Visa about to run out - Need advice please.

I'm leaving Thailand on the 30th of November. So far I have been here for 3 weeks. I arrived on the 7th of July.

For some stupid reason, I just assumed I could apply for an extended visa while in Thailand...

So I'm in the situation of only having just over a week left on my 1 month stay, then I must get a new visa.

I am planning to go vietnam mid septemeber where I could apply for a longer visa there, so I'm wondering if until that time, should I do some boarder runs for the limited 15 day entry, or should I go to phnom penh before my current visa expires and apply for an extended visa while I'm there?

Few questions:

if I decide to do the 15 day boarder runs. What is the total estimated cost from BKK or pattaya

If I apply for a longer visa in pnom penh, what is the total estimates cost...

What is the best route to pnom penh? Bus, train?

If anyone can give me exacts on which bus/trains ect to go from, it would be much appreciated.

You appear to have a 30 day visa exempt entry - to obtain tourist visa allowing 60 day stay which can be extended 30 days normally requires 4 days in Cambodia so most people visit Laos to obtain unless have other reason to stay in Cambodia as in Laos it is next workday afternoon service. Cost of tourist visa is 1,000 baht

Cost of travel/15 day visa exempt stamp trips from Bangkok/Pattaya is in the 2,000-2,500 baht range using all inclusive service.

There is no train service in Cambodia. Bus/van is normal travel.

• Like 1

Okay, thank you.

To travel from Bangkok to Vientiane, there is a rail service, correct? If so, how does it compare to a bus route. Pricing, time ect. I would ideally like an overnight trip.

Edit*

So to my understanding I have 2 options, excluding plane.

Bus - Take bus from all the way to Vientiane. Bus will stop and wait at immigration then continue on.

Train: BKK Hua Langpong station - Nong khai - Thanaleng transtion - Laos immigation - Tuk Tuk to Vientiane.

Anyone have thoughts on which better option?

Edited by bhthai

you wanted to stay till nov.and it seems that you are more concerned about cost,you have only been here just over 3weeks,dont try the impossible visa's and travelling exs.will soon mount up.if you dont have the money go home,this is not the place to be without money.

• Like 1

Bangkok to Vientiane for Thai Visa there are a few places that advertise the full service, notice one place is with the big bus the others by Mini bus......... looks to be about 6,000 baht, with all Visa's and hotel.....

I have been but hate the long wait at the crossing and at the Thai Embassy........... Myself find it easy to go to Savannakhet,... no waiting at boarder, no waiting in line at Thai Consulate.... again myself go VIP bus = 1,600 return, save about 400 baht and go 1st class ? guess cheaper ones as well......... depends where you are from ? myself the Laos Visa is 1,550 baht,or pay in $ = 35 US $ = 1.007 baht a few months ago.. catch the bus from Bus station to Savannakhet 45 baht........... just a note from Savannakhet Bus Station to Thai Consulate = 60 baht by Tuk Tuk........ Border to Thai Consulate = 60 baht, so not worth going past the border on the big bus... I have been a few times, no one has ever been in front of me at Laos Visa window

where I stay cost 25 US $ per night. so total trip using VIP Bus = under 7,000 baht and that is with a double Visa, so single entry would be 6,000 baht... all transport, hotel, food and visia's.......... Guess cheaper Bus and cheaper Hotel is 5,000 baht or less

EDIT: another option, ​You could fly somewhere and coming back in get 30 day, believe KL cost about 4,000 baht return flight, catch a flight back after you have Malaysian Immigration stamp, so no need to spend more than an hours at the airport.. the extra days before going to Vietnam you could go to Cambodia boarder........ cheaper by yourself, but all in organized Visa day trip is around 1,900 baht.

Edited by ignis

Money is not an issue, I would rather just not spend an unecessary amount. As I know instances like these are where tourists are often over charged.

I've looked up flights to Udon Thani and they're quite cheap. Around 1200 baht. So it's definitely a consideration.

- Thanks for your input ignis, that could be a possible solution if I decide not to get the plane.

It's hard to say no to the flights when they're only 800 more than the bus and it saves about 10 each travel time, each way. Though I guess there is extra cost from Udon Thani to Vientiene.

