Superstar Bar Patpong

Midfield General

Superstar Bar - Patpong
Ive just read an interesting story about this bar. Apparently back in the seventies it was the haunt of CIA Spooks, mercenaries, drug dealers, spies, dreamers and an all round mix of bizarre characters.
One group of drug smugglers used the place as a base to carry out millions of dollars worth of deals from Thailand to USA.

I can honestly say that in the few times i have trawled up and down Patpong ive never noticed it but apparently its still open today.
Anyone ever been to it or any old hands remember it back in the day?

An interesting group of characters indeed back then. Frank, Bob, the twins and all kinds of stories going around about who was up to what. I remember Frank saying hello as I walked by him sitting at a table with another gentleman and then introducing me to Roman Polanski. You never knew who you were going to meet in there. Before that group got hold of it, the bar was called Charlie's Superstar.

Edited by villagefarang

The Superstar was a super place for a long time. It was well managed and did a good business. After the twins got sent to the Big House it lost a little of its edge. Yes the big CIA retired and not retired guys were there a lot and so was I.

• Like 1

If i remember correctly in the eighties there was Superstar 1 & Superstar 2 and i think they were featured in most B grade movies set in Patpong in those years.. Have mot been to Patpong in almost twenty years so i don't know if they are still there.

I remember the first girl I took from Patpong I took to the disco above superstar I remember it was a pretty good place. I also remember when you used to be able to walk to the back of superstar and I believe there was a restaurant there. O still go to superstar for at least one beer when ever I go to Bangkok.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I remember the first girl I took from Patpong I took to the disco above superstar I remember it was a pretty good place. I also remember when you used to be able to walk to the back of superstar and I believe there was a restaurant there. O still go to superstar for at least one beer when ever I go to Bangkok.

Yes, you're right, back in the eighties I used to go there at lunchtime and order food from the restaurant through the back.

Thanks for that I just downloaded the eBook version from Kindle.

George - "Blowback" by Michael Forwell on Kindle too, also a good read. Puts Mr Nice's exploits into perspective.

My dad told me tons of stories about the Superstar. I mean, it was after my time, but did I hear a lot about that place. An uncle of mine told me about the Green Berets called the Colflesh brothers. Heard the book "Reefer Men" has a bunch of stuff about that bar in there.

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

Don't think Randy owned the Goldfinger. He moved to another place where he is full or part owner. He married a girl from the Madrid. Real good guy.

He was the previous owner (for many years). He's since been over at Suhk 23 managing the Craft beer on the corner (opp Clubhouse) for several years.