Where to rent a condo in Bangkok 4K-6K

mjef

Hi everybody

Finally I've been told by Pro Language School that my approval letter is ready! So I'll be in Thailand in late August. smile.png I was wondering that what are the best locations to rent a condo (6-month or 1-year contract) in Bangkok, considering:

1- My school is in Times Square Building (near BTS Asoke) which is in Khlong Toei Area I believe.

2- My first priority is Internet! I need a good 3G and WiFi coverage because I live on the Internet!!!

3- My budget is about 4K-6K.

4- I would like to live in an area which is alive. I mean if I go out before midnight and wanna find something to eat or just hang around, I'm not out of luck. It makes me happy to see all those people walking around talking, shopping, eating at food stalls, and everything.

5- I don't care if it's a little bit far from my school as long as I can get there easily.

5- Safety is also very important. A Thai friend told me that Khlong Toei is not so safe. He said there are lots of drug dealers and criminals out there (I'm not sure though)!

So any suggestions? I'm planning to stay in a hotel for one week after I arrived in BKK and meanwhile hunt for a good place.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well asok is easy to get to as it is connected to both the MRT and BTS travel networks.

4-6k won't buy you much near a BTS or MRT stop though.

For a central location you are looking at a 24-30sqm studio apartment with basic furnishings. If you are crafty you can get something with a pool but it will be a dive or a hike to the MRT/BTS.

Anyway!

Suggestions..

Rajaprop Mansion. Near victory monument which has a BTS stop that connects to Asok for work. Place is within your budget and even has a pool. Very old and shitty building but that is what your budget offers I am affriad. The area around Victory Monument is very lively too. Soi Rangnam is also good. You are not far from either one.

Huay Kwang / Rama 9

Head down soi 3 and soi 7. Plenty of Thai style apartments down these roads in the 4-6 k range. Both accessible for MRT and can get to Asok in about 10min.

Pra Cha Song Kor (maybe soi 27?)

This is in betwen victory monument and huay kwang, This means it is not as close to a BTS or MRT stop... However, prices are cheaper and it has some nice restaurants and stuff at night. My friend rented a nice studio apartment in this area for 3,500 (no air con though).

On Nut - Sukhumvit

Has a BTS stop and a bunch of apartments. Might be a squeeze to find something good for 4-6k but they do exist. Don't expect much more than a basic studio apartment in a fairly drab building.

• Like 1

Thanks for your detailed answer Metapod. What you said means that I can't get a nice 24-30 sqm condo anywhere in the city center. So what if we get away a little bit from the center? As long as I can get to the school in 1-2 hours it should be fine. I'll have to go there only 2 time a week.

I'll definitely need an aircon, that's out of question. About the pool, having one would be good, it's not that important though. Having some nice neighbors (no matter thai or farang) whom I actually can live peacefully with is much more important to me. For that matter maybe I can pay even more (something like 7K) if I have to.

Hi mjef, if the pool is not as important then you will find a lot of good places in that will start from 2500 per month (no A/C), 3500 (with A/C). All in pretty good order, but you will be in areas that will take you at least an hour travelling to the school and some not so close to the MRT or BTS. PM me if you want to know a bit more. It is really down to what you actually need or what you would like.

Thanks for your detailed answer Metapod. What you said means that I can't get a nice 24-30 sqm condo anywhere in the city center. So what if we get away a little bit from the center? As long as I can get to the school in 1-2 hours it should be fine. I'll have to go there only 2 time a week.

I'll definitely need an aircon, that's out of question. About the pool, having one would be good, it's not that important though. Having some nice neighbors (no matter thai or farang) whom I actually can live peacefully with is much more important to me. For that matter maybe I can pay even more (something like 7K) if I have to.

The places I listed are still "in the city" and not 1 or 2 hours away.

They are all within 30min of traveling.

7k is a good number. That opens up a lot more options. I know places you can rent a studio apartment with a pool and gym for 7k and commute to Asok in under 30min

• Like 1

Ramkhamhaeng area is perfect for you.

Cheap accomodation.

Plenty of uni students.

Plenty of places to eat, the area is alive.

Get the river boat on klong Saen Saep, get off at the stop called Nana Chart bottom of Suk soi 15.

The boat takes about 20 minutes from Ram, costs about 14 baht, you can either walk to Suk rd takes about 10 minutes, Times Square is right infront of you, or get a motorcycle taxi costs 10 baht to Suk Rd.

