I signed a document that I had no financial interest in the property, freely and willingly I purchased the land for my wife and it is hers. I have no problem doing that,as she is my wife and I trust her to do the right thing as she has and continues to do for the last 8 years.

Granted a person could put their faith in the wrong person, I know my wife would have to have a very good reason to even think of taking that drastic action. Like me being unfaithful or taking on a mia noi, which I would never do.

I am not saying that there are no circumstances that she may consider that, like betraying her trust or abusing her.

I work very hard at keeping our marriage together, and she does also.

Losing my wife for a stolen moment of pleasure is not a action I would take, I have a great wife and way to much to lose and would be an extremely stupid and foolish thing to do.

Cheers:smile.png

I have no doubts that your wife is all that you say; that doesn`t come into question, but what would happen in the event if your wife died or you had some sort of legal problem with others in your neighborhood, a dispute or a problem that involved the police and they decided to check you out and so on.

Covering yourself in Thailand for most eventualities is like taking out an insurance policy, rather than leave everything to chance.

A close Irish friend some years ago, lost his beloved Thai wife to an illness. They had no children. The couple owned some lum yai land and a house together. Within days of his wife`s death, her ever loving caring family turned up to claim his house and lands stating that they are the next of kin.

It took my friend over 3 years to fight the case. Lawyers, expense and having to attend court. It concluded that his wife`s family were given the lum yai land and my friend could remain in the house but if he wished to sell, 50% of the proceeds of the sale had to be given to his in-laws and other relatives.

The house and land I live on was inherited by my wife from her grandparents before we married. But I am still not taking any chances. I placed everything into the names of my 3 children. Of course they could still throw me out, and hoping that would never happen. Anyway, once I and the wife kick the bucket they will all inherit the property, so no problems.

Nothing personal, nothing to do with mistrusting, just common sense and for peace of mind, that`s all.

I know of a similar story before I ever thought that Thailand would end up being my home on this planet. Back in previous life I worked being a proffesional house painter. I eventually befriended a co-worker and we began to hang out after work have some beers et. He alway seemed depressed, even suicidal at times. One day we were working on this old victorian home and he invited me to eat some Thai food at our lunch break. Finally he told me this story. He used to live in Thailand in Chiangrai. He met and married a Chiangrai girl and had a kid and started a trekking buiness for the backpackers looking to visit the hilltribe communities. It all sounded very cool and out of the ordinary to me. His business was starting to take off and he was pretty much living a great life in Chiangrai. His wife took ill and within 24 hrs. passed away. He cliams he got along great with the inlaws and extended family. They loved his child and he believed they genuinly loved him. He continued to help support the various family members that needed monies for this and that. 3 months after his wife,s passing his wife's brother told him he was not welcomed anymore and that now the family owns everything. The money he saved was gone. The family gave him pretty much enough money for a plane ticket. He had lived in Thailnd 9 years. I guess the point of this story is that if there is a blue chance in hell that there might be an opprotunity to take advantage of a person I fine that some will. I have been married and have lived in Thailand for 19 years. The family here is great! Seldom any problems. Make no mistake that in the event (God forbid) that my wife died and I didn't sort out the things that needed to be in place for a future without her, I would be left to the mercy of, well let's just say "Not my wife".......................

My advice is to make a will, not just for any children but for you as well. I understand that you have given freely to your wife because of how the laws are here and the fact you trust her. I got that. Security is a good feeling too.

Something doesn't sound right here.

With a proper marriage and a kid involved, if the land was owned by the wife, properly, with a land title, it would NOT be inherited by the rest of the family, but would be inherited by the husband and child. The foreign husband would be required to sell has share of the property within a year (or more likely give his share to the kid). The rest of the family wouldn't have inherited anything as the existence of descendants basically disinherits them if the spouse is still living.

i.e. Either his wife didn't own the land the house was on (i.e. Family-owned land, or not a proper Chanote for the land title), or he didn't really get married (i.e. just the ceremony, not the paperwork)..

Personally, we have several properties here, but also several properties abroad. We already had kids before moving to Thailand, so I had no issues about buying as even if something happened to my wife, the properties would end up belonging to the kids (as I'd have to give them my share as I couldn't own it myself).

For your own kids to throw you out of "their" house, you'd need to have been a pretty awful parent.

You are absolutly right! In my own circumstance there are no children involved. I made a will so that there would be no question when the assets are liquidated. In the event that certains asset's cannot be liquidedated in a year's time then what are the consequences?