Election Day In Thailand

Jai Dee

Have they moved Petchaburi??.... :D

or just the marker as to what is considered the "South"?

eg. "anything" south of Bangkok is the South.

:D

Mea Culpa.

I believe i have just moved a central province into the South. :o

Edited by ColPyat

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin sneaks out of Thai Rak Thai head office

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra sneaked out of the head office of his Thai Rak Thai Party at 6:40 pm, cancelling a plan to hold a press conference at 7 pm.

The party initially scheduled a press conference at 7 pm.

But at 6:40 pm, PM's Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva held a urgent press conference to tell an army of reporters, who were waiting at the party, that the 7 pm conference by Thaksin would be cancelled.

Suranand said Thaksin would like to wait for clear-cut results of the election before saying anything.

While Suranand was speaking to the press conference, Thaksin sneaked out of the head office through a back door and left in a van.

- TN

Have they moved Petchaburi??.... :D

or just the marker as to what is considered the "South"?

eg. "anything" south of Bangkok is the South.

:D

Mea Culpa.

I believe i have just moved a central province into the South. :o

The Petchaburi result is interesting although if I remember correctly the Dems won 2 of the 3 seats there last time around. However, TRT will probably not be liking such an overwhelming no.

I have seen the booths with my own eyes today. If an official would want to stand next to a voter and intimidate him to tick a certain box then it really doesn't matter what direction it faces.

All of them? 50 %? 10%? 1%? 0.01 % ? :D

My point is the partition of the voting booth is so low that the ballot is visible from all sides of the booth if you are standing close enough to be able to see the ballot, so in polling stations where there would be intimidation the orientation of the booth doesn't really matter.

which is a good point!

What's your point? :o

That they might not all be the same / arranged in the same way :D

The Petchaburi result is interesting although if I remember correctly the Dems won 2 of the 3 seats there last time around. However, TRT will probably not be liking such an overwhelming no.

Thanks for saving me arse. :o

But yes, TRT will not like anyone not voting for them, no news in that. And what i fear is that this attitude paired with a most probable large election win will make things rather interesting in the future. The PAD should have negotiated when there was still time.

But who knows, there might be enough "No" votes.

Well, my opera suggestion might be more realistic...

Edited by ColPyat

Speaking of quotes, any progress made in finding those that you said I wrote?

Or is it safe now for everyone to sort out that your accusations were lies?

On the page I referenced I see you calling a Reuters article rubbish because it states there is no indication that there will be a royal intervention, in the same post you cite a Bangkok Post article to back up your claim, however the Bangkok Post article does not in any way suggest there will be a royal intervention. In other words you were making groundless assumptions.

Forgive me for not wanting to invest any more time in finding similar moments of brilliant insight among your 1000 posts a day, sorry playing time is over.

I have more important matters to attend to, like watching tv and drinking beer :o

Edited by Orion76

But yes, TRT will not like anyone not voting for them, no news in that. And what i fear is that this attitude paired with a most probable large election win will make things rather interesting in the future. The PAD should have negotiated when there was still time.

In the ealy results the no vote is holding up better than I expected.

Yes opera for all is a good idea. We all need a break.

My point is the partition of the voting booth is so low that the ballot is visible from all sides of the booth if you are standing close enough to be able to see the ballot, so in polling stations where there would be intimidation the orientation of the booth doesn't really matter.

I didn't think the partition at the booth was that low at polling station where I went to vote this afternoon (in the premises of Holy Redeemer church, Soi Ruamrudee). But unlike last year when we ticked the ballot on the other side of the partition from where the official and observers are sitting, this year we were facing partition with people behind you, although there was enough distance from the booth to where officials are sitting so peeking to see who you're voting for seemed near impossible.

Here's a scene from the election in 2001 that brought TRT to power for the first time. Photography at polling station is no longer permitted since previous election last year as photographs can be used as an evidence against bought-out voters whether or not they really showed up at polling station, so I heard.

http://www.thaivisa.com/gallery/Election-S...polling-station

Edited by Nordlys

Looks as though this will not be over anytime soon. Even though TRT may have votes, let's say 40 yes and 60 no, this recent poll shows that people don't think candidates deserve a seat if they lose to a no vote. I must agree with them, after all, they lost to a no vote.