You could get the train from BKK. I know that 3rd class seating is 250THB, but I also heard that id is free!!! $35 for Lao visa and 1,000THB for Thai visa.

Other expenses are totally up to yourself.

djbarry

Depart : Bangkok (Don Mueang) To Mukdahan

Savannakhet you need to go to Mukdahan....... Nok Air do Flight + Bus to border......... Air Asia do flights to airports close by then you would need a 1 hour bus trip

you wanted to stay till nov.and it seems that you are more concerned about cost,you have only been here just over 3weeks,dont try the impossible visa's and travelling exs.will soon mount up.if you dont have the money go home,this is not the place to be without money.

This is the hard reality

Quite posative I will just get the flight to Udon Thani . Seems the most convienent route.

The only thing I'm not sure of now is if I should get the laos visa here in BKK, tonight - Or get it at the boarder.

I've heard some people say get it at the boarder as it's cheaper and doesn't take long, while others saying it can take hours....I guess it depends on the time.

As your focus of attention is on visa-coverage and money, can we assume that you have already arranged and put in place adequate health and travel insurance ?

Most travel policies are for a fixed duration, many annual polices limit a single trip (as defined by the dates between leaving/returning to your normal residence) to 60 or 90 days.

As Meatboy says Thailand is not a place to be without money - it is even less a place to be without travel/health insurance.

Money is not an issue, I would rather just not spend an unecessary amount. As I know instances like these are where tourists are often over charged.

I've looked up flights to Udon Thani and they're quite cheap. Around 1200 baht. So it's definitely a consideration.

- Thanks for your input ignis, that could be a possible solution if I decide not to get the plane.

It's hard to say no to the flights when they're only 800 more than the bus and it saves about 10 each travel time, each way. Though I guess there is extra cost from Udon Thani to Vientiene.

1200 baht each way +++. try going the next page when you get your total including taxes and fees

Pack all your stuff.

Get on a bus and go to Koh Kong.

Cross the border into Cambodia.

Get a one month business visa (or, whatever they call it now).

Get another bus to Sihanoukville.

Within one month, buy a one year visa for $290 USD.

Then, you never have to return to Thailand and their bs visa requirements,

• Like 1

Although I've never caught the bus before, Bangkok-Vientiane is 900 Baht, Suvarnabhumi Airport-Nong Khai is 450 Baht. However, for extra convenience and since you sound like a first time traveler to Laos I would strongly recommend forking out a few extra Baht for the Vientiane bus. After all, many travelers are scammed on the short taxi ride from the bridge into Vientiane which should cost around 200 Baht but is often quoted as 300 or more, hence I see little reason to save by going just to Nong Khai unless you are a seasoned traveler. However, the Bangkok-Vientiane bus only runs once daily although another option would be any bus from Bangkok to either Khon Kaen, Udon Thani or Nong Khai where you would change to a Vientiane bound bus (all these cities have multiple daily departures to Vientiane, from Khon Kaen 2 and from Udon around 4, from Nong Khai around 6 but maybe someone else will know the schedule better than I do).

Udon Thani to Vientiane is also an easy option - there are regular vans to the bridge from the airport costing 200 Baht per person or 900 Baht for a taxi. A cross border taxi may be an option but would be more expensive. I could also recommend using AVR Laos, but for US$115 (or equivalent in Kip or Baht) for an Udon Thani Airport to Vientiane pickup that might be a little too expensive for most people unless you have heavy luggage and can fill the car with passengers.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

if money is not the issue,yet the 4posts you made its all about costs and what is cheaper.

what you should be asking the easy'st way to do it as to save a lot of hassle,of course you can travel cheap but havent you read the stories of some of the bus services and what is a safe way traving in thailand.good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Quite posative I will just get the flight to Udon Thani . Seems the most convienent route.

The only thing I'm not sure of now is if I should get the laos visa here in BKK, tonight - Or get it at the boarder.

I've heard some people say get it at the boarder as it's cheaper and doesn't take long, while others saying it can take hours....I guess it depends on the time.

