How much do u spend for a good life in Thailand.

I love "What do you spend" threads... very interesting to see how people spend their money. Very helpful to know what can be done without much money. For what it is worth, I save 50% of what I earn after taxes. But everybody rolls a different way.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP is gone.

He is now realising (too late) that his beloved wife has spanked him in more than one way and is now embarrassed and having a massive anxiety attack.

Poor op.

Wake up mate, your wife is shafting you when it should be the other way round!

Seriesly, what is wrong with u ?

READ the thread before u post!!!

I have posted at least 3 times, and people continues to say "where is the OP, the op is gone etc etc"

My wife cost me approximately 5-6k baht per month, for me not a lot of money.

I dont know what kind of cheap charlie bitch u are.

// Chris.

He is probably changing dirty diapers and lamenting all that disposable income will now be disposed of by the creature in the diaper. His sleep, independence, fun and money are all a thing of the past.sad.png

And/or reflecting on fun hypotheticals like, gee, if I had just saved a measly 10k/mo for the past 3 years, I would have a nice little baby birthing (or whatever) emergency fund right now vs. taking a hit on the monthly income all at once. facepalm.gif

Oh sorry, did i forget to mention that i save about 50k baht/month ?

Have more than enough for any kind of emergency.

I think many have misunderstood the point of this thread, this is not a "please help me, i need to lower my costs-thread".

This was simply a thread about getting more for every satang and me being curious about others spendnings.

// Chris.

Are you spending or is your wife? Are you 'taking care' of an extended family?

100k way too much for simple living even with a child.

Someone's spending cash? Is it you and if its your money why is it in your wife's bank account?

ok the OP didn't say simple living. He said "good life". The cheapos will say 15K per month but thats not good living

• Like 1

I love "What do you spend" threads... very interesting to see how people spend their money. Very helpful to know what can be done without much money. For what it is worth, I save 50% of what I earn after taxes. But everybody rolls a different way.

i prefer to save 76%, fortunately i don't pay any taxes.

I used to spend 150K per month in Bangkok and I am a Miser with a capital M. I mean like I'm the guy who drinks 6 beers b4 going into the bar then ordering a beer and nursing it or buying water. I NEVER eat out at restaurants. When I say never I mean never. My rent was a killer at 53K per month for a very nice place. I include travel to the US every 2 or 3 years and buying whatever I want at the supermarket. Visa run trips need to be factored in. A month is a long time and money gets spent even if you're a miser like I am. Now I pay zero rent and own a car and truck with a wife and no kids. So I'm down to 100K per month. Just take off my rent from before. Can't do it for under 100K for this miser. No way no how but I dont live in a box. I live in a mansion now so thats good as I pay no rent. whatever room I'm in has AC on 24/7. I wont live in a sweat box. Ah I can feel that AC right now. That costs me 3000 for electric per month. Just travel alone per year adds 25K to the budget easily but included in that 100K

Edited by Nana Cowboy

Op I live in Australia which isn't a cheap country with my wife and baby. We don't spend anywhere near what you do living in Thailand and we live comfortably our ages are 38 if that helps scope things a bit. We just got back from holiday there, my brother his gf my sister and my mum came for 3 weeks, I don't think all of us put together spent much more than the amount you mentioned in that time and that's hotels and the girls going shopping included. Either your living in real luxury or just spending without much care. Moneys hard to earn easy to spend. In the village, 10k a week is plenty for us but the house is already paid for. We opened a joint bank account and put money in there to save. Its easy when you can't touch it and really adds up quick.

Good luck!

Oh and also I spend far more here than in the USA. I own(ed) my residences in both places but goods and services are Wayyyy cheaper in the US which makes the cost of living in Thailand far more expensive. OK I know I can rent a sweatbox in Pattaya or ON Nut for 5000 and pay 6000 for electric with AC on 24/7 but believe me I cant and wont live in that box. I wont live on street food for every meal either

• Like 2

Depends on what you consider a good life? I lived in Singapore for 25 years before coming to live in Thailand and my standard of living increased dramatically for a lot less money. My company pays my rent and provides a car, but that is only about Bht100k/month. Then my wife and I spend another Bht150k-Bht200k/month on food, drink and the nippers school fees. All together, about 1/3 of what I spent in Singapore monthly. But to be expected.

dude the cost of living in Singapore rapes ya

1 month is 50k

1 month can be 70k

had months of 150k

I am a miserable sod and cant have a good life cos i dont know how to enjoy myself.I think about money all the time,and get realy jealous when somebody spends 10,000 in a go-go bar,seeing the faces of them beautiful girls makes me so depressed.

