Does anyone know what part of Chiang Mai Marc Farber lives in?

NCC1701A

I really must get out of my cave more often. Who is Marc Farber and, more importantly, why should I care?

You should care - he is none other than Chiang Mai's own Goldfinger...

Well, he'd better hope that Bond, James Bond doesn't show up here. You know what happened the last time.

David

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several months ago, they had Faber on CNBC, and replayed his bold doomsday predictions of the last five years. He couldn't have been more wrong.

Now I know who you mean - predicted 6 of the last 2 recessions if I'm correct.

Several months ago, they had Faber on CNBC, and replayed his bold doomsday predictions of the last five years. He couldn't have been more

Double post

Edited by Konini

Several months ago, they had Faber on CNBC, and replayed his bold doomsday predictions of the last five years. He couldn't have been more wrong.

Now I know who you mean - predicted 6 of the last 2 recessions if I'm correct.

you mean being right but being early simply means that you are wrongw00t.gif

I like Marc. Get his newsletter and it's always an interesting read and thought provoking. I subscribed after seeing him at the clsa forum around 10 years ago. If you get a chance he did a pretty interesting interview on cnbc i think it was on Asian women, it was highly entertaining. Some part of me also has a bit of respect for a man rocking a pony tail whilst being completely bald on top.

OB

No, meaning he has been completely bearish since dow 8000; and now it's close to 18,000. But, yes, people who continuously predict doom and gloom are eventually right. He also called for gold to be up 30% this year....

Yes. He and Jim Rogers are birds of a feather but somewhat entertaining at least and provide some balance to the cnbc cheerleaders. Rogers has been a massive China bull for 10 years and been dead wrong until this year. Still a billionaire though....Fabers gold call was horrific but it think it was more personal between himself and Bernanke

OB

I don't think he could carry Professor Roger's jockstrap. George Soros might be a better comparison. Both would jump into bed with Hillary (or Bill) if they had a chance. Less cheer-leading on Bloomberg, and it's free.

I knew, and often photographed, a Marc Faber in Hongkong in the nineties. He was a financial industry expert whose nickname was Dr Doom because he took a much more realistic, pragmatic view of the markets than that of many of his more excitable, manipulative colleagues. Might be the same guy?

Yes the same man Dr Mark Faber the contrarian investor.

The Mark Faber the investor is 68

His market opinions, and that is what they are, more than paid for our 5 star wedding in 2009, when he called the bottom in the market. I was selling puts as the market was dropping and had acquired oodles of a mining stock that went from 47 down to 3, and then wrote covered calls as it went back up to 60. He is the first to say that no one can time the market, but he is very skilled at seeing the macro global picture. Must be doing something right to have 300 USD million under management.

Actually, if anything, the opposite is the case. His grasp of macroeconomics is clearly defective. He's been predicting hyperinflation since 2009. That is not the mark of a man who understands macro. And his portfolio has been underperforming the markets for the last several years, too. It's nice that his call worked out well for you, and I understand your gratitude, but he's been no benefactor to his investors for several years now.

His market opinions, and that is what they are, more than paid for our 5 star wedding in 2009, when he called the bottom in the market. I was selling puts as the market was dropping and had acquired oodles of a mining stock that went from 47 down to 3, and then wrote covered calls as it went back up to 60. He is the first to say that no one can time the market, but he is very skilled at seeing the macro global picture. Must be doing something right to have 300 USD million under management.

Actually, if anything, the opposite is the case. His grasp of macroeconomics is clearly defective. He's been predicting hyperinflation since 2009. That is not the mark of a man who understands macro. And his portfolio has been underperforming the markets for the last several years, too. It's nice that his call worked out well for you, and I understand your gratitude, but he's been no benefactor to his investors for several years now.

Yes, but when asked when it will happen, he is the first to say he has no idea, maybe in 5 years, maybe in 10. No one can predict anything with certainty, and those that say they can are shrills. Most hedgefunds have bad years, does not mean he does not know what he is doing. Look at his Barron round table picks and you will see he was in the top for many years. I would hate to be a fund manager, as soon as there are a few poor years the weak say they do not know what they are doing and pull out. Wrong type of investment attitude in my opinion.

I invest heavily in silver, and its been down for the past few years, so does that mean its a poor investment? For me, no, as my timeline for the trade is 30 years plus, so I look at it as selling at a discount, and will continue to accumulate small amounts on a regular basis. Some one asked, how do you eat an elephant? In small bites, one at a time.