Much cheaper to pay for the Laos Visa in US $..........

Been twice to Vientiene getting passed Thai border Immigration and then getting the packed bus over to the Laos side and the 100's of people in front of you both time has take just under 3 hours.......... Likewise at the Vientiene Thai Embassy.both times packed with people........ = why I do not go any more as simple at Border and Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, but it is a small dead sort of place [8pm is a goust town], guess why so many go to Vientiene

Edit: Re Tomtomtom69, have read that the Bus will not wait for you, so if you did go with this route option maybe best to get a Visa before hand..

Edited by ignis

As your focus of attention is on visa-coverage and money, can we assume that you have already arranged and put in place adequate health and travel insurance ?

Most travel policies are for a fixed duration, many annual polices limit a single trip (as defined by the dates between leaving/returning to your normal residence) to 60 or 90 days.

As Meatboy says Thailand is not a place to be without money - it is even less a place to be without travel/health insurance.

It of course is always better to have travel insurance, at least accident insurance, which is quite cheap. However the cost of medical procedures in Thailand is quite reasonable if you have them done at Government Hospitals. I recently had a motorcycle accident and the cost including ambulance, medicines, three operations, xrays, and 8 days in the hospital was under ฿40,000. I then had to have a skin cancer tumor removed and the cost including one night stay at the hospital was under ฿7,000. I now have to have radiation treatment and the cost for 5 weekly treatments for 5-6 weeks will be under ฿25,000. These are affordable rates and about the same as some single year insurance policies cost. Just remember to avoid the over rated over priced private hospitals.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bus - Take bus from all the way to Vientiane. Bus will stop and wait at immigration then continue on.

Train: BKK Hua Langpong station - Nong khai - Thanaleng transtion - Laos immigation - Tuk Tuk to Vientiane.

Hi - this response is more for assisting in turning a visa run to Viantiane into a pleasant experience, as well as describing the ease I had in making the trip, getting the actual visa, and making the most of Viantiane.

There are some trips where everything seems to go just right, and I really needed a relaxing break like this. I had no problems with long queues, tricky people, or anything else.

I went to Hua Langpong in the morning to get a 1st class for that evening train (departs 20.00). You don’t have to buy early – but it is safer. The 2nd-class, air-conditioned lower bunks would be my second option. I could have bought the ticket and even boarded at Bang Su (closer for me), or Bang Sen, but the train was late departing and I was glad I was at Hua Langpong to pass the time and know what was going on.

The train ride was a kick. The dining car was a party with all kinds of good-natured falang and they had to kick us out at night.

At Nongkai, I paid 50 baht to the border. They will take you by an agency trying to sell you a visa package. Just say no and that you “have a friend already at the border waiting for you” or something like that.

I forgot my photo for the Lao visa, and the guy didn’t care. I paid US $35 for the Lao visa. It is good to have small US currency, but they made change for me with no hassle.

On the Lao side, people were offering the ride into Vientiane for 300 and 500 baht. I just got on a bus and paid like 40 baht.

At the Vientiane bus station I paid a tuk-tuk 50 baht to take me to the river and down a bit.

To help orient myself, my GPS worked on my iPhone without any service running. And later, I realised that my Thai DTAC and 3G worked in Vientiane along the river and about a block in – so I never bought a SIM card. (I had to re-boot the phone to make it work.)

The tuk-tuks settle on 10,000 kip (40 baht) for short trips except late at night. All the way to the Thai Visa place cost me 40,000 kip (160 baht). (**Be sure you don’t go to the Thai Embassy – that’s not the place to go; look on a map for the visa services place.)

I went to the visa place too late on the day after a four-day weekend. On top of that, I was a little worried because I have a ton of tourist visas in my passport, so I paid the guy in the tent outside extra to process it for me (and I didn't want to come back). I have used him before and I also read on blogs that he has a good reputation. He had my passport and visa delivered to my hotel exactly the time he said he would. His name is Mr. Oun, and tel no. 020 5567 9810 (+856 20 5567 9810).

Doing it all yourself (1000/2000 baht for single/double entry), be sure that you go early and get a number as fast as possible, and bring along something to read. Then go back the next afternoon.

