True Online - rubbish service

Malthus101

Is it just me, or is the service provided by True Online absolute f**king shit?

For the last 3 days it's been dropping out continuously, links have started to re-route to the "homepage" of the router (?) so I've had to delete some - this is $h!T!

No way can I do the study work I'm here to do with this kind of connection.

I'm in the Wattaya area of Bangkok - anyone else getting this drop in service these last few days?

Does not surprise me one bit though...

Hi

Yeah the usual.... turned the router on and off. Disconnected it, reconnected it. Restart the laptop etc.

I cannot be doing with restarting a router all the time. I will be streaming live data, it musn't be broken - and what's with it changing where my favourites go? They route to the True Online page.

Of course, online help chat, useless - I am always number 1 in the queue yet never get served - how very Thai!

Love it - an antiTrue bash. Dropped their rip-off cable TV service years ago, and have now dropped their air card service for my iPad. When I pay for a service, I expect to get it. And I don't like them trying to force me into a service I don't want. It's called consumer's choice, True. Dtac for my iPad, now.

I have the fiber optic high speed service with True and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. Had ToT before and that was awful.

My service is fine in Ladprao, but sometimes it gets stuck and I see the same post four times.

They're bugging me for a copy of a work permit, which, theoretically, I'll have soon. How did some of you get service without one?

I am near Victory Monument and had True Online for a few years till 3 months ago when I switched to 3BB. True was

fine at first but then started the outages earlier this year, every few days. Sometimes it would even be intermittent coming and going every few minutes which was really annoying. They were pretty good about responding to my complaints though but it got to a point where enough was enough. And I found out they never upgraded me to 10Mbps even though I had the 900+ b. service from way back when it was for 6Mbps.

Anyway, I've been with 3BB now without a single problem for months.

Been with True for 3 years. 18 moths on ADSL and then switched to 50MB/5MB Ultra High Speed cable.

For the most part, the service is pretty much bombproof. Occasionally (once every few months) it goes down but always back up in no time.

I think it very much depends upon one's location. I'm in Asoke here

• 4 weeks later...

Currently I am listening to important webinars broadcast from the US - the last 2 days the audio has been cutting out continuously - totally unusable.

True's online help chat is a joke - it always says "you are number 1 in the queue" yet never, ever, has anyone picked it up.

There is also no telephone number I can find to call.

Omnovia, the webinar hosts, say they did a ping test on me and it came back as 260 Kbs. I have a 10 Meg service with True.

There are a lot of people in the webinar (over 1,000) but very few are complaining about dropping audio/video/delayed chat by 2 minutes.

It must be to do with the international bandwidth - is there anyone here who truly understands this stuff? How do I test the international bandwidth I am getting? (Thailand is getting?)

Is that something that True can increase or is it set by government?

If I went to 3BB would it be better?

Would a cable or fiber optic service be better?

What's the penalty for tearing up my contract with True?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

And if I tell them it's because their service is poor, then what? I'm not paying them a penny, I'll just chuck their router in the bin.

Managed to find their call center number online.

Spoke to a few tards before someone could speak English. Explained the problem. He just sounded confused. Said their own system for running checks was currently down and he would call me within 2 hours.

No phonecall.

But all this morning, I am getting some phonecall disturbing my sleep. I finally answer. Some woman from True. "Hello, yes the engineers have come but you're not answering your door?"

? - never booked engineers to come.

About 3 hours later when I'm busy, 2 engineers just turn up unannounced.

They speak no English and are like Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

One has a micro-filter in his hand - he manages to ask me where the telephone is. "I don't have or use a landline".

"Oh...." so he unplugs the ethernet from the wall, looks at it. Then from the router, looks at it. Tries to stuff it into the micro-filter, but it's the wrong shape.

"Uh....." then talks to me in fluent Thai as he just hopes I will understand. "Sorry, I don't speak Thai yet" I tell him and show them out.