So, as long as he doesn't put a date on his predictions, he can only be proved right and never be proved wrong?

Marc Farber lives in Linda's bar...it's on Loy Kroh.

A number of years ago I heard that he lived on a soi off the CM-Lamphun Rd. near the the Gymkhana Club.

Ah, good choice. Very close to the city center, but still a very local 'Chiang Mai' area without the worst of the tourist stuff.

Only issue is that it floods every 5 years or so. ;) But who knows, that may be getting less, too.

A number of years ago I heard that he lived on a soi off the CM-Lamphun Rd. near the the Gymkhana Club.

Ah, good choice. Very close to the city center, but still a very local 'Chiang Mai' area without the worst of the tourist stuff.

Only issue is that it floods every 5 years or so. ;) But who knows, that may be getting less, too.

I heard he has one of the best collection of Mao era art and collectibles on earth. His newsletter costs a fairly punchy US$500 a year and I imagine he has a decent following so I think he would have a decent pad. Like I said, I like him and like his perspectives. He doesn't sit on the fence and I admire that.

OB

Only issue is that it floods every 5 years or so. wink.png But who knows, that may be getting less, too.

I heard he has one of the best collection of Mao era art and collectibles on earth. His newsletter costs a fairly punchy US$500 a year and I imagine he has a decent following so I think he would have a decent pad. Like I said, I like him and like his perspectives. He doesn't sit on the fence and I admire that.

OB

To me, he's like a preacher who vehemently preaches that Jesus is coming soon and gets to condemn all sorts of nonbelievers. But when you ask that preacher when is "soon? he becomes strangely reticent. So, basically, he's there to provide entertainment and uplift for believers. But when it comes to putting his predictions on the line, there's nothing there.

Only issue is that it floods every 5 years or so. wink.png But who knows, that may be getting less, too.

OB

To me, he's like a preacher who vehemently preaches that Jesus is coming soon and gets to condemn all sorts of nonbelievers. But when you ask that preacher when is "soon? he becomes strangely reticent. So, basically, he's there to provide entertainment and uplift for believers. But when it comes to putting his predictions on the line, there's nothing there.

That's life thought right? Entertainment? I get his newsletter. I like ie reading it while drinking coffee. He has some interesting ideas. I'm a mass consumer of media so I love it along with bits and pieces from clsa. I read as many viewpoints as I can and if I can get it 60% right I think I'm doing ok. I like how enlightened he is and I like his view (whether I think it is right or wrong?)

OB

11th April 2014 "US stocks will fall 30%in the next 12 Months"

30th April 2014 "A crash is coming in the next 12 months"

30 July 2014 "expects stocks to drop by 20-30% by October"

Quotes with dates attached from his blog.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, LolaS said:

WOW, whole tread on Marc Weber, I would like to know if he predicted this market rise under Trump and what is his opinion on crypto currencies.

I know people who have talked to him in person, down at Linda's bar on Loi Kroh.  That was two years ago and I don't know if he hangs out down there anymore.

He likes to flirt and talk to the ladies.  Assuming your avatar is a current picture of you, I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about the market, cryptocurrencies, etc. 

Edited by mesquite

12 hours ago, LolaS said:

WOW, whole tread on Marc Weber, I would like to know if he predicted this market rise under Trump and what is his opinion on crypto currencies.

Don't think he predicted anything economic.   He is a retired F1 driver.

His main base is now in Bangkok but he does still have a place in the Gymkhana area....his wife also has land in Mae Rim.

Never met the guy but have spoken to his wife on many occassions.... she is a very lively and funny lady,

22 hours ago, mesquite said:

I know people who have talked to him in person, down at Linda's bar on Loi Kroh.  That was two years ago and I don't know if he hangs out down there anymore.

He likes to flirt and talk to the ladies.  Assuming your avatar is a current picture of you, I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about the market, cryptocurrencies, etc. 

but he is married

On 6/15/2015 at 10:19 AM, bangmai said:

Faber readily and often admits that he is a terrible market timer (Jim Rogers says the same thing), but that hasn't stopped both of them from worth listening to.  When gold went to $1,900 an ounce he (and Rogers, too) said it would be healthy for it to correct to 1,000 or 1,100.  No one else way saying that.  And they were right.  
He was also right about the tech bubble, although he did get out several years before the bubble burst.