plastic septic tank

tatom

I just put in a new septic system with a plastic tank and I built a real leachfield. The only tanks Ive ever seen were concrete or steel. This tank looked as though it should work ok, and so far so good.

I do have one concern. The plastic baffle should allow only liquid to enter the outlet side, but there is some solid material on that side. Im afraid that some solids will enter the outlet pipe and eventually clog up the leachfield.

The outlet pipe is right up tight to the baffle, so Im hoping only liquid will enter the outlet pipe.

Has anyone with a plastic tank noticed if the baffle keeps out solids?

Tom Khon Kaen

If your inlet and outlet pipes are arranged like this:

post-14979-0-26935200-1373875079_thumb.j

Then you should be good to go, the outlet pipe remains well below the surface but above the settled sludge, keeps out the floaters on the top.

• Like 1

Yep, there's basically three different designs,

1) As per the diagram above, so the outlet pipe collects below the floating media

2) Central baffle that keeps the media totally away from the outlet pipe

3) Outlet pipe sealed at the end, with smaller holes (1" - 2") drilled underneath for water ingress (smaller than the media)

I usually buy the #3 style, as it allows the most media to be inserted, and the outlet water comes from the highest (cleanest) point

Edited by IMHO