PM threatens legal action against spoiled rice rumour-mongers

Lite Beer

Since the government insists on not using independent people to investigate anything, the only ones left to investigate are those with vested interests who obviously noone with half a brain is going to believe. Yet, if you dare to cry foul, legal action will be taken against you?

Apparently I/we are not allowed to warn others against potential problems with Thai rice, but I assume it is ok for me to buy foreign rice for personal use? Or will I risk arrest for that too?

Does this cover the International media also?

Lead contamination a blow to Thailand rice

BY John Le Fevre ON 15 Apr 2013

The Thailand rice industry has been dealt another blow with the American Chemical Society publishing a report showing the country’s rice contains levels of lead that exceed Food and Drug Administration (FDA) levels.

The report, led by Monmouth University associate professor of chemistry Tsanangurayi Tongesayi, found lead levels ranged from 6 mg to 12 mg per kilogramme, or estimated lead exposure levels of 30 to 60 times greater than FDA levels for children and 20-40 times greater than the standard levels for adults.

http://www.establishmentpost.com/lead-contamination-a-blow-to-thailand-rice/

This is exactly the problem with pretty much all Thaistyle investigations of anything. The American Chemical Society publishes a proper report full of numbers and details (see links), and if it is an agency with no vested interests, which I am guessing it is, this adds up to a believable investigation.

A Thai investigation on the same matter would be done either by the PTP or some rice trader organization, both of whom have very obvious vested interests. Their report will have either no numbers and details, or will be full of numbers and details that make no sense, even to themselves. Either way, the report will never be published, instead a government spokesman will tell the public that the report found no problems with anything, so no need to worry - end of investigation!

Any Thai agency attempting to conduct an independent investigation will, if the results are not good for the PTP, be accused of working for the Democrats and subsequently be fired and/or prosecuted!

Is this the same Yingluck that makes speeches about democracy to the world? The same Yingluck who vows to fight and eradicate corruption?

Obviously free speech is not part of her view of democracy.

Same old PTP - do as we say or else! Believe what we say, or else! No criticism or hint of negative comments are allowed.

Sadly, they know many Thais are genuinely scared to challenge what they perceive as "authority" and many more are are just apathetic.

That's how most dictator's started. Get the ones on side who matter, controlling the rest is easy.

The Thailand rice industry has been dealt another blow with the American Chemical Society publishing a report showing the country’s rice contains levels of lead that exceed Food and Drug Administration (FDA) levels.

The report, led by Monmouth University associate professor of chemistry Tsanangurayi Tongesayi, found lead levels ranged from 6 mg to 12 mg per kilogramme, or estimated lead exposure levels of 30 to 60 times greater than FDA levels for children and 20-40 times greater than the standard levels for adults.

This is exactly the problem with pretty much all Thaistyle investigations of anything. The American Chemical Society publishes a proper report full of numbers and details (see links), and if it is an agency with no vested interests, which I am guessing it is, this adds up to a believable investigation.

A Thai investigation on the same matter would be done either by the PTP or some rice trader organization, both of whom have very obvious vested interests. Their report will have either no numbers and details, or will be full of numbers and details that make no sense, even to themselves. Either way, the report will never be published, instead a government spokesman will tell the public that the report found no problems with anything, so no need to worry - end of investigation!

Any Thai agency attempting to conduct an independent investigation will, if the results are not good for the PTP, be accused of working for the Democrats and subsequently be fired and/or prosecuted!

If these levels were any wear near the claims they make the FDA would slap a ban on Thai rice so fast it would make your head spin.

If they have no vested interest why the study some one paid for it. who

I am in no way saying the rice is not tainted but that report is ridicules.

Never mind the slander or libel laws now you can be done for rumour mongering too.

What's next.... gossip?

Next... arrested for thinking. However, it's a good thing that doesn't happen much here.

TV posters or the Thai population?

Suppose 'if the cap fits' !!!

Where is it all going to end? One thing's for sure, it won't be of benefit to the people and country of Thailand.

Its the judiciary and all these independent media and agencies that are getting in the way of effective management of the country, if they would all just close their eyes, ears and mouths then the Thug-ocracy could get on with what it does best....

listen bimbo: if you want to be a public servant & be in the limelight, you have to accept criticism and even the fact that rumors will occur & people will talk . If you want a good reputation you must earn it, and word of mouth will be more positive.

Her & the cronies try to run this place like its China (guess its in the blood.....dynasties, class systems, exceptions, cronyism, censorship) What will they do when real China runs the place? (escape to Dubai??)

Most eloquently stated and succint. Would be a refreshing change should she hold her government to the same standards.

"Where is it all going to end? One thing's for sure, it won't be of benefit to the people and country of Thailand."...........................................

I agree, but when did that ever stop them ?

This reminds me of the Rice Pledging Scheme (fiasco) Everything was fine until people started to find out about it.

And Yingluck, if you are going to have people who say anything about tainted rice charged you may as well start with my missus, she was the one who told me about it. But I would think twice about it as she is a fan of yours and the way I see it you need all the fans you can get.

The problem the faux PM has is that her ministers have been economical with the truth and have refused to reveal any verifiable facts about the costs, corruption & people involved.

That is why rumours abound. Her bro has really dropped her in the cow pats.

• Like 1

If these levels were any wear near the claims they make the FDA would slap a ban on Thai rice so fast it would make your head spin.

If they have no vested interest why the study some one paid for it. who

I am in no way saying the rice is not tainted but that report is ridicules.

I quoted another link from a different lab fruther up the thread. However, there are no official rules about many of these heavy metals in foods. As I pointed out though, many many brands reported are claimed to be "Organic". Now 300k (10% of the whole Hom Mali crop), tonnes of principally top grade Hom Mali was exported to the USA. Where does all of that production of so called Organic rice go on?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm#chart