Natural Ventilation and Bio-architecture: Baan Dumneon, holiday home in Thailand

Morakot

Baan Dumneon, holiday home in Thailand

19-06-2013 floornature.com

02_magla_baan-dumneon_minisx.jpg

On the basis of the principles of bioarchitecture, Methus Srisuchart and Ginggal Metchanun have built a holiday home in the Damnoen Saduak district near Bangkok, which they entered in the Next Landmark international architecture contest organized by Floornature. The building’s orientation, use of local materials and the flexibility of the walls permitting natural ventilation are the principles underlining the design of the project, with its form inspired by traditional Thai homes.

http://www.floornature.com/projects-housing/project-baan-dumneon-holiday-home-in-thailand-8647

a big [not so] natural help to obtain and maintain a pleasant indoor environment, when ambient temperatures rise above 30ºC, would be the installation of airconditioning.

wink.png

• Like 2

Solid concrete walls is the way to go for a naturally ventilated home. The following link is a good source of info for a non-air conditioned home. Possibly even Naam could be somewhat comfortable, part of year, in a home like this?

http://terra-pacific.com/?page_id=1083

when i read "concrete thermal mass helps cooling the home" and that in context with "homes in the tropics" i feel like

bah.gifkotz.gifsick.gif

1. The following link is a good source of info for a non-air conditioned home.

2. Possibly even Naam could be somewhat comfortable, part of year, in a home like this?

1. the link leads to a company located in Hawaii which has a rather moderate climate with ambient temperatures never reaching really high tropical temperatures as we face in Thailand. add to this the rather steep drop to minimum temperatures and placing the home at an elevation exceeding 500m above sea level the room temperatures might suit people who can't afford airconditioning.

but whatever, the claim "concrete thermal mass helps cooling the home" is an oxymoron which rapes the laws of physics in an utmost pervert way! dry.png

2. no! Naam (who spend several times a week on Hawaiian islands) wouldn't find the average relative humidity in Hawaii comfortable and would insist on airconditioning instead of ventilation.

Hilarious some of the discussions... biggrin.png excellent link Mr Doglover!

I fully agree 'concrete thermal mass helps cooling the home' especially when the concrete is placed in a fridge prior to cooling the home. blink.png As to whether there is generally a reverse proportionality in relation to the hight of dwelling above sea level to wealth needs to be seen. Anecdotal evidence from Hong Kong for example suggest the exact opposite. whistling.gif

Edited by Morakot

How do you rate, in a tropical climate such as Thailand, the cooling thermal effects of a concrete slab on ground which is shaded from direct sunlight?

the indoors of a house on a concrete slab is much hotter than a house on stilts. this is what some ignorants in Thailand believe.

reason: they possess a wealth of "no idea" tongue.png

How do you rate, in a tropical climate such as Thailand, the cooling thermal effects of a concrete slab on ground which is shaded from direct sunlight?

the indoors of a house on a concrete slab is much hotter than a house on stilts. this is what some ignorants in Thailand believe.

Sooo ... are you agreeing that a shaded slab has a cooling effect?

Or a house in stilts with the air circulation is cooler and a slab on ground is actually hotter?

Yes and no, I'd say.

On stilts it would be much hotter during the day as the temperature rises and cooler at night when it falls. On a slab it would be more constant without so much the either positive or negative spikes. thumbsup.gif

Or a house in stilts with the air circulation is cooler and a slab on ground is actually hotter?

I sum,

Exposed slab: constantly high heat release over 24hs

Shaded slab: constantly low heat release over 24hs

On stilts, day time: higher ambient temperature

On stilts, night time: lower ambient temperature

Shading and vegetation at surrounding stilt area might only have a minimal to moderate effect in compensating for the daytime increase.

i'm not sure what you mean by "shaded" slab because a slab is always shaded by the home placed on it. but yes, i agree that the interior of a house placed on a slab is cooler than a house on stilts. but i wouldn't call that a "cooling effect due to its thermal mass". the positive effect is mainly due to the fact that the slab is not heated up by ambient heat.

