Samui Internet: "the Board Is Full" ?

Looks like I will have to wait this one out :o

3-4 weeks is not an unresonable wait time..

My first phone line was from ToT, ordered as an ISDN line.

After 2 month of waiting they came to install the cable and informed me that ISDN was not available in my area..

Ok, having a 56k modem line was at least better than running to the internet cafe's every day.

Then around a year and a half ago, after having pestered them for a year about getting ISDN, I was told that I could get ADSL from them "Real Soon Now".

Did the application and asked about the time schedule. Next month..

A month later I phoned them and asked when they would come. Next month..

5 month later and still no ADSL, I cancelled my ToT line and replaced it with a TT&T line.

They promised ADSL within a month..

It took them a month and a half which I think is ok considering I had waited a year for the ToT ISDN and another 5 month for the ADSL.

BattyBatty, I guess they will soon be able to deliver ADSL in your area as well.

Keep in mind that the telephone system here is old and they have to install new equipment in the

exchange station for each new area that gets ADSL. Sometimes they have to make new feeds to the area as well.

ADSL is a young technology in Thailand, even more in Samui.

It takes time to cover all areas and the most populated gets it first.

I'm near Lotus on the Chaweng main road and we got it a year ago..

Lol, im not on the island at the moment.

I dont realy mind various problems regarding phone lines/adsl on the Island, i understand the problems with infastructure etc... what pisses me a little is the lack of clear info. How/where/when to get a phone line coupled with how/where/when to get adsl, plus the matrix of TOT adsl areas and TT&T adsl areas... changes all the time. You could enquire with these guys on Monday, and be told something very, very different on Tuesday. Either way, 3 months later you probably still wont have it.

Waiting is not a problem - its waiting in the knowledge that the end result will be probably be contradictory from what you have been initialy promised. usuing common sense to figure it all out, such a simple task as asking TT&T or TOT to show you a map of coverage is a mission. i once told them that i would go and look for a house to rent in any area they would describe as TT&T friendly, and they couldnt. They could only tell me with a phone number. So i would go off house hunting for a house with phone.... after 300K's buzzing around all day on a bike for 3 days days i found a few, but none of them adsl friendly. I remember once finding a house with a line. Guy didnt know the number, and the house had no handset. I suggested I go and get a handset, and dial my mobile to reveal the number, which i did. 15 K's to my firends house to borrow a phone, and 15 k's back. Plugged in the phone, no dial tone? "Aaaah" he says. "Phone line not work, i have to get company switch on" For me, stuff like this was daily just trying to sort all of this out. A clear indication of time to install does not exist, so using the old Thai trait of 'guessing' prevails. They dont realy know how long it will take, so they guess. Thing is, surely they should know how long it takes?

Using your example, it took aprox 3 years to get a quick connection. Thats a complete joke. As i said before, i have learnt to take it easy and take stuff like this on the chin, but three years would wind the hel_l outa me.

Out of interest LOL - what did your dial up run as? I used it once at home before i got sattalite, and it ran off 9Kbps. Obviously this is unusable. When i am back, a house with a phone line and humble dial up would be fine for me, if it ran off 56Kbps - but it dosent run that quick in Samui, does it?

All in all, i found the whole experience of getting a phone line/adsl in any area of Samui a complete joke. Wasted so much time and effort. Maybe other people had better experiences.

My experiance is that the staff at TT&T are next to useless. i have just moved into a house with a phone line i have tried to upgrade to asdl but the only responce i get is owner before have to come with you. they do not seem to comprhend that the previous tenants have left Samui. so i can use the line to run up a bill as much as i like but i cannot add asdl to it. doing my flipping head in.

Gahhhh.

Another internet thread by me, so sorry :o

So I just moved here from Bangkok yesterday. I found a wonderful brand new 1 bedroom house in mainam and really liked it. After speaking with the owner she told me that I could get internet in about 2 weeks, possible 3 weeks due to the holidays approching us.

My girlfriend confirmed that the neighboor had DSL so I knew that it was available in this area.

So I go have a visit to the dsl shop outside of Tesco and they tell me 3 weeks to get the phone line, THEN maybe TWO MONTHS for internet because "THe board is full in mae nam"

This is going to be a problem for me. I work on the net so I really cant wait that long. Can anyone confirm that it takes this long?

Also, what about those prepaid cards you can buy once you have a phone line, are those dsl speeds? Seems like it will just be dial up speeds to me but im not sure.

What about EDGE? I no little about it, bu apparently it is a 'wireless anywhere' type thing....data card that slots into your USB port and recieves at around 100Kbps. 15K to buy, 650 per month to run.

Any insight into this anyone?

Available on Samui or not?

How fast are you getting international traffic?

How long did it take them to install?

I will call them asap if they can install it fast.

Unless you have some high powered wireless gear I dont think it would reach me. I would like to bring some buffalo antennas to samui though. Then I cant point it at starbucks and use my own signal while drinking a decent cup of coffee :o ( maybe I just need a coffee pot)

poorfarang,

how about using the services of the IT Center in Lamai? A bit down the road but wireless at reasonable rates.

Batty,

IN PLai Laem ADSL is available now. It wasn't easy to get it but I'm glad it's installed now. With TT&T. Grew a few grey hairs to get it sorted though.