After I close the door I hear them falling over themselves, giggling with schoolboy laughter (one was mid-forties)

Tonight - audio still cutting out of my webinar every 2 seconds - little flash symbol just spinning round and round on my screen.

Problem not fixed one iota.

Thais really are retards aren't they when it comes to this sort of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

2 MONTHS LATER - PROBLEM STILL NOT FIXED

Currently getting speeds of around 88Kbps download speed with international servers (US) during prime times.

Yes, that is Kbps, not Mbps.

88Kbps - I believe the fastest old modem you can get is 56Kbps.

PATHETIC.

Had a True technician around the other day - said the line was noisy and fixed it.

I now get 10Mbps LOCAL speed. (I have a 10Mbps service)

But True just told me (again) that they do not guarantee international speeds.

When I asked the woman if she thought 88Kbps was reasonable, she just said, "as you know, we don't guarantee international speeds"

I told her, this is a joke and she needs to guarantee me a better speed internationally. She literally laughed out loud and said, "No.... not for the service you have"

These people are utterly, utterly inept, disorganized and unprofessional.

AVOID TRUE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

2 MONTHS LATER - PROBLEM STILL NOT FIXED

Currently getting speeds of around 88Kbps download speed with international servers (US) during prime times.

Yes, that is Kbps, not Mbps.

88Kbps - I believe the fastest old modem you can get is 56Kbps.

PATHETIC.

Had a True technician around the other day - said the line was noisy and fixed it.

I now get 10Mbps LOCAL speed. (I have a 10Mbps service)

But True just told me (again) that they do not guarantee international speeds.

When I asked the woman if she thought 88Kbps was reasonable, she just said, "as you know, we don't guarantee international speeds"

I told her, this is a joke and she needs to guarantee me a better speed internationally. She literally laughed out loud and said, "No.... not for the service you have"

These people are utterly, utterly inept, disorganized and unprofessional.

AVOID TRUE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

What time of day are you getting these international speeds?

If it's late afternoon 'til about midnight, those are peak hours and True throttles everyone's speed but still, 88kbps is taking the piss.

Anyway, back when I had ADSL from True, there was always some sort of noise on the line and mickey mouse excuses from customer service so I found a pretty nifty modem tool called DMT. It worked for me, maybe it'll help you

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm

Very in depth but I didn't bother with all the tech-babble. I just downloaded the software, booted it up and followed the instructions.

Both speed and stability of my ADSL improved markedly.

Good luck

I'm no expert but I had a similar problem when trying to use a UK VPN to watch the BBC iPlayer service to download TV shows.

When I did the speed test it was very slow using this VPN. Without the VPN it was much quicker. I did some research and discovered that there are bottlenecks in Internet traffic between countries and even if you have a fast Internet connection, it's only as quick as the weakest link, eg undersea cables. Between Thailand and Europe there is apparently a weak link. Perhaps it could be the same for the US.

I guess this would not necessarily be True's fault. But I agree they are rubbish. My connection in Asok has been dropping out a lot recently.

Perhaps you could try an air card though and see if that's better? Or if you can switch to cable Internet try that as others have suggested.

im laughing my ass of at the OP, new to thailand, probably in some budget apartment building on the cheapest internet package the company offers and served by retards.

BTW i have been on true for years both adsl and cable and except for one period of about a month on Docsis where they were having hardware issues and were sending out a technician (retard acc OP) or calling to ask me about line quality and speed service has been very good.

I get about 8 or 9 mbps on a single thread international, my voip quality is better than my mobile and my 30/3 mbps connection will do bursting to 50 mbps while multi threaded downloading or torrenting.

youtube hulu, netflix and all that, no problem, though bbc can be spotty. Occasionally encounter routing issues, but easily corrected with a vpn

I also find it odd to complain about poor service when they dispatched technicians you found inconvenient.