Winners beaten by "No" vote "don't deserve seats" : Abac poll

Winning candidates who receive less than the number of "no votes" cast in their constituencies should not become MPs, said respondents to the latest Abac poll in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

Sixty-nine per cent of the 1,116 people surveyed said it would be inappropriate for a candidate to become an MP if he or she received less than the number of "no votes".

A total of 38.1 per cent told Abac they think the political situation will worsen after the election.

Thirty eight per cent supported the idea of a national unity government in which opposition parties that boycotted the elections and some antiThaksin protest leaders would join a coalition with the Thai Rak Thai Party to usher in a new round of political reform.

However, 30.5 per cent of respondents opposed the idea, which was proposed by caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

A clear majority, or 70.4 per cent of respondents, said they opposed any use of force against antiThaksin protesters in the coming days, while 14.9 per cent said they supported the use of draconian measures.

As for yesterday's election, 42.1 per cent of respondents said they had decided to cast a "no vote" and 24.2 per cent remained undecided.

The Nation

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/04/02...es_30000775.php

Edited by frodo

Confusing PAD with the Demos again I see ..... Since the PAD's ONLY interest officially is seeing Thaksin gone ... what is there to Negotiate?

As for the Demos ... apparently they knew (or strongly believed) that Parlaiment would not be able to be convened if the elections were boycotted by them ...

Speaking of quotes, any progress made in finding those that you said I wrote?

Or is it safe now for everyone to sort out that your accusations were lies?

On the page I referenced I see you calling a Reuters article rubbish because it states there is no indication that there will be a royal intervention, in the same post you cite a Bangkok Post article to back up your claim, however the Bangkok Post article does not in any way suggest there will be a royal intervention. In other words you were making groundless assumptions.

Forgive me for not wanting to invest any more time in finding similar moments of brilliant insight among your 1000 posts a day, sorry playing time is over.

I have more important matters to attend to, like watching tv and drinking beer :o

The Reuters report said there was no indication the monarchy was going to be involved. I pointed to the Bangkok Post article that said the monarchy was having a rare meeting of the entire Privy Council.

No where in my post did I predict the monarchy would get involved. I would NEVER predict ANYTHING regarding His Majesty King Bhumiphol's actions. I'm on record several times to discourage others who have speculated on what he's thinking or what he will or will not do. In addition to going against forum rules, even more importantly to me is that I believe it's certainly

not our place to do so....

and that's what particularly bothered me about your accusation.

So the end result is.... your accusation is a lie.

It saddens me to say, but just more dishonesty on thaivisa....

Go back to your beers, it's something you're far better at.

"No vote" worries Thai Rak Thai

Thai Rak Thai leading members were worried by the higher-than-expected number of voters who cast "abstention" vote, a party source said.

The source said caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra scheduled an urgent meeting at noon on Monday to discuss the situation after expecting many people would cast "no vote" in Sunday election.

The Thai Rak Thai realised that a lot of people had cast "no vote" once the polling stations were closed at 3 pm.

Will he be announcing that he is stepping down? :o

In some places TRT has HUGE advantage over no votes. Like 21,000 against 2,000.

Time to burn the ring Frodo, it's the only way. Drop it. :o

But if with all their advantages of incumbency and state control they cannot hold the line in Nakhon Nayok and Chonburi wherre they calso control all the MPs. Things really are getting difficult for TRT. Now if something goes wrong in Chiang Mai...

Can someone clarify something for me? Seeing a lot of talk about 20% needed to actually win the seat - is that 20% of the people who voted, or 20% of the people eligible to vote? Seems to be big gaps in what I can make out - i.e lots of people dont appear to have voted, unless they have not counted all the ballot papers and release some figures partially through a count which seems somewhat pointless.

