Full proof, guaranteed way to make Thai friends overnight.

up2you2

sorry but whistling at birds is for drop kicks, soccer/football is simply a sh*t sport same as muay thai and trying to play tennis with your feet was invented by a wank_er that didnt have any hand eye co ordination and could only kick things. If this is what makes you friends then they would make them all drop kicks as well. I like to base friendship on something more than stupid sports that require lots of drinking......... well these days anyway, where in the hell did I put my walking stick.....................

sorry but whistling at birds is for drop kicks, soccer/football is simply a sh*t sport same as muay thai and trying to play tennis with your feet was invented by a wank_er that didnt have any hand eye co ordination and could only kick things. If this is what makes you friends then they would make them all drop kicks as well. I like to base friendship on something more than stupid sports that require lots of drinking......... well these days anyway, where in the hell did I put my walking stick.....................

I'd rather not say, but you'll want to wash it, afterwards

up2you2, on 10 Jul 2013 - 09:01, said:

By your responses on this thread to date, and I could be completely wrong here, but I am beginning to wonder if you do have any male Thai friends.

If you do, what do you find you have in common with them?

If you don't, do you regret living in another part of the world without having made any friends with the locals.

In fact on reflection looking back, do you think that this is a prerequiste for Farangs trying to settle in Thailand, that they should not expect that they will in fact make some bona fide Thai friends.

-i don't have any male Thai friends nor do i have female ones,

-i don't regret living in a part of the world without having made local friends,

-i don't think it is a prerequisit to make friends living in any part of this world.

but as you seem to be honestly interested here an explanation:

-i live a rather withdrawn life and actually hate to cross the property line,

-this prevents to meet people and make local friends, notwithstanding the fact that i'm not interested to make friends,

-i have some friends who live abroad and meet them several times a year in Thailand or abroad,

-that sums up my lifestyle since i retired nearly 24 years ago.

i gave up trying to be "fully" accepted - what's the point?

on the items mentioned by the OP : i know less about football than the average thai granny and care less still, so footy talk is out(that said i did make a few attempts initially and found that thais know a lot more about the gambling odds on their teams than they do about the relative strengths and weaknesses of players and managers etc. where their knowledge tends to be basic and again tied often to gambling odds.)

takraw interested me initially too when i saw the beach boys in samui playing it after stowing the jet skis - it looks cool! i was dismayed to find that it requires really super cat-like agility, excellent eye to foot/elbow/knee/head/arse/heel coordination and feet made of wood, not soft british corned beef. that little basket is hard and doesn't give and realising that once you've kicked it is bad news. protection is used - canvas jimmies which are as much use as a wet newspaper. the rules are a nightmare too and vary depending on location, number of players and local preferences. i did try - once - but i sustained a groin strain, a damaged vein on my foot and a barrage of ridicule disguised as encouragement from the lads. <deleted>*k that.

muay thai is out from the get-go. i can't fight, i don't like it and i hate the music and daft pageantry. <deleted>*k that too.

bird fancying? easy now - no slack puns here - i don't disapprove but i think it's a bit weird spending tons of time, money and effort to acheive what? listening to a tiny bird make a frankly feeble and ordinary noise? i expected it to be some melodious refrain, but it's notable only for it's ordinariness. sorry, but <deleted>*k that an' all.

i'm scottish so the mere notion of parting with money for things as overrated as acceptance and friends makes me wince and perspire slightly, then reflexively check my wallet isn't missing. cash for company was out if i could help it - of course like all of us here i was left to pay the bill by "new thai mates" in the early days, but i'm pretty good at avoiding that now and don't mind buying a round early then buggering off before any other thirsty strays on the make pile in.

so i'm left with facing a future as an outsider here - i think the locals are in turn perplexed by me ("he have been good school and good job, a lot money - why he drinking and accident motorbike many time? stupid!"), indifferent("farang? who?"), but by far the most are friendly, tolerant and accepting of me as i am, which is a testament to the them - for all that there is sometimes a herd mentality here, thais are tolerant of individuals and their eccentricities as long as they are harmless and don't cause anyone bother.

'twas ever thus and still is. it's what made me think way back in '92 on the beach at chaweng "i think i'll stay a while here".

edit - oh dear it's time for bed - still on middle east time zone and been on the drams and skype to the uk all night..... bit of a ramble. so, in short i think the "full" proof guaranteed way to be accepted here is not to try - be yourself.

Edited by GooEng

By your responses on this thread to date, and I could be completely wrong here, but I am beginning to wonder if you do have any male Thai friends.

If you don't, do you regret living in another part of the world without having made any friends with the locals.

In fact on reflection looking back, do you think that this is a prerequiste for Farangs trying to settle in Thailand, that they should not expect that they will in fact make some bona fide Thai friends.

-i don't regret living in a part of the world without having made local friends,

-i don't think it is a prerequisit to make friends living in any part of this world.

-this prevents to meet people and make local friends, notwithstanding the fact that i'm not interested to make friends,

-i have some friends who live abroad and meet them several times a year in Thailand or abroad,

bla bla bla. go live on your little remote island

I appreciate your honesty Nam.

One of the motives to this thread has been what if anything lies at the end of the day, having gone to the extreme lengths of learning the local language.

To go full circle, and try to ascertain exactly if it makes any difference, when it comes down in trying to relate to the locals.

To use an an example I picked four past times that the Thais are very partial to, I'm sure there must be countless others.

When I first arrived here I did make a concerted effort, but I failed miserable, to the degree that I soon came to the conclusion that the Planet Thailand is only inhabited by women.

Sad in a way I really enjoy male company, nothing beats a good banter and laughs with like minded souls.

