Cartoonist Somchai reports to police on PM Yingluck's libel charge

webfact

Cartoonist reports to police on PM's libel charge
By Digital Media

13720508676148.jpg

BANGKOK, June 24 - Political cartoonist Somchai Katanyutanant, widely known as Chai Rachawat, acknowledged a libel charge by Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Metropolitan Police Command in Bangkok today.

He was charged with contempt and libel against a state official through publication and violating the National Computer Act for making a libelous statement against the prime minister on his Facebook page.

According to the allegation, Mr Somchai included a photo of Ms Yingluck giving a speech in Mongolia with the inappropriate statement.

Mr Somchai denied all charges and said he would submit a written response to the complaint to investigating officers.

A group of supporters gathered at the Metropolitan Police Command to give moral support to Mr Somchai, a well-known cartoonist of the mass-circulation Thai Rath newspaper. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-24

Amazing Thailand can call itself "modern" when things like this are still happening.

It's no wonder Thailand receives the second worse rating possible on the Press Freedom Index: "Difficult situation". Level 1 being the best, 6 being the worst, Thailand is ranks at level 5.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

- George Washington

This kind of incident, though in my view an illjudged reaction by the PM and her advisors, is not the reason why Thailand scores so shockingly badly on press freedom.

Amazing Thailand can call itself "modern" when things like this are still happening.

It's no wonder Thailand receives the second worse rating possible on the Press Freedom Index: "Difficult situation". Level 1 being the best, 6 being the worst, Thailand is ranks at level 5.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

- George Washington

This kind of incident, though in my view an illjudged reaction by the PM and her advisors, is not the reason why Thailand scores so shockingly badly on press freedom.

And what is . . . ?

• Like 1

- George Washington

And what is . . . ?

Take a wild guess, Guy Fawkes (as if you didn't know)...or check an international press monitor such as Reporters Without Borders.Failing that just use your common sense and powers of observation.

Or even (not very likely I concede) quit playing agent provocateur.

POLITICS
Thai Rath's cartoonist Chai meets with police but denies defamation charges

The Nation

30208949-01_big.jpg
Chai (far right) Photo : Pramote Puthaison

BANGKOK: -- A well-known Thai Rath cartoonist turned himself in yesterday to face charges of defaming the prime minister.

Somchai Katanyutanan, who is better known as Chai Ratchawat, met with Pol Maj Gen Anuchai Lekbamrung, deputy metropolitan police commissioner, to answers to the charges of having defamed a government official while she was carrying our her duty, defaming a person via an advertisement as well as violating the Computer Crime Act.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra filed the complaint with police against Somchai after he drew a cartoon and posted it on his Facebook wall, calling the prime minister a betrayer of the country who was worse than a prostitute.

Somchai denied the charges and refused to testify to interrogators, saying he would submit his written statement to police at a later date.

A group of people turned up in front of the Metropolitan Police head office to provide moral support to Somchai. Two companies of policemen were deployed to keep security.

Anuchai said the police released Somchai after he acknowledged the charges. He said Somchai had his right to deny the charges and he had promised to submit a statement in his defence.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-24

- George Washington

And what is . . . ?

Take a wild guess, Guy Fawkes (as if you didn't know)...or check an international press monitor such as Reporters Without Borders.Failing that just use your common sense and powers of observation.

Or even (not very likely I concede) quit playing agent provocateur.

Well, I was asking in the hopes that you would give your opinions, I already know my own.

In the words spoken by PM Yingluck in Ulan Bator, Mongolia:

"Thailand lost track and the people spent almost a decade to regain their democratic freedom."

"This is the challenge of Thai democracy. I would like to see reconciliation and democracy gaining strength. This can only be achieved through strengthening of the rule of law and due process. Only then will every person from all walks of life can feel confident that they will be treated fairly. I announced this as part of the government policy at Parliament before I fully assumed my duties as Prime Minister."

She spoke "Taksin speaks, PTP does. The sound byte was meant to get her brother back sooner.

In the words spoken by PM Yingluck in Ulan Bator, Mongolia:

"Thailand lost track and the people spent almost a decade to regain their democratic freedom."

"This is the challenge of Thai democracy. I would like to see reconciliation and democracy gaining strength. This can only be achieved through strengthening of the rule of law and due process. Only then will every person from all walks of life can feel confident that they will be treated fairly. I announced this as part of the government policy at Parliament before I fully assumed my duties as Prime Minister."

She spoke "Taksin speaks, PTP does. The sound byte was meant to get her brother back sooner.

Kind of ironic to hear the Shinawatra's talk about Democracy when everything they ever do is for totally self-serving reasons.

• Like 1

81 years ago a group of people that tried to convince the world that they were setting up a democracy in Siam, overthrew the monarchy and set up a constitutional monarchy. So they say. The some of the people involved in the coup, were wealthy spoiled brats that had their allowance cut, because of the world depression. They were educated in France and influenced by the doctrine of Lenin.

Since than Siam and Thailand has been run by elected people that are good talkers, but are only concerned about their own wealth.

There is no freedom of speech, if you do a satire about the ruling government you will be prosecuted. This is why movies are banned, cartoonist are persecuted, activist turn up missing.

• Like 1

Crybabies the whole lot of em, Dems and Phuea Thai. Why get involved in such a very public career as a politician when you are not mature or thick skinned enough to take the criticism that comes with the job?

Abhisit, when you were studying at Oxford, and living in the UK, did you not once read a newspaper over there?

When you were enjoying the freedoms of an open society, and benefiting from your hi-so education, did you ever stop to consider the values that constitute an open free speech society?

I think not.

Libel. slander, defamation of character, these nimrods are doing an admirable job of ruining their own reputations, rather than a talented cartoonist-journalist who speaks volumes with one cartoon.

Grow up boys and girls! Bring your dog to the office, as the old saying goes in Washington DC, when you come to DC, bring a dog cause that will be the only real friend you will have in the rough and tumble world of politics.

Abhisit, when you were studying at Oxford, and living in the UK, did you not once read a newspaper over there?

When you were enjoying the freedoms of an open society, and benefiting from your hi-so education, did you ever stop to consider the values that constitute an open free speech society?

I think not.

I have no idea how Abhisit fits in to this thread, I do have a very good idea why you have crow-barred him in to it though.

But in response, I bet he did, and spends a fair amount of the day laughing at these clowns.

• Like 2

In a somewhat related issue (democracy, freedom and politically motivated charges that is) we had:

2013-06-24: Silvio B. convicted, sentenced to seven years imprisonment and permanent ban on political activities. Mr. B. is unlikely to serve prison time since he's 76 and any over 70 are very seldom actually imprisoned (mostly murderers and the like only). Mr. Berlusconi vowed to appeal the conviction which he says is purely politically motivated. He said to have felt pursued by opponents for years and the judges were just out to get at him.