The beer lao verdict

jbrain

The beer lao verdict  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it worth the extra money ?

I know every beer produced in Thailand is below standard since it is a thrird world country and doesn't have local access to the ingredients needed to brew quality beer.

So imported beers are the way to go, even if they are brewed in other third world countries in the same region, at least that is what many members on this forum proclaim.

I agree that I will never buy a beer Chang, leo or Singha, as in the first place I prefer spirits over beer, but if I drink a beer I prefer Tiger or San miguel.

I always read on this forum that Beer Lao is one of the best beers avialable in Thailand, so I decided to try Beer Lao dark as it is one of only few dark beers available here at affordable price

Over the past two weeks I finished the biggest part of a box.

My experience is that it has a quite different taste, especially because it is dark and most beers here are lagers, but it is very heavy.

With heavy I don't mean high alcohol, though it's 6.5%, but heavy on the stomach. I have a hard time managing 3 beers on an extended evening, even after 2 I feel bloated, and I can assure you that I would have no problem finishing half a box of Tiger in the same timespan.

So is it a good beer? Not in my opinion, but your mileage may differ.

So the other day I decided to buy 2 bottles of Beer lao lager,only to know if it had the same bloating effect and if it was premium to other beers available. It was a bit more easy on the stomach, but the taste was to me nothing different compared to other lagers like Tiger or San Miguel, which come at a considerable lower price.

So you know my opinion, and I would love to hear your thoughts about this particular brand of beer.

Is it worth the extra money or is it just a overhyped craze which will blow over soon.

Edited by jbrain

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a couple of times Singha 0.5 liter bottles direct from the wholesale.

There are throw away bottles or bottles that will be refilled.

It tastes much "cleaner" than the normal Singha. It is still no brewers artwork but it is OK.

IMHO, over rated, over hyped and over priced, way too yeasty for me.

Too be honest it says more about how crap Thai beers really are when beer lao is seen as an improvement or a better choice.

Its utter crap, better beers available in Asia, however protectionist, xenophobic, nationalist or self interset laws mean spirits are the best of a bad choice.

• Like 2

I had 1 beer lao a few nights ago, first time ive ever tried it.... I thought it was good compaired to thai standards... I found it to have much more flavor. My palate is different than most though, state side I drink IPAs and extremely hoppy beera exclusively.... not a big fan of lagers.

Sent from my GT-I9500

amazing how people seem to be able to relate their two bit verdict on Asian attitudes to the brewing of beer....

My verdict? Beer Lao is best sipped at sunset by the Mekong, preferably on the Lao side.

But the question was actually if the premium of beer lao over other beers at the Thai side is justified.

I understand that at the Lao side there is not much other choice as drinking Beer lao

I know every beer produced in Thailand is below standard

frankly, I can't see much difference between Leo, Singha or even Cheers and basic German-brewed lager.

For me, Thai beer is just ok, albeit a bit on the expensive side.

• Like 2

I haven't tried the Dark but I prefer the Light to the Thai lagers, but only by a nose. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

I'm going with Samran though, it seems to taste better on the Lao side of the Mekong.

You prefer it over the Thai lagers, but do you prefer it also over the Non Thai lagers which are available at 30% discount over Beer Lao.

I assume that both San Miguel and Tiger beer are foreign brands, is that correct ?

Edited by jbrain

I haven't tried the Dark but I prefer the Light to the Thai lagers, but only by a nose. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

I'm going with Samran though, it seems to taste better on the Lao side of the Mekong.

You prefer it over the Thai lagers, but do you prefer it also over the Non Thai lagers which are available at 30% discount over Beer Lao.

I assume that both San Miguel and Tiger beer are foreign brands, is that correct ?

As far as San Miguel and Tiger being foreign brands...

Recently my dad came out to visit. A Thai friend insisted on taking us out for a drink, and picked Khaosan Road (go figure).

Anyhow, whatever bar we wound up in was pushing San Miguel pretty hard that night. The place was pack full of San Miguel girls, and when they brought the menu around the only options on the menu were San Miguel, Tiger, and Heineken.

I asked them, "don't you have any Thai beers?"

One of the San Miguel girls piped up, "San Miguel is Thai beer. It's made in Pathum Thani." laugh.png

San Miguel girl: 1; Andrew Rooney: 0

Anyhow as to your original question, I would say, no, Beer Lao is not worth the premium in Thailand. If you're ever in Lao it is quite pleasant though.

Mmmm did someone say beer?

Chang - the Thai equivalent of Harp lager (having nicked some of my dads as a kid, once tasted never forgotten) ie an abomination before man and God

Singha - drinkable, esp in large amounts so by time 10 pm rolls around you don't care anymore, tastebuds having being liquidated by the million

Leo I ain't tried, Heiniken can get back home so why bother in Thailand? Can't stand San Miguel, the Mexicans are having a right laugh at the expense of the gringo's

Any way that's my ill informed 2p's worth

Mmmm did someone say beer?

Chang - the Thai equivalent of Harp lager (having nicked some of my dads as a kid, once tasted never forgotten) ie an abomination before man and God

Singha - drinkable, esp in large amounts so by time 10 pm rolls around you don't care anymore, tastebuds having being liquidated by the million

Leo I ain't tried, Heiniken can get back home so why bother in Thailand? Can't stand San Miguel, the Mexicans are having a right laugh at the expense of the gringo's

Any way that's my ill informed 2p's worth

Why would the Mexicans be having a right laugh, San Miguel is from the Philippines, not Mexico.

Here's a delicious brewdog from Mexico!

post-46099-0-50258100-1375398365_thumb.j

• Like 2

I notice several members in this thread mention that Beer Lao tastes better on the Laos side as on the Thai side, which I have a hard time to believe.

Laos isn't exactly thousands of miles away from Thailand and in Laos it also has to be transported in the same climate circumstances, so I can't imagine this would have any effect on the final product.

As for the bloating, so far I have experienced this only with one other beer, and that is Chang, which actually is about the cheapest you can buy in Thailand, so I guess that the bloating is related to the quality of the beer.

But what surprises me is that my decision to purchase a box of Beer Lao was actually based on the continous praising of the beer on this forum several months ago. Yet not many members with the same feeling have turned into this thread.

Is it that they prefer to refrain from comment or is it that their previous praising was actually without experiencing the beer and more based on hearsay, and have they since changed their minds?

We all know that the grass is always greener at the other side and change of food makes people eat.

Maybe it just feels like home, maybe the supply chain being shorter is an advantage. I lived in Bitburg, Germany, and I drank within sight of the famous Bitburger brewery. Bitburger draught in Bitburg was the best lager I've ever tasted.

Just sayin'.

Maybe it just feels like home, maybe the supply chain being shorter is an advantage. I lived in Bitburg, Germany, and I drank within sight of the famous Bitburger brewery. Bitburger draught in Bitburg was the best lager I've ever tasted.

Just sayin'.

I get your point about the supply chain and your example of Bittburger, but I think it's out of proportion when you compare the size of Laos with that of Bittburg.

I don't know the size of Laos compared with Thailand, and also don't know where exactly the brewery is located, but I wouldn't be surprised if the transport distance to Thailand is comparable with the distance it has to travel for distribution within Laos.