Dhanin tops Thailand's richest list

webfact

I wonder if enterprising business journalist would study the figures for all of the businesses in this top ten to find out what the actual declared onshore profit is of their companies, versus claimed total profitability.

You think they leave the majority of the profit in Thailand?

That would be tantamount to career suicide, and interesting there is one or two glaring admissions from this list, but I guess that is not possible to discuss.

I think you may be sadly mistaken. Agribusiness exports are largely transfer priced out of the country. The unwritten rule, is that you MUST NOT SELL OUT TO FOREIGNERS.

No, I think you misunderstood - it would be career suicide for a journalist to go digging around and writing about it. I agee on all of what you have said. Still there are a couple of "missing" people on that list.

The 7 deadly sins

Pride

Envy

Gluttony

Anger

Lust

Sloth

Greed

All requirements, in different measures, to make it onto a top ten richest list

You sound very envious. Do you know them personally? If not. It's just BS and envy that's coming out.

Gluttony has been taken off the sin list and I don't know what has replaced it. Maybe its foolishness?

I wonder if enterprising business journalist would study the figures for all of the businesses in this top ten to find out what the actual declared onshore profit is of their companies, versus claimed total profitability.

You think they leave the majority of the profit in Thailand?

That would be tantamount to career suicide, and interesting there is one or two glaring admissions from this list, but I guess that is not possible to discuss.

I think you may be sadly mistaken. Agribusiness exports are largely transfer priced out of the country. The unwritten rule, is that you MUST NOT SELL OUT TO FOREIGNERS.

No, I think you misunderstood - it would be career suicide for a journalist to go digging around and writing about it. I agee on all of what you have said. Still there are a couple of "missing" people on that list.

Ah I see. Well. There was a time that affording these companies protection by not allowing foreign competition in, may have been justified.

But today, it's time for more competition in Thailand.

And meanwhile, they still haven't managed to come up with a profitable model for farmers, who would no doubt love to be able to sell directly to foreign companies and keep all of the middle men out of the process, continue to get sc*****d. To have an agribusiness tycoon on the top of the pile, whilst farmers continue to live hand to mouth, shouldn't really be something anyone should be that proud of.

I believe the CP model of farming is actually high tech and uses min Labour, as such the 'farmers' are high end to and make a decent living. I know a guy who has set up such a high tech farm and sells to CP, he is happy w the returns.

I think u are muddling a generic farmers lot with CP and I am positive CP would never buy chickens from Somchai, the village farmer, as SARS or other issues would wipe of their international sales over night in a open farming model

And meanwhile, they still haven't managed to come up with a profitable model for farmers, who would no doubt love to be able to sell directly to foreign companies and keep all of the middle men out of the process, continue to get sc*****d. To have an agribusiness tycoon on the top of the pile, whilst farmers continue to live hand to mouth, shouldn't really be something anyone should be that proud of.

I believe the CP model of farming is actually high tech and uses min Labour, as such the 'farmers' are high end to and make a decent living. I know a guy who has set up such a high tech farm and sells to CP, he is happy w the returns.

I think u are muddling a generic farmers lot with CP and I am positive CP would never buy chickens from Somchai, the village farmer, as SARS or other issues would wipe of their international sales over night in a open farming model

They are in just about every food stuff market you can think of. They face almost no serious competition. Some are very happy with the returns, likewise, I have heard plenty of people moaning about the deal they get. Just look on Thaivisa. It can get quite heated in some of the discussions. The farmers supplying CP are just a tiny part of their intergrated vertical chain. They control absolutely every step below and above, and you step into the middle like a production franchise, and can very easily get squeezed on both ends.

The 7 deadly sins

Pride

Envy

Gluttony

Anger

Lust

Sloth

Greed

You sound very envious. Do you know them personally? If not. It's just BS and envy that's coming out.

How do you know that I'm not one of those on the top ten list and am speaking from experience/? Or are you just trying to make a predictable wise crack?? Those who mention envy must be envious themseleves

Edited by jonclark

The 7 deadly sins

Pride

Envy

Gluttony

Anger

Lust

Sloth

Greed

In any country.

All requirements?

Not all are real sins when it comes to make money...

Pride...

Yes, sure. The pride of having achieving something. The pride of belonging to the top ranks. Nothing wrong with that. It's a driver to make it to the top indeed.

Envy...