I splurged a little and stayed at the Beau Rivage about a km down from the action on the river to the right. It came with a free breakfast at the Spirit House next door, which is an excellent place to chill out and watch the sunset across the river from their deck. It also came with a free bicycle, which is really handy in Vientiane (especially at night because you don’t have to deal with the tuk-tuks). Other places I looked at costs around $20 per night - and they were fine.

I didn’t run into any of the ‘bad falangs’ like the "experienced" senior TV.com posters warn you about – who are afraid to even acknowledge these possible low forms of life. Instead, I ended up with a great group from France, the U.S, Ireland, UK, Ireland and Canada – and we all started making the Jazzy Brick our meeting place for “aperitifs”, and hitting the main sites during the daytime together.

The Jazzy Brick is near the Nam Phou Fountain, and the manager, Na, is full of information about the city and the country. The bar/restaurant next to the fountain is very popular, called the Khop Chai Due, but has some of the worst Thai food that I have ever had, and the other dishes looked like crap, too. But it is great place to experience with its big open-air bar, pretty staff, and can get very crowded and loud. If you are going to eat local, eat noodles, but not here.

I got my return ticket to Udon Thani for 260 baht. They pick you up at the hotel, run you to the International Bus, make sure you get across into Thailand okay, and then run you to the Udon bus station.

I got this ticket at the travel agent on the soi that has Wat Mixay on one end, and a big, concrete Chinese arch on the river end, and was next to DD something. Next to that was a bar with decent food and pool table and called The City Bar. The owner there also treated us like family by the end of the week and never accepted money for the pool table.

There is a brand new Spanish tapa restaurant on the same soi I believe, called the Pimentón. It is run by Regina and she is a blast – especially for those who habla el español.

The other great meeting place was the Belgian-run ChokDee bar, which has around 170 kinds of beer, run by Vincent. Just ask him his favourite Belgian beer, and you will be surprised how it tastes (it’s called Orval).

You can use Lao Kip, US Dollars and Thai Baht interchangeably. Take small notes. I was warned to not use the ATM’s too much as the Aussie owner of my hotel said that three of his customers lost their ATM cards in the machines in a single month. The banks hold them for three days, he said, but you have to go during business hours on a weekday to get it back.

I tell you all this just so you know how you can get into the flow of this place and explore (and again, I recommend a bike). I also did daytrips. The Beau Rivage owner uses a driver for prices much more reasonable than the daytrip agencies.

Most importantly, you don’t have to have anybody help you with your Thai visa or incur any extra expense if you don’t want.

I caught the last Nok Air flight from Udon back to Don Muang. The price you quoted above does not include the taxes and other charges.

I had some time, so I went into Udon to the market then ate at the soi between the Bus and train stations – the landmark is the Clock Tower pub. Even that was entertaining. But finally back to BKK and smoke, traffic and reality, but with a better frame of mind. Hope you have a good trip, too.

Hi - this response is more for assisting in turning a visa run to Viantiane into a pleasant experience, as well as describing the ease I had in making the trip, getting the actual visa, and making the most of Viantiane.

There are some trips where everything seems to go just right, and I really needed a relaxing break like this. I had no problems with long queues, tricky people, or anything else.

I went to Hua Langpong in the morning to get a 1st class for that evening train (departs 20.00). You don’t have to buy early – but it is safer. The 2nd-class, air-conditioned lower bunks would be my second option. I could have bought the ticket and even boarded at Bang Su (closer for me), or Bang Sen, but the train was late departing and I was glad I was at Hua Langpong to pass the time and know what was going on.

The train ride was a kick. The dining car was a party with all kinds of good-natured falang and they had to kick us out at night.

At Nongkai, I paid 50 baht to the border. They will take you by an agency trying to sell you a visa package. Just say no and that you “have a friend already at the border waiting for you” or something like that.

I forgot my photo for the Lao visa, and the guy didn’t care. I paid US $35 for the Lao visa. It is good to have small US currency, but they made change for me with no hassle.

On the Lao side, people were offering the ride into Vientiane for 300 and 500 baht. I just got on a bus and paid like 40 baht.

