Money in Thai bank - the opposite direction

Hi All,

This may not be the right forum, but since the topic presumely may have interest for those who are here on yearly extensions based on money in a Thai account and contemplating relocation back home or elsewhere, I'll give it a try and leave it up to the mods to move it, if they so wish.

I can't say I've done much research sofar inasmuch I've figured I might get some good pointers from other members before going out asking difficult questions to bank staff. My situation is that I have my 800,000+ Baht in a 3 year old Kasikorn account to which I have Internet banking and the receiveing end (own account in home country) is completely unproblematic whichever method I may use to transfer from Thailand and into it.

Sofar, I've only checked the simplest option - i.e. transfer online via Kasikorn's Internet bank. That appears to be a no go. Although they allow to add foreign recipient accounts, one needs to select one of a few predefined purposes for the transferred money and one needs to submit some explicit documentation as proof for the declared purpose being true. As for a foreigner, transferring money out, he'll need a workpermit and statements from the employer, etc. - As usually is the case for guys on extensions based on 800,000 in the Thai bank, I don't have any employer nor a workpermit. So that's not the way to get it done.

Anyone having any experience or suggestions how to get one's money back home again - apart from withdrawing it all and either pack the notes in the suitcase or paying Western Union a huge fee?

You have e-receipts for the money you transferred here, and (sorry to hear) your brother is in hospital facing large expenses.

Print the receipts, take them + passport to bank, tell them the story, change the B back into your own country's currency

(expect to pay ~ 1,500B K-bank 'fees'), send the money back to your home country bank account. Cheers, AA

You have e-receipts for the money you transferred here, and (sorry to hear) your brother is in hospital facing large expenses.

Print the receipts, take them + passport to bank, tell them the story, change the B back into your own country's currency

(expect to pay ~ 1,500B K-bank 'fees'), send the money back to your home country bank account. Cheers, AA

Unfortunately, the origin of the funds isn't that simple and I'm not even sure it would be considered of foreign origin. I transferred some million Baht to Thailand in the years 2004 - 2006 for company setup and establishment of business including buying a shophouse. From 2005 - 2009 I was employed as MD of said company complete with workpermit and tax-payment, etc. Company closed and shophouse sold for more than I paid for it in 2009 and a fraction was even transferred back to my home country. At that time all my accounts were at Bangkok Bank and I had no problem transferring out of Thailand - good (but modest) client wellknown in the branch and they knew all about my money and were in fact involved in the sale of the shophouse.

Thus - even if a complete paper-trail (which I won't even think of trying to obtain) was submitted to Kasikorn - there isn't anything decisively saying that particular money original came from abroad. The funds arrived at Kasikorn with me personally handing over a cachier's cheque issued by Bangkok Bank (where I'm no longer a good, wellknown client).

I did look into this a little in the light of taking some cash money with me on a visit to the UK.

It would seem that you can only take a small amount of Baht out of the country but can take a larger amount in UK pounds for instance.

I was looking at taking 100,000 b which I could not do but I can take the equivilent on pounds.

Anyway who in the UK would want Baht so it must be exchanged in TL.

Cant remember the exact numbers or where I looked.

Never used them, but is there not something like an International Bank Draft (drawn in the western currency) from Bangkok Bank that you can buy over the counter?

There is a maximum value of draft without too many questions, so you just buy multiple drafts?

Hope someone can state if this is right or wrong. As I say, have never used them, but something like this jogs my memory.

Not clear if you are UK or USA destination. For USA could just withdraw cash from bank and change to US$ eg. Super Rich. Entering USA be sure to declare any sum over us$10k but it's perfectly legal to bring such cash in. May get question why but you have a good reason.

The best bet without a work permit is to ensure you get a foreign exchange transaction form (Tor Tor Sam?) from the Thai bank every time you transfer large amounts of money into Thailand, specifying the transfer reason ie.purchase of condso, purchase motor vehicle etc...hold onto this and when presenting to the bank can transfer the same amount of baht back to your home country account when you want later on. No work permit required. Similarly, if selling assets such as condos, funds up to the amount sold for on the land office sales receipt can also be transferred back home. No work permit required. Some bank branches can provide the international funds transfer, others cannot. Most bank websites list which branches can do it.

For the OP, wouldnt you have had a TT3 from a bank when purchasing your shophouse etc and relevant land office receipts for the sale of assets?? Should be able to use those to transfer funds out...