What can I do with my broken 22" Samsung LCD monitor

Hi

It looks like my Samsung 22' lcd monitor has reached the end of its lifecycle. I never noticed the screen getting darker over time but then one day when I switched it on the screen it remained very dark and as it warmed up and became lighter it carried on flickering for over 30 minutes. I managed to work around this by changing the display settings to "text" or "internet" and it started working properly.

Over the last day or two that option stopped working but I noticed that if I chose "dynamic display" and a black background screen on Windows 7 the monitor displayed perfectly. Sadly as soon as I open an application like Opera browser or a Windows folder it starts flickering again and is quite unusable.

I have tried using a different computer with the monitor with the same results so my question does anybody know what might be the cause of this problem and can it be rectified by a technician at the local Amorn electronics shop ?

My second question is that if as I fear the monitor is no longer usable or beyond economic repair are there any novel or interesting ways that I could reuse or recycle the parts within or even the case itself. I checked on Google for ideas but only seen the idea of reusing the screen as a photo display.

As always thanks for taking the time to reply

JAF

My samsung lcd monitor was failing so I opened it up and took a look and at the usual suspects and yeah few capacitors had a blown. Replaced em and its as good as new.

So yes a tech should able to fix it if this is the case.

Edited by brianinbangkok
  • Like 2

Oops I didn't read well but the result is the same ......

It's your vid card that ruined it not a problem with the monitor itself ..... yes it's bad but not because of itself

You need a new vid card most likely although it could be a motherboard problem

The specific problem is that to many electrons are being sent to the monitor and it's burning it up , eventually you will need a new vid card and will reliise that when it burns up your next one.

The good news is the monitor can probably be fixed because the burned out circuit can be replaced , but it will just happen again if you don't replace the Card that is sending to many electrons\electricity to it.

Edited by MrRealDeal
  • Like 1

If you used 2 different computers on 1 monitor and had the same result on both computers, would you single out one of the computers as being the problem ?

You have 2 monitors acting the same way on the same computer would mean it's a computer problem not that by some weird stroke of poor luck both of the monitors are bad.

You better change your Vid card before you ruin your new monitor like you are in the process of doing to the other one.

It could be a motherboard problem that causing a problem with the vid card but probably not.

I think you need to re-read the OP

• Like 1

The specific problem is that to many electrons are being sent to the monitor and it's burning it up , eventually you will need a new vid card and will reliise that when it burns up your next one.

I hope the OP ignores this one as well, I have never read anything so funny as too many electrons being sent to the monitor.

The monitor is obviously dead, he already said he tried it on 2 computers.

Thanks for the laugh tho.

I did re read it ..... and reposted sorry for that .... electrons was simply a humerous way to say electricity , electrons are the primary charge carrier in electricity. Electronics is like sort of like plumbing instead of water you have electrons that do a few extra things water does not.

It's the VId card that ruined the monitor I didn't say the monitor wasn't broken

If he listens to you the next one will break as well , if he listens to me it won't.

It might not seem like a computer problem because both computers do the same thing NOW .... however the vid card is the culprit that ruined it and not changing it won't solve the problem because the cause of the problem is the vid card that ruined the monitor not that the monitor went bad all by itself ..... trust me it's true

Buying a new one will solve the problem for only a short period of time until that one burns up to.

You can fix your halfway burned up monitor pretty easy at the shop.

Edited by MrRealDeal
  • Like 1

My ageing 22" Samsung monitor went "dead" app 4-5 month ago. I took it to a Samsung service centre in Pattaya

they called me next day and asked me to come to the shop where they told that it would cost 5000 bath to fix (power card I think).

I told them the monitor is too old to spend that kind of money on it. The service technician agreed to try fixing it without buying a new card.

Next day I picked it up after they called and told me that it's fixed and it was free of charge, I gave the technician 100 bath and left the shop as a happy man.

My monitor is still working but I know it is running on it's last legs and are now using it as a smaller "twin" to my Dell 27" ultra-sharp monitor.

Hi

In all fairness to MrRealDeal I would have to say that he has made a valid point as it turns out that my Radeon 4850 video card has now died as well. But EmptyMind was right to point out that I had tested my monitor on another computer and it displayed the same problem.

As to whether it is because the damage has already been done by the graphics card is hard top prove but it does lead me conclude that the card may well have been the culprit for the problems that I have had with my monitor (which cost 12,000 bht 4 years ago).

I have now purchased a new Gigabyte HD 7770 graphics card and a new 24" Samsung monitor for around the same price as I paid for the old Radeon 4850 card 4 years ago so hopefully this will rectify my problem.

As an aside, do you think that the local Amorn electronics shop will be able to fix my old monitor and if so, what should I tell the technician to look out for

Many thanks to all those that replied. Most informative and helpful as always

JAF

It wasn't some lucky guess ...... I was an electronics tech in the USN

I don't mean to sound mean but I am glad your vid card broke now because it would have done more damage later.

It's hard to prove things in this world I guess .... I say the vid card is the problem and it breaks and that not proof I was right ? lol .... no problem just joking with ya

Yes the screen can be fixed because it's still working a little bit and that means you haven't fried so much of the circuit board it needs to be replaced for more than the monitor is worth.

You won't need to tell them anything they will open it up and see the brown spot on the circuit board where the resistor burned out and replace it like they did for the last 50 people who came in for the same problem !