Yeah, must be some of it too. It hurts to see that the competitor's jet is bigger.

Gluttony...

Grow through acquisitions? Yes, of course. In that case gluttony helps to make it to the top. Much quicker.

Anger...

It can surely help to make it to the top of the list. Business is no game. Competition must be defeated.

Lust...

Lust? To make it onto the top 10 richest?

Sloth...

Uh? That refers to laziness, right? Not sure a lazy person can make it to the top of the list.

Greed...

Uhm, yes, a bit might be needed to make it to the top, indeed.

But these seven deadly sins come from the Christian principles.

It might not apply to the Asian top 10 richest. :)

Sent from my iPhone...

The 7 deadly sins

Pride

Envy

Gluttony

Anger

Lust

Sloth

Greed

How do you know that I'm not one of those on the top ten list and am speaking from experience/? Or are you just trying to make a predictable wise crack?? Those who mention envy must be envious themseleves

Funny guy, keep dreaming.

• Like 1

Poor Thaksin, only #10. Bet that hurts.

#10 with around 50 billion baht... Enough to tickle the nerves of many
Where are you on the list Gerry?

I am not Thai smile.png

OK, you're not a Thai but since you seem to admire Thaksin for the money he owns, please tell us if you earned your money in a similar way as the man from afar.

Edited by jbrain

Maybe we should have a similar annual listing of 10 richest TV members?

I hope you don't mean these corrupt foreigners who try to bribe the police each time they are stopped on their motorbike.

Lets keep the ranking to respectable people then :)

Sent from my iPhone...

Poor Thaksin, only #10. Bet that hurts.
#10 with around 50 billion baht... Enough to tickle the nerves of many

Where are you on the list Gerry?

I am not Thai Posted Image

OK, you're not a Thai but since you seem to admire Thaksin for the money he owns, please tell us if you earned your money in a similar way as the man from afar.

Your assumptions are only yours jbrain. Why would I admire anyone for the money he owns?

I do have respect for Thaksin for what he achieved though (and probably another reason too).

The phrase above will boost this thread for sure :)

But I do respect other successful people who are found on "the other side" too. I am not exclusive, be reassured :)

When it come to my own humble saving account, ... it is a bit personal. I am sure you will understand.

Sent from my iPhone...

Kind of disappointing to see so many negative people dwelling on other peoples success. Does every billionaire have to have made his money in a corrupt or dishonest way? Most billionaires work their butts off to get where they are. They have business savvy, they take advantage of tax structures that are mostly dead set on taking as much as is possible and yes they have connections and a network which helps. That does not mean all are greedy and dishonest. Most of the comments here have little basis in fact and are just conjecture. Seems like mostly sour-grapes from the posters here. Nothing new for TV members.

• Like 1

Kind of disappointing to see so many negative people dwelling on other peoples success. Does every billionaire have to have made his money in a corrupt or dishonest way? Most billionaires work their butts off to get where they are. They have business savvy, they take advantage of tax structures that are mostly dead set on taking as much as is possible and yes they have connections and a network which helps. That does not mean all are greedy and dishonest. Most of the comments here have little basis in fact and are just conjecture. Seems like mostly sour-grapes from the posters here. Nothing new for TV members.

Be careful Trouble... You will end up into trouble with all the sour grapes on your back whistling.gif

You should not be so direct.

You are totally right though... thumbsup.gif

Be careful Trouble... You will end up into trouble with all the sour grapes on your back whistling.gif

You should not be so direct.

You are totally right though... thumbsup.gif

I would instantly question the "most billionaires work their butt off".

Every market has its foibles and some more competition than others. A lot of billionaires face a lot more hurdles than others.

As I climbed the corporate ladder I found that the higher I got the more corrupt were the people around me. Peole taking home 10 times the average wage were fiddling more and more on expenses. We have seen exposed the unsavoury characters who infest the UK parliament - and all that reached the public view was just scratching the surface. I have no doubt that they were amateurs compared to the US scene, not forgetting Italy of course. Power corrupts for sure.