Its a realy hard life in Thailand when one has to keep up with the middle class wannabees,and to have a good life is never going happen to me.

Oh and also I spend far more here than in the USA. I own(ed) my residences in both places but goods and services are Wayyyy cheaper in the US which makes the cost of living in Thailand far more expensive. OK I know I can rent a sweatbox in Pattaya or ON Nut for 5000 and pay 6000 for electric with AC on 24/7 but believe me I cant and wont live in that box. I wont live on street food for every meal either

Really? you can get a hour long oil massage for $7-10 in the US? Where? I am just curious where you lived in the US. My rent or mortgage costs alone in the US covers my entire monthly expenses in Thailand. My over head dropped 66% living in Thailand. Also all I eat is grasshoppers.

Edited by NCC1701A

Really? you can get a hour long oil massage for $7-10 in the US? Where? I am just curious where you lived in the US. My rent or mortgage costs alone in the US covers my entire monthly expenses in Thailand. My over head dropped 66% living in Thailand. Also all I eat is grasshoppers.

I owned my home in the NYC metro area. I could get my groceries for next to nothing with specials and coupons. Goods = dirt cheap. utilities equal. taxes not bad but more in USA but cost of goods more than offset that. no interest in getting massages

Edited by Nana Cowboy

Thailand isn't cheap.

Try buying a pint of Guinness or a leg of lamb from Foodland.

RAZZ

I think this post sort of highlights one of the main differences between the big budgets/small budgets.

A lot of people want things from home such as lamb and Guinness. Sure enough, those things are very expensive here. When you want those comforts your monthly expenses will be much larger. For those that have the money and are willing to spend it, why not? Nothing wrong with that.

Some people are happy living on Thai food, Thai booze, living in Thai neighborhoods etc. and live quite happily on a smaller budget. Nothing wrong with that either.

At the end of the day, it's each individual's business what they do with their money, there's no right or wrong way about it.

I have to disagree on the lamb. It's cheaper here than in Australia where a lot of it comes from... 1 kg rack of chilled (not frozen) fat trimmed or Frenched" as they call them, Australian lamb cutlets in Makro around 750 baht. The same 1kg of cutlets in Woolworths Supermarket (or Coles) in Sydney, around 1200 Baht. I do love my lamb.

I owned my home in the NYC metro area. I could get my groceries for next to nothing with specials and coupons. Goods = dirt cheap. utilities equal. taxes not bad but more in USA but cost of goods more than offset that. no interest in getting massages

The most important thing you, and the majority of people when calculating their living costs, forget is that when you own a house or a car you still have to calculate the value of that property in your living costs. If you hadn't invested the money in the house, you would have invested it elsewhere, which would earn you an income.

When you own a car all paid for, you will still have to pay a lump sum in x year to replace it.

• Like 1

The most important thing you, and the majority of people when calculating their living costs, forget is that when you own a house or a car you still have to calculate the value of that property in your living costs. If you hadn't invested the money in the house, you would have invested it elsewhere, which would earn you an income.

When you own a car all paid for, you will still have to pay a lump sum in x year to replace it.

You can look at the house in another way. It is an asset after all. When we moved here along with our business we purchased a house and paid cash for it and some additions. This gave us an asset that was fully owned and could be used as security for an overdraft facility at our bank in the company name. That overdraft was used to generate profit for the company. The interest paid on the overdraft is tax deductable. End result is we have a home with no personal mortgage payments and an asset that is generating income. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thailand isn't cheap.

RAZZ

I think this post sort of highlights one of the main differences between the big budgets/small budgets.

A lot of people want things from home such as lamb and Guinness. Sure enough, those things are very expensive here. When you want those comforts your monthly expenses will be much larger. For those that have the money and are willing to spend it, why not? Nothing wrong with that.

Some people are happy living on Thai food, Thai booze, living in Thai neighborhoods etc. and live quite happily on a smaller budget. Nothing wrong with that either.

At the end of the day, it's each individual's business what they do with their money, there's no right or wrong way about it.

I have to disagree on the lamb. It's cheaper here than in Australia where a lot of it comes from... 1 kg rack of chilled (not frozen) fat trimmed or Frenched" as they call them, Australian lamb cutlets in Makro around 750 baht. The same 1kg of cutlets in Woolworths Supermarket (or Coles) in Sydney, around 1200 Baht. I do love my lamb.

Foodland 3 weeks ago. Frozen leg of NZ lamb 1350 baht.