• Like 1

I sum,

Shading and vegetation at surrounding stilt area might only have a minimal to moderate effect in compensating for the daytime increase.

again my question "vhat der héll is an ekspowsed slab?" huh.png schow sum mursy und do not let me die stoopid ermm.gif

2. Possibly even Naam could be somewhat comfortable, part of year, in a home like this?

1. the link leads to a company located in Hawaii which has a rather moderate climate with ambient temperatures never reaching really high tropical temperatures as we face in Thailand. add to this the rather steep drop to minimum temperatures and placing the home at an elevation exceeding 500m above sea level the room temperatures might suit people who can't afford airconditioning.

but whatever, the claim "concrete thermal mass helps cooling the home" is an oxymoron which rapes the laws of physics in an utmost pervert way! dry.png

2. no! Naam (who spend several times a week on Hawaiian islands) wouldn't find the average relative humidity in Hawaii comfortable and would insist on airconditioning instead of ventilation.

It is obvious that anyone who could afford the home in the link I provided would have no problems affording air conditioning. But some people (even affluent ones) prefer fresh air over manufactured air.

In our (unaffluent) home we have dual exterior walls built from concrete block which provide greater comfort during most of the day, relative to ambient temperature, without air conditioning. So I am thinking solid concrete walls would extend this comfort longer, even in Thailand.

But it turns out the only option is aerated autoclaved concrete block, ceiling insulation, dual pane windows and big air conditioners.

(Of course us poor folk could just throw up a rice straw roof over an existing concrete slab)

2. Possibly even Naam could be somewhat comfortable, part of year, in a home like this?

but whatever, the claim "concrete thermal mass helps cooling the home" is an oxymoron which rapes the laws of physics in an utmost pervert way! Posted Image  

It is obvious that anyone who could afford the home in the link I provided would have no problems affording air conditioning. But some people (even affluent ones) prefer fresh air over manufactured air.

In our (unaffluent) home we have dual exterior walls built from concrete block which provide greater comfort during most of the day, relative to ambient temperature, without air conditioning. So I am thinking solid concrete walls would extend this comfort longer, even in Thailand.

But it turns out the only option is aerated autoclaved concrete block, ceiling insulation, dual pane windows and big air conditioners.

(Of course us poor folk could just throw up a rice straw roof over an existing concrete slab)

Cavity walls would beat solid concrete walls hands down in terms of effective insulation. And don't forget it may take a long time for a dense wall, ie, concrete to heat up but for the same reason it also takes a long time to cool down.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the reason why you achieve more comfort is not the combined mass of the dual walls but the insulating aircushion between the two walls. most probably the concrete blocks used have cavities too which provide additional insulation.

Concrete%20hollow%20block.jpg

• Like 1

again my question "vhat der héll is an ekspowsed slab?" huh.png schow sum mursy und do not let me die stoopid ermm.gif

We hope you'll be staying with us for some time... wai.gif

For the time being, check out the lovely pictures of some exposed concrete slabs, where a substantial part of it is exposed. Picture number 3 is actually quite OK; it seem to avoid the classic faux by minimising exposed concrete part and through some kind of thermal barrier between the main slab and the exposed part.

post-155923-0-86827900-1373176303_thumb.

post-155923-0-29422000-1373176627_thumb.

post-155923-0-56582200-1373176647_thumb.

Double brick/block with an air gap will be substantially cooler than solid concrete, no matter whether they're 0.7 Baht red bricks, 3 baht blocks, or 23 Baht AAC's.

We hope you'll be staying with us for some time... wai.gif

For the time being, check out the lovely pictures of some exposed concrete slabs, where a substantial part of it is exposed. Picture number 3 is actually quite OK; it seem to avoid the classic faux by minimising exposed concrete part and through some kind of thermal barrier between the main slab and the exposed part.

