Trails in Doi Suthep National park closed until further notice.

AnotherOneAmerican

I have just been informed by the senior park official, located in the National Park office at the foot of Doi Suthep, that he has closed all trails in the park to the public until further notice. He explained that the park was closed to public use except in supervised areas (meaning those which charge for admission). His reasons were given that some hikers have removed protected species from the park and others have gone into dangerous areas and been injured. Needing help and evacuation by rangers, whom are too few in number and he has insufficient budget to cover this cost.

If anyone wishes to use the trails they should now submit a written request with full details, in Thai, to him at his office. Consideration would be given to the requests, and a decision forthcoming after about 7 days.

Bad news for hikers.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I just hope this "senior park official" gets sacked soon enough, because this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Anyone who has ever hiked this mountain would know that hikers probably have the least impact on the park. You can hike there for hours and hardly ever meet anyone. The few hikers you do actually meet are quite likely to enjoy nature and therefore unlikely to damage it. Now, I am not sure if I can say the same about the masses of tourists going up Sriwichai Rd., the poachers, gatherers and mushroom hunters, people from the tribal settlements who divert and pollute waterways, and the annual forest burners.

What concerns the purported dangers of trekking, I'd counter that driving any road in Chiang Mai is far more dangerous. If officials would start closing roads, because someone died on it, you can imagine where that would lead to. If they want to make the trails on Doi Suthep safer, how about marking them? It's such a foolish decision, one can only hope that it will be overturned or simply forgotten.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat
  • Like 1

They might be thinking to start charging people from other countries to hike that are accustomed to following rules and regulations. They can claim they are protecting the park.

Could be a decent cash cow ready to be milked.

They might even use those funds to improve the park facilities but I wouldn't bet on that.

Meanwhile locals will break every rule possible and then some.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

They might be thinking to start charging people from other countries to hike that are accustomed to following rules and regulations. They can claim they are protecting the park.

Could be a decent cash cow ready to be milked.

They might even use those funds to improve the park facilities but I wouldn't bet on that.

Meanwhile locals will break every rule possible and then some.

Remember, local residents cannot be charged a foreign price. The law refers to 'tourists' vs 'locals', not 'foreign looking' vs 'Asian'...

That is really too bad because it was one of the things I really enjoyed about staying in Chiang Mai. Maybe I'll have to find another city to live during the Canadian winter. However, first I will apply for a permit and see what happens. I never ran into any officials on those trails when I was there for 6 months, but I met a lot of Thai hikers who often left a mess behind. I always brought a bag to carry out their garbage. I know my elderly friend won't change his ways and he will just go anyway if he can't get a permit.