Maps and Thais

Boxter

Hey what is it with Thais and maps/directions? My experience so far has shown me that Thais at all levels have very under-developed spacial awareness. Is this a product of their schooling or does it run deeper than this? I have not been in Thailand long (7 years) but it seems there are some major fundamental gaps in their thinking process. I wonder if this is intentional from the policy makers?

OP, if you're wondering why you haven't received any responses yet, it's probably because this topic was discussed very recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650201-why-cant-thais-givefollow-travel-directions/

buy a sat nav system not that expensive anymore these days even in Thailand ,no need to sulk about the Thai educational system.

You do know how to travel to Thailand so i assume you know how to go to a shop and buy a sat nav system .

Even possible to download apps on i-phone and i-pads with Thailand maps ,how hard can it be.

OP, if you're wondering why you haven't received any responses yet, it's probably because this topic was discussed very recently. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650201-why-cant-thais-givefollow-travel-directions/

That could have been a lifesaving comment from you !!

You think? Step away from the ledge, OP. It's all gonna be ok.

Lets hope you were not to late with your comment !

• Like 1

OP, if you're wondering why you haven't received any responses yet, it's probably because this topic was discussed very recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650201-why-cant-thais-givefollow-travel-directions/

buy a sat nav system not that expensive anymore these days even in Thailand ,no need to sulk about the Thai educational system.

You do know how to travel to Thailand so i assume you know how to go to a shop and buy a sat nav system .

Even possible to download apps on i-phone and i-pads with Thailand maps ,how hard can it be.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. Try reading the OP. Then click the link and read a bit of the discussion if you like.

Yes, I know how to travel around Thailand; thanks for your vote of confidence. And don't worry, I'm not sulking about the Thai education system.

Edited by aTomsLife

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. What are you on about? Try reading the OP. Then click the link and read a bit of the discussion if you like.

Yes, I know how to travel around Thailand; thanks for your vote of confidence. And don't worry, I'm not sulking about the Thai education system.

Maybe they cant give you the right directions because most Thai people in the popular tourist areas come from other provinces ,so sat nav apps might direct the op in the right direction.

No pun intended fella.

Edited by Kudel

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. What are you on about? Try reading the OP. Then click the link and read a bit of the discussion if you like.

Maybe they cant give you the right directions because most Thai people in the popular tourist areas come from other provinces ,so sat nav apps might direct the op in the right direction.

No pun intended fella.

I don't care. I wasn't taking up the discussion. Just giving the OP the link from last week's thread, fella.

No pun intended fella.

I don't care. I wasn't taking up the discussion. Just giving the OP the link from last week's thread, fella.

If you want i can give some sat nav coordinates to some temples where you can learn and have some jai yen yen time.Fella.

OP Quote: "My experience so far has shown me that Thais at all levels have very under-developed spacial awareness"

That is not my experience in the past:
- Before GPS time with two fellow university students in the car, we were heading back to their student city room (after a day trip). At dusk we got lost in the middle of nowhere on a muddy road full of pits. Yeah, nice for me to believe that road turn would be a shortcut. We were still about 200km out of their student city destination. Road directions came soon: "try to follow that fast car at 60-80km/h which just passed you, it will take us to a paved road, where we have road signs". I did bumply manage to follow this car for about 20 minutes (but actually way to fast to my liking at dark), till the car turned into a farm house drive-way. Next directions came: "just go straight". Soon we arrived at a paved road. For the next 20-30km they were discussing at every small white cement sign beside the road, which will be the next village to our destination and which way to go on. Finally reached a big road with proper signs to the university city. No problem, we reached final destination with only a little bit additonal travel time, compared to the normal paved road way in the morning to our day trip distance. Pretty good (from their spacial memory), when you understand the students did not even grow up inside their university city limits for 200km. One grew up >200km east and the other grew up >200km west of university city.
- Many years ago, I miscalculated the time of travel to our destination. And finally I asked my friend, who I think he lost the way, to ask directions. I stopped and his reply was: "why you stop at this bum to ask direction, drive on". Happen we were very close to destination. And it was my time travel miscalculation by half hour longer.
- Many years ago, one of my friends could read roadmaps. As long as a good roadmap was provided and showing the roads on paper. We drove 1000's of km together. He was fully aware of directions outside BKK (city limits BKK is a different story). His only comment was: "don't drive speeding past these road sign with only Thai letters, I can't read that fast the Thai road sign. Better if it is in English, I can read English direction signs faster"

However:
- My recent friend rely on GPS & admits he can't read roadmaps that good. He relies too much on GPS directions. Many times I give him and GPS the benefit of the doubt in Thailand, but often it shows I should have rely on my own direction

I travel about 60.000km/yr by car and have seen worse directions by well-devoleped western people than Thai give me. That is my personal experience, because the Thai person is next to me in the car going same direction.

Edited by vreemd13

Thanks for the last thread. I perhaps ought to have been more precise in my first post. So far when I have ASKED for directions pretty much anywhere here my wife (Thai) and I have been totally befuddled to the point of going back to the original direction giver whereby we are still in the same boat. 500m is the same is 5km. If the direction giver is sitting in the car with you then that's a different kettle of fish.

I've learn't in the supermarket to actually get the sales person to take me personally to the place they say the stock is at. Guess what, most of the time it's not there surprise surprise.

I'm not criticising just observing that mostly when myself of my wife ask for directions here, what we get is woefully short of the mark. And not only in Thailand, all over the place.

I drive 164km/day so about the same as you. I have GPS in my car, its okay but only an aid as all GPS devices are. I love paper maps especially topo ones.

Ha ha, or;

Is NOT far.

I got a really good one today from an Englishman. (long time here) "It's on the road to Bangkok" Yeah right. And what really cracked me up was his Thai wife came up to me straight after and said, "yes he right, on road to Bangkok, on the sai..."

So here I am on the side of the road....