Should Manila remain the capital of the Philippines?

webfact

By Coconuts Manila

trillanes_sm.jpg?itok=sV_xUh9A

MANILA: -- Senator Antonio Trillanes IV has filed a bill to create a commission that will study whether Manila and the National Capital Region should be retained as the seat of government.

Trillanes said "lack of urban planning as manifested by antiquated drainage systems, traffic gridlocks, hazardous air quality, and compounded by the proliferation of illegal settlers make Metro Manila a place with only little space for development."

Full story: http://manila.coconuts.co/2013/07/12/should-manila-remain-capital-philippines

coconuts_logo.jpg
-- Coconuts Manila 2013-07-12

It doesn't matter where the capital city is. So what if it can't develop any further? There are plenty of other places in Philippines. I don't know why people get fixated about capital cities. Manila will still have the same problems whether it's the capital or not. You won't magically change anything by declaring somewhere else as the capital. People will still want to live and do business in Manila. People haven't moved out of NYC just because Washington is the capital. Same with many big cities around the world.

LoL... Why not just fix the problems instead of trying to move the government somewhere else? Also, I would be nice to be able to go to your hotel in manila without needing to have the taxi checked for bombs and walking through a metal detector when you enter your hotel.

• Like 1

No let's move it to London. Then I would not need a visa to visit.

You need visa to visit? That's at first

NO Visa is needed almost everyone gets 21DAYS free on arrival.. I go to Boracay Island like how Phuket was 10 yrs ago.

Moving the capital city will be a fantastic opportunity for rake offs. Won't be long before we hear Mr T suggesting similar is my guess.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It worked in Burma...and Brazil as I recall...

Edited by bangon04

Moving the capital city will be a fantastic opportunity for rake offs. Won't be long before we hear Mr T suggesting similar is my guess.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He already did, i believe a few years ago and from memory to Udon or somewhere in Isaan where most of the MP's owned land

How is moving the Capital from Manila to a different site going to help the inadequate drainage, bad roads and poor living conditions of so many Manila citizens ?

Why don't politicians stop thinking about themselves and start raising the basic standard of living by sorting out their country's problems ?

Maybe better to move the parliament building and other government offices INTO one of the slum areas, and then see how long it takes before something is done !

Surely, this politician has no shame in that he, a legislator, is admitting that part of his country is so poorly governed and administered that it is unfit for civilised human habitation !

Bear in mind that Manila (I happen to be there right now as I type) has truly dreadful infrastructure and nowhere to build to fix it - you need "swing space" to move people or services into while you fix or rebuild the broken bits, and that just doesn't exist in Manila.

A properly planned and serviced government precinct somewhere else would actually improve things by moving all the public servants out of the way for a start.

Once traffic loads are reduced, it would give them breathing space that may help allow them to fix Manila - so its not a dreadful idea at all - as long as the infrastructure and planning is done right.

Look at the Fort area - its very pleasant with wide roads and it all seems just like any well planned modern city space - but just down the road, and its a whole different story.

As always, a commission is an excellent idea. Wonder if The Honorable Senator Trillanes (the fourth) has any ideas/suggestions as to the compostion, mandate and budgeting of this commission.

Edited by marell

It would be very unlikely that this would happen. The layers of politics go very deep in the Philippines. With so many hands in the pot, moving the pot would seem impossible. Business relationships, banks, real estate, municipal contracting...whew. It might be better for them to decentralize their government a bit more, realizing this would open the door for even more graft and corruption.