Practitioner mauled by tiger at temple sanctuary in Nakhon Pathom

webfact

Practitioner Mauled By Tiger At Temple Sanctuary

tiger.jpg

NAKHON PATHOM: -- A tiger at a temple shelter in Nakorn Pathom province has attacked one of the temple practitioners, severely injuring him in the arm and hand.

The incident took place at Wat (Temple) Or Noi in Kampaengsaen District. Police found bloodstain on one of the 3 tiger cages. The tigers inside the cage were visibly irritated. It was not immediately clear how and why the man was attacked.

In total, 5 tigers live at the monastery. Luang Pu (Elder/Grandfather Monk) Dharma Issara, the temple abbot, told police he had been sheltering the tigers since 2003. He said the tigers were legally acquired and the Forest Department has approved their stay in the temple.

The abbot said the temple will foot the bill for the injured man′s medical cares.

A number of temples in Thailand serve as sanctuary for tigers. Some monasteries became very popular with foreign tourists by offering the tourists a chance to take photo next to these wild cats.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM016SXdNVEUyTmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-08

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of temples in Thailand serve as sanctuary for tigers. Some monasteries became very popular with foreign tourists by offering the tourists a chance to take photo next to these wild cats.

It seems many temples are chasing the tourist baht. I doubt monks receive any training prior to operating a wat as a zoo. Why the special exemption for a temple? Do monks have a divine ability to talk to animals? What do they do with this money that benefits the animals or society?

• Like 1

The tigers inside the cage were visibly irritated. I wonder why?

Is it just the photo quality or do the side and rear walls appear to be a lot less substantial than the front? Surely, they wouldn't cage tigers with bamboo sticks.

• Like 1

This was a tragedy waiting to happened as number of other temples are keeping tigers

and other wild animals for show and tell and act as an attractions for visitors to come

see and donate, and yet, no government body has a problem with un qualified people

raising wild animals, you try to keep a tiger in your back yard or condo and see how

fast the authorities will come to bear on you, but monks are exempt..

• Like 2

Practitioner : "forceps ? ....check.

scalpel............. check.

razor................check.

medicine.............check,

surgical mask.............. check.

Sedative............ ROARRRRRR............... Crap !

Edited by thequietman

Why are they being kept at a temple other than to bring in money.

Release them back to the wild where they belong

where is this wild you want to release them back to? Thailand already destroyed most of its wild and the neighbor-hooded countries are to follow.

this fact and completely incompetent authorities here in Thailand leading to these circumstances.

Very sad everything...

• Like 2

I have been to several of these "sanctuary's", with the family, maybe even at this same wat. I would consider them more as animal dumps, since all the animals are crammed into small dirty cages. I was told these animals have been "rescued", but looks more like they were acquired just to make money. Its a shame that people who pretend to hold life so dear, can do this to animals, and the people that visit these places, enjoying the suffering. Makes no sense to me. I really dont think many farang would go to these places, unless tricked by a tour operator, by telling they were going to a Sanctuary, or in my case, Thai family, wanting to see wildlife.

A number of temples in Thailand serve as sanctuary for tigers. Some monasteries became very popular with foreign tourists by offering the tourists a chance to take photo next to these wild cats. It seems many temples are chasing the tourist baht. I doubt monks receive any training prior to operating a wat as a zoo. Why the special exemption for a temple? Do monks have a divine ability to talk to animals? What do they do with this money that benefits the animals or society?

Sounds like an idea for a new TV series... The Tiger Whisperer

I have been to several of these "sanctuary's", with the family, maybe even at this same wat. I would consider them more as animal dumps, since all the animals are crammed into small dirty cages. I was told these animals have been "rescued", but looks more like they were acquired just to make money. Its a shame that people who pretend to hold life so dear, can do this to animals, and the people that visit these places, enjoying the suffering. Makes no sense to me. I really dont think many farang would go to these places, unless tricked by a tour operator, by telling they were going to a Sanctuary, or in my case, Thai family, wanting to see wildlife.

you criticize it but you went there with the whole family to support it... blink.png

does not really make sense ( okay, TiT, so things don't need to make sense...)

• Like 2