View Talay 8

lestat6009

Looking to possibly purchase a condo in View Talay 8. I've looked all over the web and cannot find any real information or reviews other than classified ads.

A litle about me. I moved to Thailand about 6 months back and have been renting in Jomtien. I intend to stay in Thailand long term and I would live in the property. I would like a property that IF and when I decide to sell, I have a decent chance of not losing too much (I know its unlikely to turn a profit).

I'm not in any rush to purchase but if a good deal came, I would be ready and able to purchase quickly. Specifically I would be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom in the 90+ sq meter range and would be willing to spend up to about 7mil for the right property.

I really like the location and it seems to be well built but when I went to the sales office, it appears that the property is at best 50% sold (and probably less than that). here are my questions:

For Owners/Residents:

1. Is the property well managed and maintained?
  2. Quality of building, any issues?
  3. Any concerns about the financial health of the property (i.e. sufficient sinking fund, etc.)?
  4. Is there any flooding in that area of Jomtien (I haven't seen any but as stated, only here 6 months)?
  5. What you like best about living there?
  6. What you biggest complaints or annoyances are (i.e. noise, smelly sewage, etc.)?
  7. How well does the building stand up during big storms (i.e. typhoons). Was it built with proper tempered glass and high quality balcony doors to withstand storm winds?

Anyone else:

1. General thoughts about the property?
  2. The property was completed end of 2010, so is it normal that upwards of 50% of the units are still not sold or is that a sign that the property is in trouble?
  3. Value? the properties seem to be selling for between 64k and 74k per sq meter. What would be considered a good buy in that building. I would think between 55k and 60k per sq meter would be a good value - any thought?

I am not tied to VT8, but at the moment, it is the property that most appeals ot me from what I have seen. I want to be in Jomtien. I would like a property that has a decent sea view and unlikely to blocked anytime in the foreseeable future.

I know many of you will just say, don't buy, rent but I'm ultimately here long term and I would like to purchase a condo so not looking for opinions on buying a condo (or not) but rather more specifically about VT8 and or comparable condos I should look at.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Just one question though ,i know you say you are here long term and that you feel you will not make a profit if you sell ,then why tie up 7 million baht on buying a property that you more than likely will not be able to sell ,if you want to move? just asking.

lestat6009.

As a co owner I feel qualified to answer your questions:

1. The property is well maintained security is good.

2. The quality of construction is fine but beware of water leaks from above, mainly the balcony ceiling.

3. I have concerns about the sinking fund and maintenance fund as the developer only pays 40% of the maintenance that the co owners pay, he voted this in at the fist AGM as he has majority vote. And as the developer runs his own hotel in here that indeed stinks! you may or may not be aware that the developer retained now 9 floors and is increasing his hotel rooms held as V8 Seaview Hotel on many upper floors.

The condo is no where near 50% sold, the sales office are being less than truth full here.

4. No flooding here in the 18months I have been resident.

5. The nice ocean view.

6. Noisy Chinese tourists and drunk and belligerent Russian tourists, are what I dislike most.

7. The building stands up well to high winds and storms, no toughened glass im afraid.

If you are looking to buy, don't buy through the sales office as you can get a much better deal in the re sale market.

If I were you I would buy elsewhere, if you do want to buy good luck and bargain hard as you wont get a good price if and when you resell. There are plenty of owners in here who want out, so you will easy find a place to buy. If you want a high floor 2 bed room great ocean views PM Me. I will be happy to take your money.

BW.

lestat6009.

2. The quality of construction is fine but beware of water leaks from above, mainly the balcony ceiling.

3. I have concerns about the sinking fund and maintenance fund as the developer only pays 40% of the maintenance that the co owners pay, he voted this in at the fist AGM as he has majority vote. And as the developer runs his own hotel in here that indeed stinks! you may or may not be aware that the developer retained now 9 floors and is increasing his hotel rooms held as V8 Seaview Hotel on many upper floors.

The condo is no where near 50% sold, the sales office are being less than truth full here.

5. The nice ocean view.

6. Noisy Chinese tourists and drunk and belligerent Russian tourists, are what I dislike most.

7. The building stands up well to high winds and storms, no toughened glass im afraid.

If you are looking to buy, don't buy through the sales office as you can get a much better deal in the re sale market.

If I were you I would buy elsewhere, if you do want to buy good luck and bargain hard as you wont get a good price if and when you resell. There are plenty of owners in here who want out, so you will easy find a place to buy. If you want a high floor 2 bed room great ocean views PM Me. I will be happy to take your money.