• Like 2

Isn't there a huge surcharge for electricity at these cheap Apts? so if you use AC all the time your electric bill is more than your rent? This happened to me in Pattaya when I stayed in a 4500/month room for one month. My elec was 4500 for the month I stayed there

• Like 1

And i quote " alot of good places for 2500thb a month "

Omg !

At least quote correctly if your going to quote what someone has stated.

you will find a lot of good places in that will start from 2500 per month (no A/C), 3500 (with A/C).

I believe that is the quote your referring to, which I do actually know is correct.

Edited by Psych01
  • Like 1

Isn't there a huge surcharge for electricity at these cheap Apts? so if you use AC all the time your electric bill is more than your rent? This happened to me in Pattaya when I stayed in a 4500/month room for one month. My elec was 4500 for the month I stayed there

I know about the electricity traps! The price usually starts at 4-5 baht per unit to 8-9. I'll definitely keep this parameter in mind.

And i quote " alot of good places for 2500thb a month "

Omg !

At least quote correctly if your going to quote what someone has stated.

you will find a lot of good places in that will start from 2500 per month (no A/C), 3500 (with A/C).

I believe that is the quote your referring to, which I do actually know is correct.

And do they have good 3G and WiFi coverage?

Hi mjef, if the pool is not as important then you will find a lot of good places in that will start from 2500 per month (no A/C), 3500 (with A/C). All in pretty good order, but you will be in areas that will take you at least an hour travelling to the school and some not so close to the MRT or BTS. PM me if you want to know a bit more. It is really down to what you actually need or what you would like.

And do they have good good 3G and WiFi coverage?

No absolutely NOTHING in this area for ฿4-6,000.

Do whatever you can to increase that budget.

Still won't get you anything in Asoke but ฿8,000 will get you something quite decent in On Nut. Not the most salubrious area but lots of amenities and only a few stops to Asoke BTS.

If you're going to spend lots of time in an apartment, it makes sense to be as comfortable as possible.

Still won't get you anything in Asoke but ฿8,000 will get you something quite decent in On Nut. Not the most salubrious area but lots of amenities and only a few stops to Asoke BTS.

If you're going to spend lots of time in an apartment, it makes sense to be as comfortable as possible.

I'm not so choosy about the area. As I said even if I can reach the Asoke BTS in something like an hour it's also fine. And I can go up to 7K if I find a nice deal.

By the way are you sure absolutely nothing in the On Nut area for 4-6K?! I found a couple of places on Internet like this one:

http://www.thaiapartment.com/ApartmentDetail.asp?ProjectID=2741

or this one:

http://www.thaiapartment.com/ApartmentDetail.asp?ProjectID=3604

I know the places that make it on the net specifically target farangs and have higher prices. But there must be a lot of good deals out there. And I suppose I can go for a discount if I have a Thai speaking friend with me. Am I right?

I'm not so choosy about the area. As I said even if I can reach the Asoke BTS in something like an hour it's also fine. And I can go up to 7K if I find a nice deal.

By the way are you sure absolutely nothing in the On Nut area for 4-6K?! I found a couple of places on Internet like this one:

or this one:

I know the places that make it on the net specifically target farangs and have higher prices. But there must be a lot of good deals out there. And I suppose I can go for a discount if I have a Thai speaking friend with me. Am I right?

Those places look nice but usually represent the pricier end of the range. Your 6k may not even get you a match box with a two-ring hotplate and a sink next to your bed albeit air conditioned.

For a more realistic representation of what's available to you with that budget, try craigslist.

In fact, I've just done a search on there using the budget limits you have. Typed in On Nut got 1 (ONE) result

Tried omitting Onnut and got more results but take a look at the state of what's on offer.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/apa?query=&zoomToPosting=&srchType=A&minAsk=4000&maxAsk=6000&bedrooms=&hasPic=1

• Like 1

or this one:

And I suppose I can go for a discount if I have a Thai speaking friend with me. Am I right?

Oh yea of little knowledge, the Thais will rip off another Thai quicker and more frequently than they will rip off a farang.

You will have noticed those places are for a one year rental, is that what you want?

No there will be no discount.

Please define good deal.

You want some place real cheap, that you can reach the BTS within an hour, try Suk soi 71, soi 34, places there for 1,000 baht per month, personally I wouldnt put my dog in them, but beggars cant be choosers.

or this one:

And I suppose I can go for a discount if I have a Thai speaking friend with me. Am I right?

