Tourists cancel booking for Koh Samet

webfact

Tourists cancel booking for Koh Samet
The Nation

KOH SAMET: -- The majority of tourists, mostly from Europe and China, have cancelled bookings for Koh Samet following the oil spill which affects only a tiny part of the island, said a business operator.

Pisanu Kemaphan, president of the Rayong accommodation club, said that the tourists show no confidence in the clean-up operations for the oil spill which has been reported worldwide.

"This will cause long-term damage," he said, urging all related government agencies particularly Tourism Authority of Thailand and the media to present good sides of the island.

He noted that 95 per cent of tourist attractions on the island has remained safe from the oil spill, which hits only a tiny part of the western shore.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-30

because as with anything in Thailand, the job is only half done and in triple the time with defects a guarantee.

This will cause long-term damage," he said, urging all related government agencies particularly Tourism Authority of Thailand and the media to present good sides of the island.

Maybe focus on getting the job done and show an efficient and capable management of the clean up will prove to people that the Thai's are competent in protecting their tourist areas.

I am waiting to get info from the NON affected beaches, are any posters on these beaches, if so are any other beaches affected ??/ because no VIP are to inform us if they are.

The percent of affected areas has risen from 5%--to 10% now looks like its even higher. The spokesperson said tourists should still come as its only a minute area that is a problem----same as 50,000 litres Ha Ha------

I am waiting to get info from the NON affected beaches, are any posters on these beaches, if so are any other beaches affected ??/ because no VIP are to inform us if they are.

The percent of affected areas has risen from 5%--to 10% now looks like its even higher. The spokesperson said tourists should still come as its only a minute area that is a problem----same as 50,000 litres Ha Ha------

By the time it gets blown around by the wind and gets pushed around by the current I think it is safe to say, the whole island is going to get some.

They are making this news out to be something of a colossal importance.

People never spend their entire holiday on Koh Samet, but just a few days trip.

Not to worry, oil company responsible can pay a few million baht to the hotels and shops to cover some little losses for a few weeks.

Once cleaned up, show the pics and all the bookings are back on

This is a shitty situation but I think they seem to be doing a decent job of cleaning up - I am only commenting on news as I am not there. this can happen anywhere we use oil ....... I hope they sort it.

those beaches will never be the same. years from now beach goers will be wiping the bottoms of their feet to get the tar off. it will never come out of the rocks completely. any business directly in front of the affected areas will fold. ninety days from now they will still be cleaning up with no end in sight. it is a complete and total disaster.

Not to worry, in a day or 2 TAT will issue a statement that the oil spill has not affected tourist numbers on Koh Samet

and infact, tourist numbers have increase by xx % on the same time last year. TIT

hey hey stop the Thailand bashing ,if you dont like oily beaches and plastic bag trees you can always leave and go back home .

please note this was written in the sarcastic font ,not sure if TV uses it.

nice font lensta.55555

• Like 1

my friends who live opposite the ferry terminal are basically saying that most people they talked to didn't realise there was a problem till they returned and were told about it. the effected bay is off the normal tourist track because most of the roads are so bad there, most just stay on Sai Kaew, Silver Sand, Wong Duan etc on the East coast.

Edited by sandrabbit

those beaches will never be the same. years from now beach goers will be wiping the bottoms of their feet to get the tar off. it will never come out of the rocks completely. any business directly in front of the affected areas will fold. ninety days from now they will still be cleaning up with no end in sight. it is a complete and total disaster.

You have seen it then, in person?

I'll bet that if you go to those beaches in 3 months time, you will be hard pressed to find any residual oil.

I'm on samet at the moment, no sign of any oil from white sands down to tub Tim but that could well change in the next few days. On the plus side, not seen samet so quiet for years, very few tourists here

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks for the news. Any update? A few of us here have trips planned in the next 2 weeks. Need to know whether to cancel or not.

Actually I think the correct figure is 69.5% smile.png honestly why would they have no confidence in the clean up operation? No ploblem

No i believe the 95% maybe correct. Most of the resorts are on the east side, which is completely unaffected by the oil slick,

At least from what I've seen.

PS the people who are here are getting some great deals on room.

People can stay away, there's more left for uswhistling.gif

OK off to my hike around the island to see what i can see from foot. I'll update later.

East side IS completely clean, I'm here since One week now, made a Trip with jetski around The whole Island-and also saw Ao Phrao in 30. July and The imense cleaning operation and manpower there. Today morning channel 3 news broadcasted many hours live from Samet and encouraged People to come and see for themselves-all other beaches are clean!no smell either!yesterday on Na Dan and West coast: 12 (!) big Ships in Action.

Edited by thaifuchs

As usual little concern for the environment and more for the loss of income. It's why tourism is dying in Thailand and will continue to do so. I'm not sure these knuckleheads will ever truly understand what the tourists want. On that note it doesn't seem to be an important factor providing the money keeps flowing.

I'm suppose to be at Sai Kaew on Saturday!!! Interested in more info from those that are at Koh Samet.

The beach is fine as the slick was moving towards the mainland and Suan Son beach, what's left of it anyway. If the resort is on the East coast it will be fine.

Sure... there are other filthy beaches not affected by an oilslick that still has many jetski operators ready to scam you....