesting about Oil drilling

• Like 1

Contact the Tesse Bahn ....

I had the same problem in Bophut and although not stopped a lot better ..

They send around a team to inspect and speak to offenders .... so I believe smile.png

Amazing you had to do something I suppose the Samui local's where out protesting about Oil drilling

Something else that's amazing is this tread is going to die as local as well as us local's try to ignore it so a tourist might not see this polution problem on Samui. Every time someone died on the beach in Chaweng all the goodie's said we will do something yes all talk. Why not step up now,.I can type but my walking days are limited at the moment.

I am not sure how I can help you on this one.facepalm.gif

A hotel near me used to do the same. They burnt their garbage (plastic and everything) every Sunday.sad.png

I took photos and went and complained every week for about two months. They just carried on doing it. Eventually one of my neighbours (Thai) complained and it stopped pretty much straight away.clap2.gif

illegitimi nil carborundum - do not let the bastaads grind you down thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As we're all aware this problem is pervasive in SE Asia, India, China, Africa etc. The World Health Organisation warns of damage to the immune system, cancers (leukemia, tumours, et al), and impaired development of the nervous system, endocrine system and reproductive functions (birth defects). In 2011, they established a Provisional Tolerable Monthly Intake (PTMI) for dioxins, furans, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) of 70 picograms (10-12 g) per kilogram of body weight. Though how we measure this as individuals is of course very difficult. PTMI is an estimate of chemical ingestion per month over a lifetime without appreciable health risk. The WHO's webpage on this issue claims almost all exposure to dioxins and furans is through the food chain, but I believe this statement is directed to readers in developed nations whose disposal techniques are safer. What is clear is that any largesse or toleration of this air pollution serves only the health-care industry and the revolting group of right-wing sociopaths who ascribe to uglier predispositions regarding population control. For the rest of us, we must learn to say Mai Sai Toung (I don't want plastic), and give our time to as many Thai people as we can, regarding the dangers of burning plastic. The best way to obtain leverage is to emphasize the financial implication of carrying such a daily toxic burden. Thai's teach the children in school not to burn plastic, and these children have attempted to communicate this to their communities and families, often without success. Whether this is a consequence of ego, laziness, gross stupidity (or all three), the problem continues to require daily emphasis if we're to eradicate it from the mindset of the poor. Good post, Good luck.

This happens all over the island all the time. I think the main problem is that most Thais do not know of, nor understand the concept of pollution. In other words, they do not understand that what they are doing is damaging in many ways, which is evidenced by the fact that the offenders usually stand around breathing in the smoke themselves.

Edited by monkeycountry