Oh yea of little knowledge, the Thais will rip off another Thai quicker and more frequently than they will rip off a farang.

You will have noticed those places are for a one year rental, is that what you want?

No there will be no discount.

Please define good deal.

You want some place real cheap, that you can reach the BTS within an hour, try Suk soi 71, soi 34, places there for 1,000 baht per month, personally I wouldnt put my dog in them, but beggars cant be choosers.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah that's what I want. A 6-month to 1-year contract. And:

1- Usually a deal means something with a good value for money.

2- I'm not a beggar or a dog! sad.png I'm just a student-to-be.

3- My budget is not 1000 baht, but 4000-6000 baht which I can add 1k more if I come across a good deal (with the definition above).

People say you won't be able to get apartments for your price in decent locations but they are wrong. There are apartments in that price range all over Bangkok including close to the BTS and MRT.

I've looked at decent places within your budget within walking distance to the BTS at Siam, Ari, On Nut, Phraya Thai, Ratchathewi. Literally a couple of minutes walk.

All of them were liveable and not at all bad. Usually quite small but this was about the only issue.

I know people living in OK apartments even in areas like Ekkamai and Thong Lor that are close to the BTS for less than 7k a month.

You do not need to live 1hr away from your destination or out of the city.

Sukhumvit 71....aka Prakanong area?

I used to stay in Suk 71, Soi 42 and I could walk to the BTS in around 15 minutes. Taxi / mototaxi in just a couple of mins. Nothing wrong with the soi I stayed in. Quite a nice place. Don't know about Soi 34 though.

Rajaprop Mansion. Near victory monument which has a BTS stop that connects to Asok for work. Place is within your budget and even has a pool. Very old and shitty building but that is what your budget offers I am affriad. The area around Victory Monument is very lively too. Soi Rangnam is also good. You are not far from either one.

There's nothing wrong with Ratchaprarop Tower Mansion. It's not classy but it's a perfectly fine place to stay.

Rooms aren't super modern but spacious enough for the price with all mod cons and no real issues with them.

Has everything you need on site like a pool, gym, bar, 2 restaurant, mini mart, laundry etc.

I think rooms start at 4,900B (not sure what size that gets you but check the website) but that doesn't include rental of fridge, TV, sofa, matress & pillows so price will be more like 6.5k if you take the 4.9k room. You get free WiFi with contracts of more than 4 months though.

Decent enough location too, BTS in walking distance, airport link a stones throw away, everything you need round about.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 2

Hi there,

I have a decent appartment on rama 9 road, lumpini condo, huay khwang, its right next to MRT, shopping malls and departmental stores. I would seriously advice you to increase your budget because if you rent a cheap apartment which may suit your budget, you would land up paying more at the end of every month, if you do your calculations properly as the transportation costs, traffic jams and time waisted while commuting will eventually sum up to be more than cost of a decent apartment rental near bts, srt or mrt.

You need to decide if your schedule in bkk is time bound and have a script schedule wherein you cant afford to waste time or if you have loads of time and energy for commuting.

Its again your personal description. I pay around 17 k for apartment and another 2km 4 electricity, pretty decent, value for money, friendly staff, neat and clean with gym, pool and sona. Have intercom, taxi on call, bike service, 10 baht shuttle to rama9 and thailand cultural centre stations. Have 711, coffee shop, basketball court and big garden downstairs.

Its pretty neat and tidy here and i am completely satisfied , the only this i dislike is that i am tied up in a contract for an year and deposited 45k , rest allz well.n

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

yeah dont listen to these people trashing you OP. you got some tips so check them out. Go as high as possible in your budget though. I agree with those who advise that. the advise on travels hassles is good also

I would try and get as far away from mrt/bts as possible that a moto ride would take care of so you can get the best place for the money. good that you know about the electric scam

Edited by Nana Cowboy
  • Like 1

Thanks to you people now I have a handful of locations to visit and compare. I'll be in Thailand on 22 August and I'll start the search immediately. I'll write a review of all the places I visit and let everyone know.

Still open to suggestions though.

Your list will be difficult to meet, but if you give a little on location you may have some luck. Get a map of the BTS/MRT to determine where your possibilities are then investigate the location as to crime, etc. Expect to use motorcycle taxi and or songtau to get to the BTS.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone who helped me with their comments. Sorry to see some people just wanna offend others, however they can!

I'm not gonna waste my time answering everything I hear! I have lots of other things to do! wink.png So good luck finding another thread! biggrin.png