Homeowners Dues

Mekong Bob

Is it common for homeowners living in housing developments in and around Chiang Mai to be charged a monthly homeowner fee or dues according to the area of their property? A homeowner with 400 tarang wa of land would pay more homeowners dues than his neighbor with 200 tarang wa. Is this common?

The homeowners association employs a full-time maintenance man who maintains the common areas (grass, shrubs, trees, streetlights, water pump and tower, etc.), but does not provide any services to individual homeowners.

Would be interesting to know how much people in different locations are paying per plot/wa.

Yes, indeed. Another variable, however, is the services provided to individual (non-common) properties. If the Homeowners Association spends more time and money on the larger plots, and less on the smaller plots, then the varying fee amounts makes good sense. Otherwise, with no individual services provided, then the association is setting the fees according to the "ability to pay," i.e., larger plot owners have more money and therefore should pay more for the same service.

In Virginia (USA), I lived in a housing development and all residents paid the same monthly fee amount, regardless of plot size, residence size, use of community swimming pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, etc.

Usually includes refuse collection, street lighting and regular mozzie gassing.

Mine in CM is currently 120bht/month.

Sounds good (inexpensive!). I pay three times that amount, but wouldn't mind paying 600-700 baht each month . . . . so long as everyone in the community paid the same! (The new policy, based on plot size, will take effect next month.)

Does everyone in your community pay 120bht/month?

Usually includes refuse collection, street lighting and regular mozzie gassing.

Mine in CM is currently 120bht/month.

Sounds good (inexpensive!). I pay three times that amount, but wouldn't mind paying 600-700 baht each month . . . . so long as everyone in the community paid the same! (The new policy, based on plot size, will take effect next month.)

Does everyone in your community pay 120bht/month?

yep

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

In my mooban, we are setting up a homeowners' association to take over management of the estate from the developer. We're looking for all the advice we can get. So far things are going ok, but there will always be snags that we don't foresee. So if anyone has been thru this already, can you point us in the direction of any info, websites, HA's websites, that we can check? That would be cool. Thanks.