Tin of heinz beans....135 baht = best part of £3!!! "About" 70 pence in the UK.

post-22947-0-82645400-1375293221_thumb.j

Edited by RAZZELL

Rent a simple 2 bed Thai house 10,000 per month

Eat Thai food at local Thai resturants 10,000 per month

Tesco shopping and other misc expenses 10,000 per month

I live a comfortable good life for 30,000 per month

NB Don't smoke or drink and have professional Thai partner who contributes

I didn't come to Thailand to try to mimik my lifestyle in the old country

Yeh, I am just under 30,000 baht a month, I agree with above poster, I did not want to replicate my "old" life due to the fact I don't have the funds to do it BUT my life is comfy, don't work, eat great food, play weekly golf , movies etc, I don't go to bars or chase girls. Great life for small money.smile.png

Thailand isn't cheap.

RAZZ

I have to disagree on the lamb. It's cheaper here than in Australia where a lot of it comes from... 1 kg rack of chilled (not frozen) fat trimmed or Frenched" as they call them, Australian lamb cutlets in Makro around 750 baht. The same 1kg of cutlets in Woolworths Supermarket (or Coles) in Sydney, around 1200 Baht. I do love my lamb.

Foodland 3 weeks ago. Frozen leg of NZ lamb 1350 baht.

Tin of heinz beans....135 baht = best part of £3!!! "About" 70 pence in the UK.

I think you need to start shopping at Makro! NZ boned lamb shoulder 240 Baht a kg, legs of NZ lamb 280 Baht kg everyday. Unless Foodlands leg of lamb weighed over 7kg it was a rip off.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are living as expat are 21 years old and didn't realized that you are spending around 120k baht every month in the last three years because you never checked you passbook?

You must be a a lottery winner, bank robber or a son of wealthy parents who didn't spend their money to educate you. Or this is just a senseless fun thread

You are living as expat are 21 years old and didn't realized that you are spending around 120k baht every month in the last three years because you never checked you passbook?

You must be a a lottery winner, bank robber or a son of wealthy parents who didn't spend their money to educate you. Or this is just a senseless fun thread

Depends on what he does for a living. I know people living in Thailand and in their twenties that work in the offshore oil industry and make USD$1,000+ per day. Same goes for Aussie friends in Bangkok working in banking and finance (company transfer to Thailand), they earn around 400,000 Baht+ per Month with allowances. I think a lot of the posters on this forum are retired and living on fixed incomes. It is a whole different world here for people that are working (except for English teachers, their salaries appear to be very low)

• Like 1

He is probably changing dirty diapers and lamenting all that disposable income will now be disposed of by the creature in the diaper. His sleep, independence, fun and money are all a thing of the past.sad.png

And/or reflecting on fun hypotheticals like, gee, if I had just saved a measly 10k/mo for the past 3 years, I would have a nice little baby birthing (or whatever) emergency fund right now vs. taking a hit on the monthly income all at once. facepalm.gif

Oh sorry, did i forget to mention that i save about 50k baht/month ?

Have more than enough for any kind of emergency.

I think many have misunderstood the point of this thread, this is not a "please help me, i need to lower my costs-thread".

This was simply a thread about getting more for every satang and me being curious about others spendnings.

// Chris.

50k/mo contingency fund. thumbsup.gif

My apolgies, Chris. Your OP did give the impression you are not paying attention and woke up when baby came.

One area we adjusted is using local market venues (night/weekend, etc) vs. hitting Tesco/Makro once a week. I haven't gone native by any means, but have migrated to a lot of domestic staples vs. seeking out a lot of farang items. It wasn't about money really, just sorta happened. The shift in venue and frequency has, on average, increased unprogrammed monthly surplus from 15k/mo to 20-25k, depending on what's going on.

Only you two can sit down and identify your current spending habits, then maybe agree on areas to adjust.

Congratulations on your new arrival. Good luck and health to the 3 of you.

J

oh absolutely you are 100% about that. The scary thing is that the price of autos in Thailand is way way out there so that cost does need to be factored in and makes the monthly costs higher. Of course Thailand auto buying is insanely in the stratosphere compared to the USA. $20,000 gets you a low end junk Toyota if you're lucky, Glad you brought up this important cost

Now that's funny! (The last sentence).

• Like 1

oh absolutely you are 100% about that. The scary thing is that the price of autos in Thailand is way way out there so that cost does need to be factored in and makes the monthly costs higher. Of course Thailand auto buying is insanely in the stratosphere compared to the USA. $20,000 gets you a low end junk Toyota if you're lucky, Glad you brought up this important cost

Don't forget the resale value here is much higher also. At least for now!