The last day at The Olde Bell

OldeBellPedr

Today, Sunday 30th June is the last day at The Olde Bell. Beer and We've got one last day for everyone to enjoy!

From 9.30am until 1pm come and sample one of our Great British Breakfasts! We have sets and a la carte. Spend over 100 ฿ and we'll give you a free Bloody Mary to start your day!

From 1pm until 4pm we've got a 10฿ table top sale. Hundreds of books, CD's, DVD's bric-a-brac, pub things like crockery, cutlery, beer glasses, stubble holders (condoms) furniture items and much more are available.

Also starting a t 1pm, we have our last ever Sunday lunch. Choose from roast pork, beef, lamb, chicken or our vegetarian chestnut loaf. All served with roast potatoes, mash, veg and gravy. We will continue serving until 8pm or until its gone!

In the evening we've got the British Grand Prix at 7pm and after that we'll start to wind down.

It's been a roller coaster of a wife's weeks. Hope to see a few of you guys tomorrow!

Best wishes to you all!

• Like 2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12.00am, Monday morning and this means the Olde Bell if now a thing of the past.

Perhaps the Olde Bell will be like the phoenix and rise out of the ashes again. We will see.

Wishing the owner, his family and all the staff long life, good health and a prosperous future.

post-110219-0-22949800-1372612326_thumb.

• Like 1

I wonder who the candidates are for the next 'Chiang Mai Home of Thai Visa' ?

River Market would be a good candiate for any events; spacious, centrally located, enough parking, and they're a forum sponsor.

Major questions would be if there will be any more events, and if Mr. Duke even wants to entertain the great unwashed TV membership... wink.png He does of course host big gatherings with an American focus, though that may be a little easier given they're generally a higher class of expat.

Another obvious place is Number 1 bar, and/or their riverside place in Pa Daed for bigger gatherings. Of course they have not been traditionally very interested in the Thaivisa forum. But the same applies to Mad Dog, CM Saloon (Ratwithi) and the UN Irish.

Oh, and there is Pun Pun of course. Borrow a truckload of chairs and tables from a nearby temple and it's plenty big, too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder who the candidates are for the next 'Chiang Mai Home of Thai Visa' ?

I must be out of touch as "I didn't know it was"

You never saw The Olde Bell ad in the right hand column of ads?

Probably haven't been here long enough to know that it was Tuskers and The Olde Bell took over when Tuskers closed down.

sounds like Chiang Mai is more provincial than a peasant's village

What we need is a local pub for local people wink.png

The Red Lion and O'Malley's caters to some local people, but really want the tourist market in that area.

I guess The Pub on Huay Kaew is for local people, been there for some time

Where did you have in mind when you said, local?

sounds like Chiang Mai is more provincial than a peasant's village

What we need is a local pub for local people ;)

The Red Lion and O'Malley's caters to some local people, but really want the tourist market in that area.

I guess The Pub on Huay Kaew is for local people, been there for some time

Where did you have in mind when you said, local?

Sorry - I was joking and playing on a quote from League of Gentleman (as I had to explain it it proves the joke wasn't funny!)

Chiang Mai has become a social wasteland, certainly not spoiled for choice.

Now that the Olde Bell has gone, I very much doubt there will be a New Bell opening up to replace it.

I know that the authorities will not issue any new licenses for large Western style restaurants or beerbars, once closed, that’s it, no other options available. Even the remnants what is left, are struggling and maybe on borrowed time.

Good luck with finding another venue for a Thai visa member hangout, I cannot think of anywhere suitable, most of the good stuff has long gone.

Be prepared to spend a lot more time looking round the stores, having the occasional grandma massage, in the garden, on your computers or become a monk, because there is very little else to do in Chiang Mai these days for us expats.

Sad but true.

Now that the Olde Bell has gone, I very much doubt there will be a New Bell opening up to replace it.

I know that the authorities will not issue any new licenses for large Western style restaurants or beerbars, once closed, that’s it, no other options available. Even the remnants what is left, are struggling and maybe on borrowed time.

Good luck with finding another venue for a Thai visa member hangout, I cannot think of anywhere suitable, most of the good stuff has long gone.

Be prepared to spend a lot more time looking round the stores, having the occasional grandma massage, in the garden, on your computers or become a monk, because there is very little else to do in Chiang Mai these days for us expats.

Sad but true.

The Pub, the first and will probably be the last. And as said years ago (but nobody listened) a great venue for a Thai Visa party. Plenty of room, plenty of car parking, etc. But the powers that be chose ones that were paying sponsors. fair enough too, but none of them had any car parks....Not great logistics for a big do...

Sad but true.

How to put this politely?....If losing your favorite bar leaves you that much at a loss, it's possible you are in a bit of a rut. There are so many bars in Chiang Mai that a thorough pub crawl would kill a man many times over. Find a good guide and do some exploring. Granted most places won't be to your taste, but you may find some that are surprisingly appealing. A Thai friend showed me a 99 baht all-you-can-drink beer buffet that was only a three minute walk from the entrance to my condo. Another friend told me the Monkey Club has a similar buffet on Monday through Thursday (I haven't checked that one out yet). It's good to have Thai friends.

As far as a place that all, or most, TV member agree is a wonderful hangout, I doubt if such a place ever has or will exist. I don't think the Church Social crowd would approve of my beer buffet.

• Like 2

The Pub, the first and will probably be the last. And as said years ago (but nobody listened) a great venue for a Thai Visa party. Plenty of room, plenty of car parking, etc. But the powers that be chose ones that were paying sponsors. fair enough too, but none of them had any car parks....Not great logistics for a big do...

As far as I know, TV parties are held at sponsors bars, and nowhere else.