Newly reshuffled Cabinet determined to rid Thailand of corruption

webfact

It must be Monday.
Monday - Anti-corrption drive.
Tuesday - Crackdown on ________.
Wednesday - Thailand, the hub of __________.
Thursday - Update on what Thaksin thinks.
Friday - Gambling den busted. No arrests made.
There it is. The Thai media cycle.

And on the eighth day 50 rangers suround a house in the South where insurgents are hiding after a 3 hour gun battle one pistol is found and everyone of them escapes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am new to the country, only arrived 3 weeks ago but read the papers, and never heard there was corruption in Thailand. It seems most unlikely in a country where a Deputy Prime Minister, who started his career as a policemen, rising to the rank of pol. capt. is paid well enough to drive pink Bentleys (plural intended). Or am I missing something?

You have a lot to learn

I am new to the country, only arrived 3 weeks ago but read the papers, and never heard there was corruption in Thailand. It seems most unlikely in a country where a Deputy Prime Minister, who started his career as a policemen, rising to the rank of pol. capt. is paid well enough to drive pink Bentleys (plural intended). Or am I missing something?

You have a lot to learn

Yes as it's one pink Bentley & one mauve Rolls Royce. But that's only half the story.

Newly reshuffled Cabinet determined to rid Thailand of ARE corruption

BANGKOK, 1 July 2013 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will announce her Governments commitment on corruption suppression after the first meeting of the newly reshuffled Cabinet at Government House tomorrow.

Prime Ministers Office Spokesperson Theerat Rattanasewee stated that Ms. Yingluck is confident that all Cabinet members are now compatible with their new portfolios.

He cited the Prime Minister as saying that everyone of them is determined to stamp out corruption and that the reshuffle was meant to reinforce an image of Thailand to the global community as a country with a lower level of corruption.

The Spokesperson further stated that Ms. Yingluck would like to see public participation in the fight against graft and corruption.

He encouraged Thais to report such practices via Hotline 1206 or leave a message at www.stopcorruption.go.th.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-07-01 footer_n.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The world is watching and reading,.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

BORN YESTERDAY EXTREME

April Fools day ?? coffee1.gif

Aside from the absurdly over the top and ugly nature of your comment, it reflects an important and too widely accepted fallacy:

Corruption is systemic and virtually universal. It is not even CLOSE to accurate to say that it exists entirely or even primarily among "Feudal Thai high-so politicians"; moreover the root of the problem is a socio-cultural one and if you took away the top level of the social hierarchy (or even the top few levels) those that rose to replace them would be just as corrupt. Indeed if you took the very lowest tier of society and magically put them at the top, they'd be no less corrupt.

So your basic believe is that out of 66,000,000 people 66,000,000 of them are corrupt.

Sorry, I don't know how to say this without being offensive but I am totally sincere - it's not me simply trying to put you down: I can't tell if you are deliberately distorting what I said in order to attempt to make me look bad or if you are honestly that simplistic and lacking in the ability to comprehend what I actually said.

Read it again, and see if you can work it out. If you then still think my basic "believe" (sic) is as you described, I'll attempt to explain it to you.

"Indeed if you took the very lowest tier of society and magically put them at the top, they'd be no less corrupt."

your words not mine

Obviously someone in the new cabinet has seen or heard about the British comedy series "Yes, Minister". The very first episode "Open Government" in February 1980 started with Sir Humphrey explaining

"that we are calling the White Paper Open Government because you always dispose of the difficult bit in the title. It does less harm there than on the statute books.
It is the law of Inverse Relevance: the less you intend to do about something, the more you have to keep talking about it."

You really couldn't make this BS up, but Yingluck seems to be totally oblivious to the fact that she is the puppet of a convicted criminal, and her party is full of politicians with a long history of corruption. The place never ceases to amaze me. Hilarious.

Every government goes through this farce and I bet even they don't believe it, why should they as they are probably all in it up to their necks.

Yet again a government is going against the wishes of the people, don't opinion polls show the average Thai thinks corruption is ok just as long as they are getting something from it ?

Aside from the absurdly over the top and ugly nature of your comment, it reflects an important and too widely accepted fallacy:

Corruption is systemic and virtually universal. It is not even CLOSE to accurate to say that it exists entirely or even primarily among "Feudal Thai high-so politicians"; moreover the root of the problem is a socio-cultural one and if you took away the top level of the social hierarchy (or even the top few levels) those that rose to replace them would be just as corrupt. Indeed if you took the very lowest tier of society and magically put them at the top, they'd be no less corrupt.

So your basic believe is that out of 66,000,000 people 66,000,000 of them are corrupt.

Sorry, I don't know how to say this without being offensive but I am totally sincere - it's not me simply trying to put you down: I can't tell if you are deliberately distorting what I said in order to attempt to make me look bad or if you are honestly that simplistic and lacking in the ability to comprehend what I actually said.

Read it again, and see if you can work it out. If you then still think my basic "believe" (sic) is as you described, I'll attempt to explain it to you.

"Indeed if you took the very lowest tier of society and magically put them at the top, they'd be no less corrupt."

your words not mine

Yes, my word, not yours. What an oddly obvious and useless thing to point out.

So I take it you still don't get it. OK. Maybe after some coffee I can try to help...

Promises...promises.

I've heard this song before.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice (or dozens of time), shame on me.

Unfortunately, they seem to still be fooling most of the people most of the time . . .