At the Vientiane bus station I paid a tuk-tuk 50 baht to take me to the river and down a bit.

To help orient myself, my GPS worked on my iPhone without any service running. And later, I realised that my Thai DTAC and 3G worked in Vientiane along the river and about a block in – so I never bought a SIM card. (I had to re-boot the phone to make it work.)

The tuk-tuks settle on 10,000 kip (40 baht) for short trips except late at night. All the way to the Thai Visa place cost me 40,000 kip (160 baht). (**Be sure you don’t go to the Thai Embassy – that’s not the place to go; look on a map for the visa services place.)

I went to the visa place too late on the day after a four-day weekend. On top of that, I was a little worried because I have a ton of tourist visas in my passport, so I paid the guy in the tent outside extra to process it for me (and I didn't want to come back). I have used him before and I also read on blogs that he has a good reputation. He had my passport and visa delivered to my hotel exactly the time he said he would. His name is Mr. Oun, and tel no. 020 5567 9810 (+856 20 5567 9810).

Doing it all yourself (1000/2000 baht for single/double entry), be sure that you go early and get a number as fast as possible, and bring along something to read. Then go back the next afternoon.

I splurged a little and stayed at the Beau Rivage about a km down from the action on the river to the right. It came with a free breakfast at the Spirit House next door, which is an excellent place to chill out and watch the sunset across the river from their deck. It also came with a free bicycle, which is really handy in Vientiane (especially at night because you don’t have to deal with the tuk-tuks). Other places I looked at costs around $20 per night - and they were fine.

I didn’t run into any of the ‘bad falangs’ like the "experienced" senior TV.com posters warn you about – who are afraid to even acknowledge these possible low forms of life. Instead, I ended up with a great group from France, the U.S, Ireland, UK, Ireland and Canada – and we all started making the Jazzy Brick our meeting place for “aperitifs”, and hitting the main sites during the daytime together.

The Jazzy Brick is near the Nam Phou Fountain, and the manager, Na, is full of information about the city and the country. The bar/restaurant next to the fountain is very popular, called the Khop Chai Due, but has some of the worst Thai food that I have ever had, and the other dishes looked like crap, too. But it is great place to experience with its big open-air bar, pretty staff, and can get very crowded and loud. If you are going to eat local, eat noodles, but not here.

I got my return ticket to Udon Thani for 260 baht. They pick you up at the hotel, run you to the International Bus, make sure you get across into Thailand okay, and then run you to the Udon bus station.

I got this ticket at the travel agent on the soi that has Wat Mixay on one end, and a big, concrete Chinese arch on the river end, and was next to DD something. Next to that was a bar with decent food and pool table and called The City Bar. The owner there also treated us like family by the end of the week and never accepted money for the pool table.

There is a brand new Spanish tapa restaurant on the same soi I believe, called the Pimentón. It is run by Regina and she is a blast – especially for those who habla el español.

The other great meeting place was the Belgian-run ChokDee bar, which has around 170 kinds of beer, run by Vincent. Just ask him his favourite Belgian beer, and you will be surprised how it tastes (it’s called Orval).

You can use Lao Kip, US Dollars and Thai Baht interchangeably. Take small notes. I was warned to not use the ATM’s too much as the Aussie owner of my hotel said that three of his customers lost their ATM cards in the machines in a single month. The banks hold them for three days, he said, but you have to go during business hours on a weekday to get it back.

I tell you all this just so you know how you can get into the flow of this place and explore (and again, I recommend a bike). I also did daytrips. The Beau Rivage owner uses a driver for prices much more reasonable than the daytrip agencies.

Most importantly, you don’t have to have anybody help you with your Thai visa or incur any extra expense if you don’t want.

I caught the last Nok Air flight from Udon back to Don Muang. The price you quoted above does not include the taxes and other charges.

I had some time, so I went into Udon to the market then ate at the soi between the Bus and train stations – the landmark is the Clock Tower pub. Even that was entertaining. But finally back to BKK and smoke, traffic and reality, but with a better frame of mind. Hope you have a good trip, too.