Not quite sure what the question is here, but of course any slab exposed to direct sunlight is going to get hot, and if close enough to the house will radiate more heat towards it.

Being ground slabs they won't get as cool as air temps when they drop below ground temp either..

The biggest problem I see in all your example pics is a lack of shade though. Mature trees are pretty cheap, and very effective wink.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I sum,

OK ... I know that this example isn't from Thailand .. but you might understand my drift.

512b.jpg

So, the 'exposed slab' refers to that part of the slab 'exposed to the sun.

So, in Thailand, while the summer and winter sun angles are much less pronounced, they do exist.

So, be effectively 'shading' the slab, it doesn't receive any sunlight, hence any direct heat which I might re-radiate later, after the sun has passed.

My use of the term 'thermal mass' when referring to the concrete slab on ground is inncorrect ... I should have used the term 'thermal sink' which more succulently describes the heat transfer from the hotter ambient temperate to that of the cooler ground underneath.

• Like 1

OK ... I know that this example isn't from Thailand .. but you might understand my drift.

512b.jpg

So, in Thailand, while the summer and winter sun angles are much less pronounced, they do exist.

So, be effectively 'shading' the slab, it doesn't receive any sunlight, hence any direct heat which I might re-radiate later, after the sun has passed.

My use of the term 'thermal mass' when referring to the concrete slab on ground is inncorrect ... I should have used the term 'thermal sink' which more succulently describes the heat transfer from the hotter ambient temperate to that of the cooler ground underneath.

Thanks David! This is a useful example. It's reversed trying to maximise the solar gain during the winter (colder time).

In the Thailand I guess you want to minimise it throughout the year. Unless you live in Chaing Rai in the mountains somewhere.

David,

the sketch and it's legend is a scientific presentation so overwhelming that it leaves me speechless and humbled. that's why i refrain to add my stupid layman's comments. my doctorate in physics might come in handy judging the application of phrik nam pla on a Wiener Schnitzel but it's surely not a qualification which enables me to comment on solar exposed or shaded slabs.

wink.png

joke aside...

actually both expressions using the attribute "thermal" are correct. it iz bekaus vee "physicalists" do not differentchiate between hot and kold but konsider ze thermal status of any medium as heat even vhen vee diskuss temperatchures at ze absolute (known) zero of -273.15°Celsius (0ºKelvin).

important is to know that the concrete slab of a house works as a "heat sink" which helps to keep a house cooler in tropical ambient temperatures as opposed to the fairy tales about stilted houses circulating in Thailand.

• Like 1

Double brick/block with an air gap will be substantially cooler than solid concrete, no matter whether they're 0.7 Baht red bricks, 3 baht blocks, or 23 Baht AAC's.

Ok. I repent.

Brilliant job on planning the design of your house BTW. Obviously not your first one in Thailand.

important is to know that the concrete slab of a house works as a "heat sink" which helps to keep a house cooler in tropical ambient temperatures as opposed to the fairy tales about stilted houses circulating in Thailand.

Indeed. But, as you, know most affluent homes have the slab poured on top of raised cross beams and there is an open cavity between the slab and the ground. Pipes are run inside these cavities to spray termite killing chemicals throughout the cavity. The heat sinking capacity of this set up is greatly reduced over the way villagers pour their slabs directly on the ground.

Edited by doglover

Does anyone know the temperature of the ground in Thailand, say 1 meter down. I have seen, not here in Thailand, where they run large pipes underground on the property and bring cool air into the house by convection. My guess is that it would be around 29C.

512b.jpg

Thanks David! This is a useful example. It's reversed trying to maximise the solar gain during the winter (colder time).

In the Thailand I guess you want to minimise it throughout the year. Unless you live in Chaing Rai in the mountains somewhere.

In Thai land it's pretty simple - you just want perpetual shade :)