Phuket hotels say no to shark fin soup

webfact

with all Thai/Chinese enjoying their shark fin soups on Sundays , it will take centuries (or the end of shark species) to stop them eating that dish. anyway its always good to reminds the essential to people . Hope the whole country will say no to shark fin soup

It will never happen sad.png

I also suspect that those hotels that have, so far, signed up have done so because they either dont offer sharks fin or stand to loose such a small amount of business that it makes no difference either way.

I was thinking the same thing, but at least it's a start.

This thing about the mercury - I think all fish has it but it's always rolled out whenever people want to save animals - I saw the documentary 'The Cove' about the dolphins in Japan and they used the same argument. I've never tried shark's fin or dolphin but I eat a lot of tuna and I've read that it too contains heavy metals. Any animal you eat has some problem. You can't win.

• Like 1

I worked in HK for 5+ years as a Director of a Bank, my boss, the CEO, and the Chairman of the bank, both Chinese, could not understand why I refused to eat Sharks Fin Soup as they believed that the shark would "grow another fin!" These are 'educated' people but until you re educate them nothing will change. Any initiative, however small, in banning this inhumane treatment of sharks will have my support. Unfortunately the expernetially growing middle classes in (supposedly Classless), China want to emulate what they perceive as the behaviour of the 'elite'. Unfortunately when they were a few it may have been sustainable but now, no way!!

• Like 2

I worked in HK for 5+ years as a Director of a Bank, my boss, the CEO, and the Chairman of the bank, both Chinese, could not understand why I refused to eat Sharks Fin Soup as they believed that the shark would "grow another fin!" These are 'educated' people but until you re educate them nothing will change. Any initiative, however small, in banning this inhumane treatment of sharks will have my support. Unfortunately the expernetially growing middle classes in (supposedly Classless), China want to emulate what they perceive as the behaviour of the 'elite'. Unfortunately when they were a few it may have been sustainable but now, no way!!

I have heard this before, also from very educated HK people!

The sale of fin has gone crazy, prices are up over 100% in the last few years

Imagine if they treated whales the same way. Whale fin soup. Cut off the fins and throw the mutilated body back in the ocean. That would create some reactions I think. Why should we treat sharks any different?

As a fellow fisherman I find it is disgusting the way they "harvest" shark fins. I am glad to see that somebody is trying to do something about it.

I am ashamed to say that I have also tasted this soup many many years ago and it was nice, but just about anything could be cooked to taste good. Find something else to eat!

• Like 2

Let me state, that I find sharks fin incredibly wasteful & pointless! The soup can be great, #1 especially & i am not some activist. If the whole animal was used & it had a clear defined taste I would have no problems with it.

As such I have no problems eating Foie Gras, Veal etc..... but this is the most over rated & pointless addition to a good soup ever!

"As such I have no problems eating Foie Gras, Veal etc"

Shame on you!

Let me state, that I find sharks fin incredibly wasteful & pointless! The soup can be great, #1 especially & i am not some activist. If the whole animal was used & it had a clear defined taste I would have no problems with it.

As such I have no problems eating Foie Gras, Veal etc..... but this is the most over rated & pointless addition to a good soup ever!

Shame on you!

Why shame on me?

Do you realise that free range veal & foie gras exists? Do you know the UK has veal farms that even morons like PETA dont have issue with??

DO explain further from your vaulted soap box position.

I also suspect that those hotels that have, so far, signed up have done so because they either dont offer sharks fin or stand to loose such a small amount of business that it makes no difference either way.

Absolutely correct!

I have eaten shark fin soup years ago, and while I sort of liked it, I ate it more because of the social aspect of it (wedding dish, etc.). However, once the ecological aspects of the issue grew in stature, I have refused to eat it, even at weddings here in Thailand where my refusal to eat it raised a degree of angst.

As I eat meat, I feel I have no moral high ground on the fact that a shark is killed for consumption. However, when the practice so seriously depletes the populations and is having drastic effects on the ecosystem, well, that goes beyond the mere fact that an animal is being killed. I feel that all shark fishing should be banned until it is scientifically proven that stocks have recovered to the extent that sustainable harvesting can be commenced.

• Like 1

Too bad the real culprits wont be signing up. All the big hotels in Phuket town have sharkfin as an entree on their set menus for birthdays, weddings and other big functions. 200 plus Thais all chowing down, not knowing what they are eating. This is just a publicity stunt to make the farangs feel good about staying in shark friendly hotels while the real carnage goes on under their noses. By the way I have eaten it a few times out of interest. It tastes like old socks and my willy didnt get any bigger. (Thank god or it might have been embarrassing)

Edited by IrishIvan

Shame on you!

Why shame on me?

Do you realise that free range veal & foie gras exists? Do you know the UK has veal farms that even morons like PETA dont have issue with??

DO explain further from your vaulted soap box position.

"Do you realise that free range veal & foie gras exists?"

Don't be ridiculous! by their very nature they could not be "free range". Just as, if I "vaulted" my soapbox, I could not speak from upon it.