Many thanks

Can someone clarify something for me? Seeing a lot of talk about 20% needed to actually win the seat - is that 20% of the people who voted, or 20% of the people eligible to vote? Seems to be big gaps in what I can make out - i.e lots of people dont appear to have voted, unless they have not counted all the ballot papers and release some figures partially through a count which seems somewhat pointless.

Many thanks

It will be 20% of people who have actively voted - although in theory voting is compulsory many dont live where they are registered and so dont vote.

"No vote" worries Thai Rak Thai

Thai Rak Thai leading members were worried by the higher-than-expected number of voters who cast "abstention" vote, a party source said.

The source said caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra scheduled an urgent meeting at noon on Monday to discuss the situation after expecting many people would cast "no vote" in Sunday election.

The Thai Rak Thai realised that a lot of people had cast "no vote" once the polling stations were closed at 3 pm.

Will he be announcing that he is stepping down? :o

shhhhhh.... it's a secret...

shhhh.jpg

Many thanks

If a candidate has no opponent in a certain constituency there has to be a 20% voter turnout or the vote in that constituency will be anulled and there will have to be by-elections in that constituency until there is a 20% turnout or a second candidate enters the race.

A new government can not be formed until this process is completed and there is no limit on the amount of by-elections that can be held. In other words the status quo can last indefinitely.

In some places TRT has HUGE advantage over no votes. Like 21,000 against 2,000.

Time to burn the ring Frodo, it's the only way. Drop it. :o

But if with all their advantages of incumbency and state control they cannot hold the line in Nakhon Nayok and Chonburi wherre they calso control all the MPs. Things really are getting difficult for TRT. Now if something goes wrong in Chiang Mai...

Which would only continue the stalemate, which would bring us even closer to something very nasty.

20% of those who actually voted, and only in case there's only one candidate running - a few hundred constituencies.

So far only a few percents of votes have been counted so it's not the time to talk about 20% threshold. The only interest at this moment is TRT vs "No vote" and the results so far swing wildly.

Orion, I think you are not correct on the minimum turnout - 20% is a number of total votes cast to declare a winner.

>>>>>>

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/04/02/hea...es_30000775.php

70% of Bangkokians oppose the use of force against anti Thaksin protesters.

Edited by Plus

Many thanks

to win unopposed it is 20% of ALL eligible Voters from that constituency .... which is why there were accusations that TRT paid minor parties to run .... in constituencies that have 2 or more candidates you only have to win by one vote ... and 20% don't have to vote

I think Orion is correct --plus

Edited by jdinasia

Most voters in Surat Thani's Constituency 1 vote for "no vote"

At 9:40 pm when the ballots counting in Surat Thani's Constituency 1 showed that 99 per cent of voters cast the abstention votes.

By that time, the voting counting has been done by 10 per cent.

The constituency is contested by Thai Rak Thai's Phanusi Bussayakan.

- TN

Across the north TRT seems to be taking it 2:1. Chonburi still seems to be majority no. Some rayong constituecies seem to be going this way too. One constituency in Khorat is tending to no. Nakhon Nayok seems to be back to evens. Kanchanaburi also seems to be tending no in early returns. Petchaburi seems solidly no now.

Interesting to see how non-BKK consituencies seem to be providing the interest.

Actually, I believe it was 2 out of 5 seats in Petchaburi that went for the Democrats last time. If things arn't looking good for TRT in Petchaburi now though, I think TRT would hate to see how things look further down south. And if the reports from other TVers about Chonburi is correct, then that spells even more trouble for TRT - the power of the Khunpluem family's electoral machine is legendary; if they can't deliver for Thaksin this time around, well... I guess Kamman Po may really have to serve some time after all!

Edited by tettyan

Orion, I think you are not correct on the minimum turnout - 20% is a number of total votes cast to declare a winner.

Really? I thought the rule was 20% of eligible voters have to cast a vote?

So of the people that actually show up, 20% have to vote TRT for their candidate with no opponents to win?