Well sounds like a bunch of sour pusses making comments. You think being successful at their level was easy and all just about being criminal? They played the same game eveyone else had the opportunity to play. They just played it better. To manage an orginanization the size that these people control and some built, itself is a feat that few can manager or perform. No matter how all feel about these men, they have created more jobs than all of us on this site have created. These men have created industries that have led to benefits for the whole of Thailand. Who do you think pushes the govt to pave roads and other infrastructure so these people can expand their businesses? The benefits these business have brought to all is not so easily identified regardless of their moral believes and actions. No one is a saint. As much as some people hate Thaksin he still had great ideas for Thailand but he was just too corrupt. If he had stayed pure in belief to his country his ideas for Thialand were far better than any have put forth to date. In theory he was against the centralized weathy of Bangkok who you guys on here are hammering!!!! I am no way a supporter of Thaksan and hope he never gets back in power nor has any influence over thsi great nation, I know he does but wish for better. Just be open and find goodness in all things. No one is all bad as no one is all good.

• Like 1

Well sounds like a bunch of sour pusses making comments. You think being successful at their level was easy and all just about being criminal? They played the same game eveyone else had the opportunity to play. They just played it better. To manage an orginanization the size that these people control and some built, itself is a feat that few can manager or perform. No matter how all feel about these men, they have created more jobs than all of us on this site have created. These men have created industries that have led to benefits for the whole of Thailand. Who do you think pushes the govt to pave roads and other infrastructure so these people can expand their businesses? The benefits these business have brought to all is not so easily identified regardless of their moral believes and actions. No one is a saint. As much as some people hate Thaksin he still had great ideas for Thailand but he was just too corrupt. If he had stayed pure in belief to his country his ideas for Thialand were far better than any have put forth to date. In theory he was against the centralized weathy of Bangkok who you guys on here are hammering!!!! I am no way a supporter of Thaksan and hope he never gets back in power nor has any influence over thsi great nation, I know he does but wish for better. Just be open and find goodness in all things. No one is all bad as no one is all good.

Agreed. When I was studying, had enough spare cash for about 2 cups of tea in the school canteen a week. Guys I know who dropped out were making fun of me, no money, and they were 'living it up', and some of the chicks got prego before they could even afford a kid. Have 2 cuz (who i stay clear of ) in oz who live off welfare even though fully able to work, just scam the system.

Heard a podcast today on Big Idea's, radio Australia, about whether the rich should pay more tax...... I am not rich, but definitely live a good life, pay plenty of tax already..... So the question is, don't the more affluent contribute enough to those levels of society , many of who lived it up, could not be bothered to study ?

Real disabled people, orphans, disadvantaged kids, we should support , but those 'disadvantaged' should work or not eat it u ask me.

You get out of life what you put into it.

• Like 1

Every dollar honestly earned, no doubt. I am sure the rice farmers are benefiting from the gazillions sitting in these bank accounts.

What's the point of having all that money?

If I had it, I'd give most away to worthy causes.

It's easy to say that when you don't have it. Would be better if you made the effort to make big money, give it away, and then tell us about it. But how do you expect these people to give it away. The money is mostly tied up in the companies they run. What do you suggest, that they sell it to another rich person, and then give away the proceeds. But then you'd be complaining that the rich person that bought it should give it away. Why don't you sell your property and give the money away. Just like many, you don't bother thinking through what you're saying, and don't even understand how the business world works. Are you really so naive as to think that these guys have 12 billion deposited at their local bank?

Amazed at how many jealous people there are on here. You all had your chance but blew out.

Kudos to those that won the game.

Edited by davejones

Every dollar honestly earned, no doubt. I am sure the rice farmers are benefiting from the gazillions sitting in these bank accounts.

There were poor rice farmers in Thailand long before these companies and individuals existed. They didn't go into business to help rice farmers, so I don't see the point you're making. Does your business/work help rice farmers? If not, why not?

Fascinating all the "Thai's are only successful because they keep out Farangs" yet there is William Heinecke in at No 20 with Billion $'s.

I do think not many Thai companies have competed very successfully overseas, but CP group is doing a good job.

I am surprised that the SAMART family isn't higher.

Also Thaksin, love him or hate him as a politician, did build a very successful business empire that is still today with new owners for most of it, very well run.

Edited by CTO

Fascinating all the "Thai's are only successful because they keep out Farangs" yet there is William Heinecke in at No 20 with Billion $'s.

I do think not many Thai companies have competed very successfully overseas, but CP group is doing a good job.

I am surprised that the SAMART family isn't higher.

Also Thaksin, love him or hate him as a politician, did build a very successful business empire that is still today with new owners for most of it, very well run.

He gave up USA citizenship and took Thai years ago.