Welcome to thailand Malthus, i hop its everything you dreamed it would be

I have a Billion router actually, it's just what they gave me.

They just go round in circles, having me repeat the same speed tests which actually give my 10Meg service but who the hell needs 10 Megs locally?

Even 1Meg international would probably be enough to get a steady connection with the US but 88-288 Kbps?

As someone said, that is taking the piss - then the little weasels hide behind the "we don't guarantee international speeds" - such feeble little wimps!

Anyone know any other Asian countries that have proper international speeds?

Coz there is no point me staying in Bangkok if all they can give is 88Kbps - total nonsense.

I don't see how a cable service would improve anything? It still has to connect with the same international routes out of the country surely?

A graphic illustration of how much True SUCK:

post-173861-0-83530900-1378906053_thumb.

Edited by Malthus101

Hello,

I'm disgusted with True Online too! So Who's their main competitor?

I would think it is TOT.

But I wouldn't go near TOT with a barge pole. We were getting absolutely zero service for 2 weeks so the Mrs phoned up to complain. She was transfered from one person to the next, to the next, told to hold the line and after a few minutes hold was hung up on. This happened every time she called.

This 'service' caused us to move to Ture fibre optic and so far so good.

Anyone know any other Asian countries that have proper international speeds?

Coz there is no point me staying in Bangkok if all they can give is 88Kbps - total nonsense.

I don't see how a cable service would improve anything? It still has to connect with the same international routes out of the country surely?

A graphic illustration of how much True SUCK:

attachicon.gifTestMy_88Kbps_NineFifteenPM_080913.jpg

First of all, stop throwing your toys out of the pram for a second.

Then, consider changing to DOCSIS or changing your supplier. 3BB are supposed to be quite good.

Yes cable would improve the speed you get because while it's true that the international infrastructure is woefully inadequate, there are DOCSIS users here - including myself - who get consistently good international bandwidth.

You're not getting any joy from True so either change to DOCSIS or vote with your feet and try 3BB.

Failing that, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore all get great speeds; not as cheap to live there though

Edited by HardenedSoul

• 1 month later...

I have been using TRUE HI-SPEED INTERNET ADSL connection for some years now, at present rated 10.0/1.0 Mbps.

I got fed up with the sometimes slow International connection (my daughter complains about TRUE 3G on her iPhone as well) so applied to CAT for their "ON-NET" fibre-optic service.

Since CAT control the International Gateway then I think that's the best hope for a decent service.

Took them about 7-weeks, but CAT installed their fibre-optic cable from the connection point about 300 metres down the Soi, into the condo, then up the service shaft, and across the ceiling in my room. At zero cost. Naturally, I had to get approval from the condo management to install the cable (might be the stumbling block depending on your condo management).

The cost of the CAT connection depends on the speed requested, but ranges from 1,500 baht / month for 20.0 / 3.0 Mbps to 25,000 baht / month for 100 / 25 Mbps. I think there's a 300 baht / month fee for the modem (HUAWEI Wi-Fi modem/router) plus (I guess) 7% VAT. I haven't asked CAT yet if I can use my own modem but the HUAWEI works OK.

Speed Test using www.speedtest.net today shows: 46.95 / 5.05 Mbps, Latency 6 ms, Locally; and 46.95 / 6.62 Mbps, Latency 42 ms, to Singapore (SingTel); but reduced to 9.31 / 1,79 Mbps, Latecy 187 ms, to Los Angeles, USA.

I think my connection now is rated 40 / 5 Mbps, but I actually applied for 20 / 3 Mbps. CAT mixed up the paperwork.

I want to use it for watching streaming TV programs (Fox News, CNN, etc). I have a new ASUS laptop with an HDMI connection to a SAMSUNG 46" LED TV.

TRUE Internet also worked but somewhat unreliable depending on the time of day. CAT seems better up to now (touch wood).

Phone CAT TELECOM to see if they can provide the "ON-NET' service in your area.