I feel amongst others it's a high price we pay for living here.

bla bla bla. go live on your little remote island

that's exactly what i am doing smile.png

I do not live in Thailand but in Cambodia where, of course, many Barang also complain about how they cannot make friends with Khmer.

They are usually the type that look down on all things Khmer and I have a feeling the same applies to Thailand. Stop being arrogant pricks, take an interest in the culture, accept the cultural divide and things might just go along fine. And get out of the girlie bars and pubs catering to foreigners.

I have many good Khmer friends and three of my best friends are Thai.

• Like 2

One of the motives to this thread has been what if anything lies at the end of the day, having gone to the extreme lengths of learning the local language.

To go full circle, and try to ascertain exactly if it makes any difference, when it comes down in trying to relate to the locals.

To use an an example I picked four past times that the Thais are very partial to, I'm sure there must be countless others.

When I first arrived here I did make a concerted effort, but I failed miserable, to the degree that I soon came to the conclusion that the Planet Thailand is only inhabited by women.

Sad in a way I really enjoy male company, nothing beats a good banter and laughs with like minded souls.

the appreciation of honesty is mutual. sad is that you don't seem too happy with the circumstances. your "it's a high price we pay for living here" says it all.

i too like a good banter and laugh when i'm with my friends with whom i share common interests and we joke and laugh very often on the phone without them or me taking a 12 hour or even much longer flight to meet. hardly a day passes that i don't spend an hour or two on the phone. even if i mastered Thai at a rather fluent level i don't think i'd find a Thai male who would be interested to discuss with me what i would like to discuss and i have no interest at all to discuss any of the topics you listed in your opening post. well... to each his own.

the appreciation of honesty is mutual. sad is that you don't seem too happy with the circumstances. your "it's a high price we pay for living here" says it all.

i too like a good banter and laugh when i'm with my friends with whom i share common interests and we joke and laugh very often on the phone without them or me taking a 12 hour or even much longer flight to meet. hardly a day passes that i don't spend an hour or two on the phone. even if i mastered Thai at a rather fluent level i don't think i'd find a Thai male who would be interested to discuss with me what i would like to discuss and i have no interest at all to discuss any of the topics you listed in your opening post. well... to each his own.

I'm happy to say that my interests are not common,

Let's me honest. We have all seen that very awkward farang who finds it necessary to start chatting up random, almost always uneducated service and low wage Thais and then he does a lot of smiling and acts like he is impressed and interested as hell in the fact that the Thai guy is communicating back with him. You will notice many posts on Thai Visa from farang about how the wisest Thai person they know is a janitor or sales clerk or bar tender. For these farang, it is not about friendship or communication, it is about their image of themselves. They see themselves in a certain way and have created this identity in their mind and that is what the process of chatting up random Thais is all about. If you were to investigate these characters more closely you would find they have few if any real friends and have anti-social tendencies despite the fake persona of an out going, interesting, worldly traveler. It has been said over and over, but you really want to tread carefully around other farang in Thailand. Many many nutters about.

Let's me honest. We have all seen that very awkward farang who finds it necessary to start chatting up random, almost always uneducated service and low wage Thais and then he does a lot of smiling and acts like he is impressed and interested as hell in the fact that the Thai guy is communicating back with him. You will notice many posts on Thai Visa from farang about how the wisest Thai person they know is a janitor or sales clerk or bar tender. For these farang, it is not about friendship or communication, it is about their image of themselves. They see themselves in a certain way and have created this identity in their mind and that is what the process of chatting up random Thais is all about. If you were to investigate these characters more closely you would find they have few if any real friends and have anti-social tendencies despite the fake persona of an out going, interesting, worldly traveler. It has been said over and over, but you really want to tread carefully around other farang in Thailand. Many many nutters about.

You're dead right there. There's far too many willing to stereotype and bad-mouth their fellows. Apart from the few farang I've spoken to, who mostly are reasonable, pleasant and intelligent chaps, most foreigners here are the lowest of the low, from the unloved to the violently psychopathic.

SC

You're dead right there. There's far too many willing to stereotype and bad-mouth their fellows. Apart from the few farang I've spoken to, who mostly are reasonable, pleasant and intelligent chaps, most foreigners here are the lowest of the low, from the unloved to the violently psychopathic.

SC

Agree with both.

I reckon 99% of Thais could name 2 English footballers, Rooney and Beckham. Muay Thai on TV round my village is watched by a small circle of males who get pretty boisterous with the gambling and drinking involved, sometimes we have live bouts at the temple always won by itinerant Cambodian labourers, no-one plays Takraw and I don't know about the birdwatching at all, birdkilling and chicken fighting is as close as I can see. It is a blinkered view I'm afraid. If you take a balanced view and interest in things you will be much better off

After all this time, can't say that I have a Thai-Friend.

But we must not forget 2 things:

1) The average Thai considers Thailand as the ultimate place on earth to live in. Must be: 24 million tourists come here every year. And some of those visitors want to stay and are willing to bring along all their money to Thailand. No wonder, that this re-enforces their belief, that Thailand is the country of all countries!

The fact that other nationalities and ethnic groups exist on this globe, is automatically an error of evolution, or administered by a higher authority.

2) Given this, the only "Measuring-Stick" remaining, is the financial capabilities of someone coming from outside of Thailand. Meaning: Financial capabilities that can be channeled to the benefit of Thai-Nationals. As long as the Farang can be part of this "silent-understanding" and is capable of acting accordingly = fine. If not, his "social-standing" in Thailand will be downgraded to the level of a soi-dog in no time at all.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Tell them you are paying the bill at 7pm, usually works a treat.

I found that ordering a couple of bottles of Johhny Walker at the nightclub does the trick.

You will have many new friends coming to join you at your table smile.png