Can a Laotian get a work permit?

A Laotian friend of mine was asking how difficult it would be for her to get a work permit in Thailand. I haven't the slightest idea what rules apply to Laotian.

Does anyone have a link to a good run down on what is required for a Laotian to get a visa and work permit.

Thanks.

The requirements for a Working Visa and Work Permit can be less exacting for Asean Members, with opportunities for pre approved two year working visas like the Non Immigrant LA (Labour - Approved) which has a two year entry stamp (90 day reporting required).

Work Permits can be issued, to employees of Thai Employers with a quota allocation from their Local Labour Department, allowing them a certain number of foreign workers. These kind of WPs are limited to Employment within an Amphoe rather than a Province, as is the case for foreign workers from further afield and they do have any Capitalisation Restrictions/limits {eg 2 Million per WP) .

Please note that my experience is with Burmese Labour, but I am sure there will be a similar scheme for Laotians.

NK immigration is overloaded with issue and re-issue work permits for Laotians

advise.

In order to keep track of Lao citizens abroad it is highly recommended to apply for working permit in Thailand.

The requirements for a Working Visa and Work Permit can be less exacting for Asean Members, with opportunities for pre approved two year working visas like the Non Immigrant LA (Labour - Approved) which has a two year entry stamp (90 day reporting required).

Work Permits can be issued, to employees of Thai Employers with a quota allocation from their Local Labour Department, allowing them a certain number of foreign workers. These kind of WPs are limited to Employment within an Amphoe rather than a Province, as is the case for foreign workers from further afield and they do have any Capitalisation Restrictions/limits {eg 2 Million per WP) .

Please note that my experience is with Burmese Labour, but I am sure there will be a similar scheme for Laotians.

Doesn't it depend on the type of labour that is being performed? Also, I'm pretty sure these working visas you describe are only valid for Burmese, Cambodian and Laotian labourers. Professional workers from these countries (which are small in number compared to the blue collar ones) and workers from other ASEAN countries such as Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore, who tend to work in professional fields get the same types of visas and work permits as all other foreigners. I have also been told that Lao, Cambodian and Burmese labourers can never apply for Thai permanent residency or citizenship as only richer professionals who have contributed X amount of tax to the Thai economy are eligible to become citizens.

There are two main route for a Lao person to get a work permit in Thailand. The first is the bog standard way that all foreigners use - with the usual restrictions: a certain amount of paid up capital and a ratio of 4 Thai's for every work permit.

Fortunately for Lao (as well as Burmese and Cambodian nationals) they can avail themselves to the Migrant Labour Scheme where a Thai resident employer (either a company or a individual of any nationality) can hire a national from these countries without any of the restrictions of the normal work permit process.

Although these permits are often used for manual labour (eg factories, housemaids etc) there is also something approaching a professional/administrative category.

The employer is required to apply for a 'quota' to employ a foreigner under this scheme from the local labour office, and under the rules, the foreign worker will be required to get special ID provided by their home government specifically for this scheme.

The foreign worker will have access to social services (particularly health care).

The one main drawback is that there are only certain times of the year new applicants can apply, so ask your local labour office when that is. From memory, it is usally around now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see that this is an old thread so I may not get a reply, but.....

My partner is in the same position - hoping to get a work permit but not sure how to go about it.

We have been told he needs to get a different passport which allows him to work, the same as the Burmese have, does anyone know if this is right? I can't find any information on it and no one seems to know.

I looked into this for a Cambodian, went to the labor office in Phuket town and spoke with the head guy in thai an english, very nice guy an he said not dificult to do. You first get a sponosor (someone who agrees to hire them) an than start the paperwork. also a lot quicker than a "farang" wp as well.

He gave me all the paperwork and said if i needed help to come see him. Onlyy differerance from what Samran said is, it can be done at anytime ( at least on Phuket)