BW.

Nah you must be wrong mate JSixpack mentioned in a related thread that most condos owners are happy that they purchased their condo.

As an alternative to VT8, have a look at VT5C & D you may get more for your money.

You may also not be aware that VT8 has not the same developer and management as all the other

Viewtalay buildings 3,5,6 & 7.

I would also suggest that VT5 & 7 are more sought after for being centrally located to Jomtien.

Just one question though ,i know you say you are here long term and that you feel you will not make a profit if you sell ,then why tie up 7 million baht on buying a property that you more than likely will not be able to sell ,if you want to move? just asking.

I would love to make a profit but the objective is to find a condo that I want to live in and if and when I sell, I'm assuming that I won't make a profit but of course will try. I'm just realistic about the housing market here and seeing the abundance of new apartments, I think it would be difficult to turn a profit. The 7mil is the upper range that I'm comfortable with given my financial situation that if I had to walk away at a sigificant loss, I would be ok.

BW.

Big Willy, thanks so much for honest appraisal. I was not aware of the that the hotel had 9 floors which means the number of units sold is even less than I thought. I now know why entire floors appear to be sold. While it is a beautiful property, I will have to think again. I still like it and think over time it would be a great place to live but will think hard about whether its the right place to be. Any thoughts on where you would buy if you could do it over again?

As an alternative to VT8, have a look at VT5C & D you may get more for your money.

You may also not be aware that VT8 has not the same developer and management as all the other

Viewtalay buildings 3,5,6 & 7.

I would also suggest that VT5 & 7 are more sought after for being centrally located to Jomtien.

Sotsira, Thanks for the recommendation. I have been also been looking at VT 5 and 7 but the appeal of VT 8 to me is that it is further away from the busy part of Jomtien and is much quieter. I did not know that the developer and management was different though so will have to investigate further as one of the appeals of the View Talays is that people tell me that they are well built and managed. May not be the most luxurious but good solid building. I looked at many of these newer complexes and the build quality and the maintenance seem to be very suspect.

-----------------

That all said, anyone have other view of VT8 or recommendation for what you think is the best condo building in Jomtien (taking into account location, value, management quality, etc.)

Thanks again!

If you would like to contact me direct, I will put you in touch with an honest well qualified agent/friend..... who will be "on your side"

The agent will be "on the side" of his client, the seller, and rightfully so. Wouldn't it be nice if the buyer could hire an agent to represent his interests as is done in many countries?

If you would like to contact me direct, I will put you in touch with an honest well qualified agent/friend..... who will be "on your side"

The agent will be "on the side" of his client, the seller, and rightfully so. Wouldn't it be nice if the buyer could hire an agent to represent his interests as is done in many countries?

Same in Thailand as most countries.

Having been in the property business for over 30 years (buying and selling)... I know all about agents and would agree with your thoughts

But I know this guy very well and he looks after buyers and sellers fairly.....it is the only way to get a sound reputation, which comes from word of mouth

We have all been let down by agents, after all most of them are just spivs and double glazing cast-offs

If you go to the Viewtalay sales office in front of VT2A Thappraya Rd

you will see that they don't have any connection with VT8 as it was built

by a relative of the main VT developer.

I can also vouch for VT5C&D for it's quietness especially on the Pattaya

side of the buildings, although the Jomtien side is probably no different.

• Like 1

I would recommend anyone buying a condo rent in the building before they buy

Very sensible idea........especially in a "lively" place like Pattaya/Jomtiem

And I would always avoid these "pre-cast" build condos which are springing up

They will "ring like a bell" with any door slamming etc. or other noise

• Like 1

lestat6009.

5. The nice ocean view.

BW.

Ref your point 3 - the developer can't do that. He has to pay in full. See a lawyer to take it up with lands offce. They have acted in respect of other condos in this situation - not least Northpoint.

Vt 8 is exactly build as all view talay, nothing else to say but that it's better than all the new cheap Russian condos being built now.

Even VT 1 and 2 are better build than new condos that use cheap materials.

You won't get any better price for VT8 or other VT if you buy a shell, the price is fixed and people telling that they can get a better price are just stupid liars.

The only way to get a better price is to buy a condo from someone who already bought it from the building.

I also prefer VT 5 on sea side because no retarded pickup with loud music all night there (not road).

But VT 5 and VT8 have the same problem: nothing is built yet in both sides of the building, so it means that sooner or later a new tower will be in front of your window, so it's a risk, just as people who bought VT6 and got Central in front of their window few years later.