Get software for the motherboard , expensive ones come with them already to avoid problems like this, I am not entirely sure you can get one for yours, but the software will allow you to control how much electricity pretty much everything can send to something else and has alarms to warn you when things are to hot and all that sort of thing. It's mostly used to Overclock your processor and adjust other components but the safety features are what you want. Just set an alarm for the temp of just over what it's supposed to run at and a shut off a little above that.

Most of the time the problem that created the problem of the problem .... is lack of cooling or cleaning not a problem 3 stages away like a bad motherboard breaking your vid card , so make sure all your fans are clean and working and mostly check the exit part of the vid card ..... if you look at your broken one my guess is it will be slightly clogged with some dust. if it doesn't have a fan the circuit board will be dirty which will do it to. Motherboard software will alert you if one of your cooling fans stop before it creates a problem btw.

Everyone cleans their fans and wipes the dust off the holes on the sides but pretty much no one opens up the computer to blow the dust off the fans in their Vid card and the circuit boards. You are going to be opening it one way or the other eventually, it's just a matter of weather you open it to clean it, or open it to buy a new part !

• Like 1

Hi RealDeal

Yes I think you have hit the nail on the head because my video card was dirty and the engineer who looked at it told me that it was overheating. I also noticed a large buildup of dust and dirt on the outside of the case where it draws in air to cool down.

In retrospect all the warning signs where there but I failed to recognise and rectify them but after reading your latest post it has got me thinking that I should clean my computer inside and out on a regular basis.

I will take my monitor to the local Amorn to get it fixed up armed with the knowledge that you have kindly offered.

Many thanks for your most informative posting, much appreciated

JAF

Too many electrons? No Way!

Also, I do not believe that your graphics card will damage your monitor unless the voltage were to go up like crazy.

You can measure the voltages coming off your graphics adapter card and test this yourself.

If your lcd does not work with your computer, then test with a different computer that you know is working.

Then if it still does not work, take it for repair.

But don't pay much for repair since new monitors are now quite low priced.

ALSO, PLEASE check all your cables. Sometimes a loose cable can cause flickering or sometimes color shift or other problems.

Make sure the cable is securely fastened and is not defective. Change your cables to verify this.

TOO MANY ELECTRONS??###???

The more electrons the better when you have a solar generator though.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Also, I do not believe that your graphics card will damage your monitor unless the voltage were to go up like crazy.

You can measure the voltages coming off your graphics adapter card and test this yourself.

If your lcd does not work with your computer, then test with a different computer that you know is working.

ALSO, PLEASE check all your cables. Sometimes a loose cable can cause flickering or sometimes color shift or other problems.

Make sure the cable is securely fastened and is not defective. Change your cables to verify this.

Did you fail to read the posts above ? LOL

However you are correct that to much voltage going to the monitor is what breaks them , just apparently unaware that saying to many electrons is saying the same thing.

I don't mind the first guy arguing with me .... but since his posts have already shown I was right and his vid card was bad and for exactly the reasons I said it was bad you are just a little absurd.

Voltage is actually not a thing it's the difference between 2 things but I don't want to give you the long explanation

Edited by MrRealDeal

Here is the quick explanation before you make yourself look more foolish ..... electricity is electrons moving through a conductor , here is the definition of voltage :

49178eafba19019fe84dfade91a6d041.png

It's wrong to say that to much voltage came off .... like you did I agreed with , that just because that's how everyone talks but really voltage doesn't come or go anywhere it's the electrons that do , voltage is just a measurement of the difference between two points not an amount of current. It's a measurement of how much energy it takes to move the electrons divided by the strength of the charge ..... it doesn't come or go anywhere the electricity that's made of electrons is what goes along the conductor.

Edited by MrRealDeal

Did you fail to read the posts above ? LOL

However you are correct that to much voltage going to the monitor is what breaks them , just apparently unaware that saying to many electrons is saying the same thing.

I don't mind the first guy arguing with me .... but since his posts have already shown I was right and his vid card was bad and for exactly the reasons I said it was bad you are just a little absurd.

Voltage is actually not a thing it's the difference between 2 things but I don't want to give you the long explanation

You forgot to mention the video cable!

I think if the monitor is more than a couple of years old you will be very pleasantly surprised you replaced it. Each time I have I have been amazed at the improvement in clarity colour and response. Less eyestrain too.

The old monitor if it works or can be fixed cheaply can be used as an additional monitor which is usefull for monitoring a site while working on the main screen or playing a video etc while working.

With luck my present monitor will fail soon facepalm.gif

Edited by harrry

I think if the monitor is more than a couple of years old you will be very pleasantly surprised you replaced it. Each time I have I have been amazed at the improvement in clarity colour and response. Less eyestrain too.

The old monitor if it works or can be fixed cheaply can be used as an additional monitor which is usefull for monitoring a site while working on the main screen or playing a video etc while working.

With luck my present monitor will fail soon facepalm.gif

TBH I was not terribly impressed with the new monitor at first (a Samsung s25b150 bl) because although it is a LED and not a LCD it was also terribly bright and the colours looked very washed out. But once I tilted it and lowered the brightness to 60 it really looked impressive.

So here's wishing that your urge to have a surge comes true so that you too can invest in a new monitor too rolleyes.gif

JAF