I still prefer VT1 and VT2 because they cost half price and allow to have a bigger condo for the same price as VT8.

Also, VT1 pattaya side will NEVER have any building in front as the car park is big and then there is a very big MOOBAN newly build.

VT1 is the only View talay that I am sure will never have anything in front of it. (but not jomtien side, as there is already 2 on jomtien side, but who is going to by on jomtien side except the blind when you know that VT 1 pattaya side is so quiet with such a nice sea view ?

Not sure what that reply means. In America, the buyer signs a contract with his own personal agent who represents him throughout the sales process. Here it is "buyer beware".

Vt 8 is exactly build as all view talay, nothing else to say but that it's better than all the new cheap Russian condos being built now.

Even VT 1 and 2 are better build than new condos that use cheap materials.

You won't get any better price for VT8 or other VT if you buy a shell, the price is fixed and people telling that they can get a better price are just stupid liars.

The only way to get a better price is to buy a condo from someone who already bought it from the building.

I also prefer VT 5 on sea side because no retarded pickup with loud music all night there (not road).

But VT 5 and VT8 have the same problem: nothing is built yet in both sides of the building, so it means that sooner or later a new tower will be in front of your window, so it's a risk, just as people who bought VT6 and got Central in front of their window few years later.

I still prefer VT1 and VT2 because they cost half price and allow to have a bigger condo for the same price as VT8.

Also, VT1 pattaya side will NEVER have any building in front as the car park is big and then there is a very big MOOBAN newly build.

VT1 is the only View talay that I am sure will never have anything in front of it. (but not jomtien side, as there is already 2 on jomtien side, but who is going to by on jomtien side except the blind when you know that VT 1 pattaya side is so quiet with such a nice sea view ?

Agreed on the pricing of VT1 and VT2 being half the price. That is where I am torn. I like VT 5 and 8 the best in terms of location and the building itself while VT1 and 2 are starting to look a bit run down to me and also not on the beach.

I think VT8 is ideally located for me as I prefer to be further away from the crowded side of Jomtien. I know eventually it will spread but at the moment, VT8 is located in a realtively quiet area of the beach and I like the feel of it better over there.

The units I'm looking at are all fairly close to the front of the building and the Pattaya side has the Furama hotel so unlikely that it will be replaced anytime soon with a new tower . As its set further back from the Beach than the front of VT8, it's unlikely that anything will go up and block that view on that side of the building.

I think the previous poster who says rent in the building first makes good sense and that I probably my next move at this point unless I see a great deal somewhere (previous owner fire sale). As stated, not in any rush so have time to monitor and watch.

It does concern me that so much of the building is still unsold and there is an avalance of new projects but most are the cookie box apartments so not really in competion with the higher end larger apartments. Different price point and buyers.

All good comments and good food for thought. Anyone have any other buildings that they would recommend over VT8 in Jomtien?

Thanks...

I would recommend anyone buying a condo rent in the building before they buy

Very sensible idea........especially in a "lively" place like Pattaya/Jomtiem

And I would always avoid these "pre-cast" build condos which are springing up

They will "ring like a bell" with any door slamming etc. or other noise

Or collapse as one did in S London years ago , you are also correct ,very noisy ,jerry built and cheap social housing in the UK .

Did you have a look at VT3? Its between Pattaya and Jomtien somewhere down Pratamnak Hill, should be quiet. 10 min walk along the nicest Beach to Jomtien.

I have, thank you. I like the building and great location on the beach but don't like the Pratumnak Hill area to live. I like more than 2 escape routes :-) With all the construction up there and the endless traffic at the main light, I prefer being on Jomtien beach. I have a car so drive a bit and getting in and out of the area would bother me. That area needs to rethink its roads given all the new construction there. Also, GF can't drive a car or motorbike so needs to be close proximity to baht bus.

Check out Jomtien Beach Condominium and LaRoyale. JBC is more like a VT1/2 and LaRoyale is more priced like VT8.

I've looked at Jomtien Beach Condo and very similar to VT1 but older. Probably would look at VT1 or VT2 before JBC. La Royale looks interesting so will check it out. Thanks!

Currently I am renting in a condo hotel complex (in north pattaya) and I would never want to own a condo in a building that is also a hotel. This means that you have to share the pool with the hotel guests and (maybe) the elevator which can become crowded with package tours arriving at the same time. Since many hotel guests are going to enjoy their stay until 2..3 in the morning and party all night, it may not be a quiet environment.

Then there is the elevator issue with hotel guests...No- don't move into a condo that is also a hotel.

Edited by toenail